PDA

View Full Version : YFZ450R question

Dirtblast
01-17-2009, 05:06 PM
i just picked up my new 450r today. i have read on the forums about them running lean from the factory. My header pipe is glowing red, is this normal? The mechanic at my cycle shop said this was fine. Im worried that its not. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did u fix it without a new power commander?

WarBirdMech
01-17-2009, 05:13 PM
yes its normal. all yfzs do this

younggun95
01-17-2009, 08:40 PM
I dont know about it being bad or not, but neither of my new R's glow red.

AR1
01-18-2009, 03:58 AM
Its Normal no worry, enjoy the ride man

jersey devil
01-18-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't know if you can say it is normal and leave it at that?Just because there are other new r's that the head pipe is glowing red doesn't mean that it is okay?
I understand that the header pipe is made of stainless steal and if it is a very thin gauge stainless this has been known to happen but if some are doing it and some aren't then there is either a intake leak or a lean conditon here that needs to be addressed.
The thing that concerns me is that if it is a lean condition then that makes me uncomfortable.As we all know that is not good.Motor runs hotter and a condition that can cause many other problems if running it hard.
Considering it is a new quad I can only hope that yamaha has there **** together here.For one I'am not happy that even the dealers don't have any access to a commander from the factory to tune these new r's?Whats up with that?If it is not ready for the market why cut it lose.Also what are we the ginea pigs here for the factorys first year model?
All is fine and well if we as owners just say oh well this is the way they are and just ignore.But I believe we deserve a bit more attention and service to this matter.It's not like they are giving away these r's.We are paying a good price and we should have a fine product.
Maybe I'am jumping the gun here but it is definetly a issue that should be dealt with.I know when I pick mine up this week I sure will not leave with it if the header pipe is glowing red???????
There are many readers on this site and I'am sure that some know someone that is an insider at a dealer or factory rep and will address this matter for us.

AR1
01-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I say it's normal coz I sold 20 of them all same and the normal. YFZ450 main was same.

jersey devil
01-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Are we talking about yfz450 or the new yfz450r?

WarBirdMech
01-18-2009, 08:27 PM
they both do it 450 and 450R. its normal.
every one ive seen, worked on or ridden do it. read every thread on every forum about this topic. they all say the same. normal. enjoy your new ride, man. put some heat wrap on it to save them legs

jersey devil
01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
well thanks guys..guess I'am to find out this week?Will let you know..

Dirtblast
01-18-2009, 10:00 PM
i got out and rode it some today. ran great!! glow wasn't visible in the daylight. thanks for all the replys

tedwilley
01-19-2009, 06:13 PM
All of the single walled headers will do that in low light situations (evening, early dawn, night time) if they are idling for awhile.

jersey devil
01-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Okay it is as I said in my original post that it could be thin gauge header pipe.Have had the same thing on car headers from the cheap ones that are thin.Good to hear it is not a lean factor.Rather cheap pipe!
Now I understand.Thanks for everyones info.