View Full Version : White smoking EX400

brains
01-17-2009, 02:20 PM
We just purchased a 2003 EX400 yesterday which pumps out a ton of WHITE SMOKE. We had it idling and revving it numerous times and it smoked for the entire 5 minutes. It doesn't smell like burning oil though.
I normally would think this was coolant since the smoke is white.
This EX sat in the previous owners garage for a long time. Could it be bad gas or oil leaking into the cylinder?
I just need someplace to start and I thought some of you experienced EX'rs out there might have some clue.
Thanks.

ginobili07
01-17-2009, 02:36 PM
It might be bad gas if it sat for a while and wasnt run at all, i woul just wait and see if it gets better with use, then go from there.

buck440
01-17-2009, 03:18 PM
cant be coolant since its an air cooled motor

dsherw00d
01-17-2009, 03:24 PM
I would drain the gas from tank and carb, change the oil and go.

Snipe
01-17-2009, 03:29 PM
I agree with that drain that gas Just pull the fuel line off the carb and turn the petcock on then open the vent on the bowl of the carb drain that thing bone dry. You can drain it in a 5Gal bucket just incase it isnt the gas.

Then drain the oil dont reuse the oil just drain and dispose.

Replace it with some fresh gas (make sure turning the drain vent on the bowl off and putting the fuel line on lol)

Put some new oil in er and fire it off.

rob_990
01-17-2009, 04:37 PM
it could be the weather to if its really cold out

brains
01-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks bro's! We will drain the gas tank and carb of the old fuel, hopefully it hasn't varnished up in the carb. And then the oil and filter will be changed.
The white smoke has a weird smell to it. It's familiar, but can't quite place it yet. It must be the old gas. I guess smoking is bad for your health....