PDA

View Full Version : idk where to start

400EXtreme
01-17-2009, 03:55 PM
So the passed year or so i have been without a ride and i have just been dieing to ride. So last july i picked up this 03 rm125 that i was told only needed crank bearings. And he was asking only $800 for it so i said to myself this is a great deal. Its a very nice bike. Its got some goodies on it too. Bars, reeds, pipe, black excel rims, nice graphics. But a wise man once told me that he wouldn't do it because there is usually something else wrong with it. And boy was he right.(Kxrida :p) But i guess i just wanted to ride. So a couple days after i brought it home i was cleaning it and i saw a piece of the crankcase by the flywheel broke off that i must of missed when i was looking it over before i bought it. I couldn't believe it i was so upset. Since then i have been looking for that side of the crankcase but i couldn't find anything on ebay. But i found a very nice 03 bottom end on ebay that i bought. So i ordered a new top end and everything. So my friend and i brought my bike into my basement because it was too cold in my garage. So we put it all together, we turn the gas on, and what do you know gas just started pouring from the carb. I was like great just my luck. So the next day we took it out, cleaned it, put it all back together and it was fine. So it was time to start it. Boy was i nervous lol. So we were both kicking it over for awhile and it wouldn't start. I was really losing faith in it. We decided to try and pop start it. Carrying it out of the basement was much harder then bringing it down their with no engine in it. The closest hill is probably like a half mile from my house. So my friend followed me in the truck in case it didn't start so we could just put it in the back and bring it home. It was getting close when we were pop starting it. We both had nothing left in us so we decided to just bring it home and try another day. I was bringing it into my garage and we were like what the heck lets try it one last time. It kept getting closer and closer then it finally started. I still can't believe it im so excited. Sorry for the novel i just didn't know what to do with all this excitement. Here is a picture of the bike. It was taking with my phone so thats why it isn't the best. Too bad its suppose to snow tomorrow.

250ex13
01-17-2009, 04:33 PM
sick
gotta go ridin mark

250r rider 88
01-17-2009, 04:36 PM
glad to know you got it going looks like a really nice bike, how much more did you have to put into it after the 800?

Ruby Soho
01-17-2009, 06:32 PM
looks like a cool bike, glad you got it goin

i been considering trading my pitbike for a big bike lately.. possibly going with a 450 if i do so. not sure yet though, i might miss the 110 to much haha

400EXtreme
01-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by 250r rider 88
glad to know you got it going looks like a really nice bike, how much more did you have to put into it after the 800? um somewhere around 600. So the total is somewhere around 1400. Not too bad.

250r rider 88
01-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 400EXtreme
um somewhere around 600. So the total is somewhere around 1400. Not too bad.

no thats not bad at all sweet bike man enjoy it

KXRida
01-17-2009, 09:36 PM
haha yah I speak from experience. Either the owner doesn't know the worth, or there is an underlying problem. It still wouldn't hurt to do a compression test on it. Sounds like you may be ailing from low compression or just sitting. I'd still throw it on a compression tester and see what she reads. Probably wouldn't hurt to re-ring it either. Glad to hear you got it going though. Keep us posted on how she runs. The rm's are top end screamers, so be prepared to really work that clutch! Also, while you're in the motor dept. take a peek at the clutch. RM's are noted for pretty junk clutch from 88-current. Mostly their clutch baskets, but their plates aren't anything special either. I personally replaced mine with hinson after going through two factory clutch baskets and never had a problem with mine. Granted when all was said and done I had close to $1000 in hinson components in my bike, but never did I have a clutch issue again lol.

400EXtreme
01-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
haha yah I speak from experience. Either the owner doesn't know the worth, or there is an underlying problem. It still wouldn't hurt to do a compression test on it. Sounds like you may be ailing from low compression or just sitting. I'd still throw it on a compression tester and see what she reads. Probably wouldn't hurt to re-ring it either. Glad to hear you got it going though. Keep us posted on how she runs. The rm's are top end screamers, so be prepared to really work that clutch! Also, while you're in the motor dept. take a peek at the clutch. RM's are noted for pretty junk clutch from 88-current. Mostly their clutch baskets, but their plates aren't anything special either. I personally replaced mine with hinson after going through two factory clutch baskets and never had a problem with mine. Granted when all was said and done I had close to $1000 in hinson components in my bike, but never did I have a clutch issue again lol. Haha yeah i put a whole new top end in. I gotta play around with the clutch a little. Its not engaging right.

KXRida
01-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Haha yeah i put a whole new top end in. I gotta play around with the clutch a little. Its not engaging right.

more info on it. Is it creeping forward when in gear? Try your cables first, but it may also be the little washer on the clutch basket. hehe you'll have a love/hate relationship with your rm clutch. I owe most of my bike skills to riding a 125. It really teaches you the insides and out of riding, and espeically how important it is to use the clutch lol. Once you start getting some ride time in, you'll see what I mean. I carried all of that over to the four strokes and now I feel much faster.

400EXtreme
01-17-2009, 10:31 PM
more info on it. Is it creeping forward when in gear? Try your cables first, but it may also be the little washer on the clutch basket. hehe you'll have a love/hate relationship with your rm clutch. I owe most of my bike skills to riding a 125. It really teaches you the insides and out of riding, and espeically how important it is to use the clutch lol. Once you start getting some ride time in, you'll see what I mean. I carried all of that over to the four strokes and now I feel much faster. Yep exactly i'm going to fool around with the cable first. Has that happened to you before?

KXRida
01-18-2009, 05:55 AM
Yep exactly i'm going to fool around with the cable first. Has that happened to you before?

My 97 rm used to do it real bad. Actually running different oils and adjusting the clutch did the trick. Oh I also replaced that washer thing as well. I don't know why but almost every rm I ride does that. I'd be on the gate and have to hold the front brakes because the bike would creep forward haha.

400EXtreme
01-18-2009, 03:08 PM
My 97 rm used to do it real bad. Actually running different oils and adjusting the clutch did the trick. Oh I also replaced that washer thing as well. I don't know why but almost every rm I ride does that. I'd be on the gate and have to hold the front brakes because the bike would creep forward haha. At first its impossible. Once you click down to first it stalls. But after that its not that bad. But it still feels wierd. Its so hard to explain.