PDA

View Full Version : K&N vs Foam

ryder_trig
01-16-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm hearing conflicting results from my buddies. Some people say the K&N is too thin and lets in dirt even with a pre filter and to run a UNI filter instaed. Then others say that the friggin UNI lets in dirt. The one I was going to buy is from modquad and comes with a K&N style filter with a pre filter and a metal adapter plate. I just wondered what you guys thought.

brian76708
01-16-2009, 05:12 PM
not this again plz use the search on the bottom or else there will be a big 10pg argument haha

Pipeless416
01-16-2009, 05:38 PM
:eek2:

ryder_trig
01-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
not this again plz use the search on the bottom or else there will be a big 10pg argument haha Tried that..... guess I'll try again

ryder_trig
01-16-2009, 07:44 PM
ok Im an idiot I found the 10 page argument on air filters ha ha

buster024
01-16-2009, 07:45 PM
If everyone just used the search feature, we'd never talk about anything ever again. Big deal if we start a new 10 page thread....

Anyway, I've ran a K&N in both my bikes for 3 years now, and have been very satisfied. There are definitely people on this site that have very strong opinions about both. I can only speak from my personal experience that K&N (along with regular maintenance) will more than likely work fine for most of your riding applications.
I briefly thought about switching to a foam, and I'm sure it would work fine....maybe better.
Either way, don't let anyone on here, tell you that a K&N blew up their bike, or that you're stupid for using one. There are much bigger decisions to make on your bike, and either air filter will work great!!

smelly$cat
01-16-2009, 08:10 PM
With either filter, I think keeping it clean and properly oiled is the key. The oil is what grabs the dirt etc... as it passes through the filter. I have a K&N on each of my EX's. I also have a outerwears slipped on each as well. The rubber tube they connect to is usually clean, but oily when I remove the filter. Sometimes there is a bit of dirt on the oil in the tube <little grimmy>. My experience...

I'd be open to try a UNI filter and see if it does any better job of keeping the tube clean over time. I can't see myself ever wearing out these K&N filters though.

buck440
01-17-2009, 01:36 AM
it blew up my bike and it sucks and it gave me a cold :D not but i'd use it cause its so famous, dont know why,but it is.

leasureryan
01-17-2009, 10:22 AM
just depends...if you like chewing up intake valves and overall sucking in dirt......buy a K&N

If you like protecting your motor as much as you possibly can.....go with foam

K&N were designed for street use...they just use thier name to make more bank in every area they can. IMO... K&N = junk

Pipeless416
01-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
just depends...if you like chewing up intake valves and overall sucking in dirt......buy a K&N

If you like protecting your motor as much as you possibly can.....go with foam

K&N were designed for street use...they just use thier name to make more bank in every area they can. IMO... K&N = junk

and ive been using a k&n in some of the worst conditions for over 4 years with no ill effects. all it takes is regular cleaning.. but i forgot, you know best.

400ex28
01-17-2009, 01:04 PM
uni

hornetgod13
01-17-2009, 01:26 PM
I knew this thread would start another ridiculous argument. Here we go again :rolleyes:

Pipeless416
01-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I knew this thread would start another ridiculous argument. Here we go again :rolleyes:

haha no kidding. im just really starting to get annoyed when members consider their word the only possible option. very useful information was easy to find a couple years ago.. now its only about making claims with no factual evidence to back it up. :rolleyes: thats why i would rather just have people say what has been working for them or what hasn't worked based on actual experience.. not a formulated opinion based on hearsay.

hornetgod13
01-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Honestly, the constant bickering and "my space" kids have ruined this forum. It's a shame a few can ruin it for so many. I've moved on to better forums. I only come in here every once in a while now.

400ex28
01-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I run a k&n on my truck but not on my quad.

NacsMXer
01-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
I run a k&n on my truck but not on my quad.

Same

leasureryan
01-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
and ive been using a k&n in some of the worst conditions for over 4 years with no ill effects. all it takes is regular cleaning.. but i forgot, you know best.

