PDA

View Full Version : cold natured ltr

jkiserracing
01-16-2009, 08:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone elses ltr was hard to start in the cold. I havent had mine very long. Ive been doing some work to it....new uni filter, exhaust etc....any way I fired it up for the first time last night for only a minute with the new exhaust and filter (left off the air filter box lid) a cherry bomb was all ready installed when I got it.........anyway.....I wanted to crank it up today and let it run for a few minutes just to make sure every thing was good and I cant get it to start....it did for about 15 seconds and i cant get it back again.....the tempature really dropped here from last night though...it about 25 degrees tonight.......so any ideas
thanks.

pitcrew
01-16-2009, 08:30 PM
i started mine a little bit ago...gettin ready for a indoor race tomorrow. it fired right up. im in st louis and its like 5 degrees.

jkiserracing
01-16-2009, 08:43 PM
well i havent had much problem starting it before......now i wonder if i may have fouled a plug......so with the fuel injection can you flood it like a carb? I did hit the throttle while trying to start it

honda250xman
01-16-2009, 11:07 PM
this is what i was told. the ltr primes itself when you turn the key on so really it could "flood" but in all actuality you probably fouled a plug if you started it and turned it right back off after fifteen seconds. if you are going to start it you have to let it warm up to make sure you dont foul the plug. but yeah i would check the plug first it was me.

jkiserracing
01-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Yeah....it started as I said and I hit the throttle slightly and it killed the motor and since then it hasnt started.....I may go ahead and change the plug today and see what happens,,,

Drewltr450
01-17-2009, 04:51 PM
get your hand away from the throttle. Its not like a carb. The fuel injected bikes start best with the throttle in idle position. Mine stats in 10 degree weather after about 2 seconds let it prime then dont touch the throttle and start it. It should start right up.

jkiserracing
01-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Ok...aggravating lesson to learn because it was definately the spark plug....I didnt know that i would have to take half the quad apart to replace it......after replacing it did just as yours....started right up......ill keep my thumb off the throttle from now on when starting it.....

pitcrew
01-18-2009, 11:35 AM
what kind of spark plug did u put in???...im thinkin about replacin mine with a good one. i heard its a piece to take all that off just to change the spark plug.

jkiserracing
01-18-2009, 07:40 PM
I just replaced it with the same NKG that was in before....now that ive done it once it might not seem as bad to get to it the next time but front fenders tank cover and gas tank itself have to move out of the way to get to it though......