PDA

View Full Version : 2003 400EX wont start...makes whinning noise

NosCivic01
01-17-2009, 09:42 AM
ive been riding my quad this whole winter with no problems at all. started everytime. i recently put in a new battery and rode it last sunday. now today i go to start it and its making a whinning noise as if the starter was not spinning a gear in the trans or something.

i took of the cover to the starter to see whats going on and took out the gear that connects the starter to the gear in the trans. hit the starter and it spins fine. then i put the gear back in and crank it and they spin fine but it sounds like something is still not spinning. any suggestions???? sometimes the bike would crank n then stop for a sec n crank again. if anyone has any info please let me know thanks.

leasureryan
01-17-2009, 10:26 AM
one way bearing/starter clutch

katch26
01-17-2009, 10:38 AM
one way or flywheel key. when you put the gear in and hit the button was in turning the flywheel? if not sometimes the flywheel key will sheer off and not turn the flywheel with the crank

NosCivic01
01-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by leasureryan
one way bearing/starter clutch

when i first took out the gear and started it, the starter geaer (skinny shaft) spun good. then i spun the gear in the trans (flywheel?) by hand and it spun, so i put the middle gear to connect the starter and that in and put the cover back on. so im guessing its spinning. that is the flywheel correct? i work on cars at a honda dealer but these are new to me to work on.

NosCivic01
01-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by katch26
one way or flywheel key. when you put the gear in and hit the button was in turning the flywheel? if not sometimes the flywheel key will sheer off and not turn the flywheel with the crank

maybe thats whats wrong with it, cause i think the flywheel is spinning but it sounds like the crank isnt at all. is this a common problem? and most important a cheap fix? i will do it myself but im not sure what is involved...

katch26
01-17-2009, 10:46 AM
flywheel....is this turning but the flywheel staying still?

NosCivic01
01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
flywheel....is this turning but the flywheel staying still?

the little gear that goes to that is the starter gear? if so yes that gear is spinning but the cranks sounds like its not...i hear no motor turning over.

katch26
01-17-2009, 10:52 AM
not sure what honda calls it but on my polaris its called the starter reduction gear and the one behind the flywheel (big one) is called the starter gear

NosCivic01
01-17-2009, 10:55 AM
not sure what honda calls it but on my polaris its called the starter reduction gear and the one behind the flywheel (big one) is called the starter gear

well it sounds possible that the key is broken and the crank is not spinning..because the gear spings in the motor and the starter spins too. but the crank is not. im going to take off the cover and see whats going on.