First and Last warning

1. If you don't like someone, make believe you do or don't respond. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

01-18-2009, 01:12 AM
Been running K&N with no probs. My intake is perfectly clean when I take it off. All you gotta do is get a recharge kit and its good as new. No matter what filter you got, as long as you take care of it and clean it, you are fine.

hornetgod13
01-18-2009, 06:38 AM
leasureryan,
You need to chill out! I agree with your filter choice but, not how you deal with peope's differing opinions. Your last response is begging to get you banned. Honestly, I reported it. If you don't get banned, you better consider yourself lucky and learn from it. Grow up and think your responses through before posting.

hornetgod13
01-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by leasureryan
First and Last warning

1. If you don't like someone, make believe you do or don't respond. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Lucky......Hopefully you learn from this.

Jersey450R
01-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I love when people delete their posts because they are afraid there're going to get banned, only to later realize they were quoted before that, LOL!

Pipeless416
01-18-2009, 11:58 AM
i think ive seen this before, but i am considering switching to a foam filter because of length issues. i made an aluminum airbox that relocates the battery into it, and after a few bad TIG welds, it ended up being too short :p . now its a paint to get the filter in and out. does anybody know how a uni compares in length to a k&n?

hornetgod13
01-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
I love when people delete their posts because they are afraid there're going to get banned, only to later realize they were quoted before that, LOL!

A moderator deleted it after he was quoted. Can we move on?

I'm a UNI fan for off road but, have K&N filters in all my on road vehicles.

sprayedgt
01-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by buster024
If everyone just used the search feature, we'd never talk about anything ever again. Big deal if we start a new 10 page thread....

Tell me about it:rolleyes:

Go with a UNI. K&N gives slightly better flow, but you sacrifice filtration. 1/10th hp is not worth letting some dirt through.

odog
01-18-2009, 12:31 PM
i use uni but everyone i ride with uses k&n the only problem i saw with the k&n is when we went through a puddle 2 of the guys with k&n had trouble riding because there filter got wet.

01-18-2009, 12:46 PM
^ like stated before never had any problems with my K&N. I go through everything. Just get an outerwears.

DuwBra
01-18-2009, 01:15 PM
I have had the chance to use both and for the average person like myself who rides here and there with his buddies on their farm and goes on riding trips from time to time I prefer the K&N. Simply because if you dont ride but during the weekends then you dont have to worry about any dirt or water getting into your engine. Just take care of it like your supposed to and you'll get all the K&N performance with none of the problems. I dont ride a whole lot so I dont know how they hold up to extreme riding conditions but when I do ride, I ride hard and enjoy everybit of the free flowing K&N!

brian76708
01-18-2009, 06:12 PM
i use knn just because thats what my quad had on it when i bought it personally i like uni better but i think as long as u keep up with cleaning it then a knn is fine with a prefilter. the only thing is it seems like you have to clean knn's more frequently.

rob_990
01-18-2009, 06:18 PM
uni - filters better
k&n - more air flow

Gibson
01-18-2009, 08:10 PM
i've had my K&n for over a year and i've had no problems with it. I recharge it every oil change. I never find dust/dirt or anything in my intake tube. like everyone else said, it depends on how you take care of it. And my outerwears helps a whole lot. I ride in water and mud but nothing gets through my filter. Everyone has their own opinion so i say go with K&N w/outerwaers

ensenadamark
01-19-2009, 09:14 PM
ok, let me finish this.....I made a bigger air box and now I use a k and n, a uni filter and a butterfly net.

SHIFTx450
11-27-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm looking at the modquad filter for my hybrid, it has an aluminum airbox. The modquad k&n appears to be longer in length? Also, will it fit the stock intake tube? I don't feel like spending the money right now for the adapter plate..

finsteratv
11-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by ensenadamark
ok, let me finish this.....I made a bigger air box and now I use a k and n, a uni filter and a butterfly net.
same here
i dont have money for a dyno so i go by wheelie time:blah: added atleast 10sec to mine so im guessing 5hp? if you add the k&n and uni stickers you dont need a filter:p