PDA

View Full Version : anybody ever build there own parts?

S.A.J
01-16-2009, 12:36 PM
hey just wondering if anybody else ever tried or did build there own parts or even thought about it or had ideas feel free to share pics experiences ideas or watever.i myself have built my own pipe about 2 or 3 years ago that i got betr top end gains outa,i was able to pop the 450 all the way up in 4th which i cldnt before with the fmf i had on it,my pipe was wayyy the heavy though and didnt have any packing and was wayy too loud sounded kinda crappy. i wana try and build my own a-arms soon though,they seem like theyd be fairly easy,ive been thinking about the swing-arm too,seems to me you could make em much lighter than stock,the hard part for me would be to figure out how to build the back part the housing for the axle.pipes seem like they should be kinda easy too,get some aluminum a rivet gun packing make your own tip,might take awhile but seems to be posible.bumpers and grab bars seems like theyd be easy too. anybody got ideas,pics,experiences etc. please post up,should make for an interesting thread.

gcart2
01-16-2009, 01:40 PM
it sure would be cool. i think it would be hard to do a arms, kinda risky too. if you come up with anything make sure you let us know.

440ex kid
01-16-2009, 01:51 PM
A-arms wouldnt be to hard to build. Chromoly tubing, a few bends and welds. The real problem is getting the geometry correct. shock mount locations, length, and many other factors play a big role is designing a-arms. you have to have a proper leverage ratio to be able to build the correct shock. Im sure you could slap something together, but making an a-arm that works correctly is more complicated then it seems.

dingocatcher
01-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I had a set of home made a arms on a banshee for mx bout 10 yrs ago and they where great!! If the right man builds them, they'll be fine! I had mine made all rose jointed to the frame for full ajustabilty and had the bottom ones made with more brackets for the shocks to bolt into so the bike could be lowered or rasied via the shocks depending on the racing i was doing. Really good setup wish i had pic's for ya...

But its not impossible!!

S.A.J
01-16-2009, 02:24 PM
once my 400 sells ima have the money to buy the parts to fix up my 450r and then im gona look into i think,i know it wont be a walk in the park but it cant be that hard,we shall see and i'll post up if i come up with somthing.also whats chromolly tubing exactly,is that what would be the best tubing to use?

dingocatcher
01-16-2009, 02:31 PM
also whats chromolly tubing exactly,is that what would be the best tubing to use?

Chromolly tubing is what most bicycle frames are made out of, and its prob the best to use, but im no engineering expert so id do a bit more researh on it first

S.A.J
01-16-2009, 02:41 PM
would you have to use a welder made for welding aluminum on chromoly or is it still weldable with the usual stuff? also anyone know if you can get this at your local steel place? oh and dinocatcher how much wider than stock were your a-arms?

TAZ450r
01-16-2009, 03:47 PM
this is awsome
http://www.atvforum.se/Forum/index.php?topic=11482.0
i would love to have a quad i built my self!

i make nerfbars, heelguards, skidplates and other simpel parts my self to save some money

WilRideAnything
01-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by TAZ450r
this is awsome
http://www.atvforum.se/Forum/index.php?topic=11482.0
i would love to have a quad i built my self!

i make nerfbars, heelguards, skidplates and other simpel parts my self to save some money

That's a cool thread. I wish i could read it.

DEERCHOOPER
01-17-2009, 07:50 AM
ill have to look around again, but there is a site that you can buy the parts for the swinger and make your own.

ill be back

DEERCHOOPER
01-17-2009, 07:53 AM
here it is.

http://jjandaracing.com/

wayfastwhitey69
01-17-2009, 09:27 AM
i fabbed up a set of +2 a arms for my r and on my old warrior i fabbed th a arms on that too and made a full exhaust

S.A.J
01-17-2009, 10:22 AM
hey wayfastwhitey69 you got any pics?also how did that workout for you and how much it cost you?also what materials did you use for the exhaust and the arms and did you have good power gains? also deerchooper thanks for the link,i dont have time to look through it now but it certainly looks interesting keep em coming guys,this could and already has turned out to be a helpful thread for anybody thats looking into building there own stuff,i love it already :cool: oh one more thing,wayfastwhitey69 do you have your own pipe bender or did you just get it done somwhere?

250x_kyle
01-17-2009, 11:57 AM
haven tried any major components yet. id like to build a swingarm.

aluminum airbox i made
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/needanewquad/PICT0026-2.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/needanewquad/PICT0025-2.jpg

i should have some shock rezzie clamps in the works this week

ss440ex
01-17-2009, 01:18 PM
An exhaust I did...

atvnut22
01-17-2009, 01:18 PM
my 300 had a homemade swinger on it when i bought it, it broke in half like a month after i got it, but i have made 2 grab bars for my buddys yfz

ss440ex
01-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Air box and exhaust/siliencer...
450r brake calip on a 400ex

ss440ex
01-17-2009, 01:23 PM

ss440ex
01-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Another silencer..

ss440ex
01-17-2009, 04:51 PM
My daughters 04 450r head pipe.

250x_kyle
01-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by ss440ex
My daughters 04 450r head pipe.

thats some nice clean work. wish i had a tig laying around in my shop. someday :) . if only there was more time to work. may only be 17 but i hate sitting and working in the books. id rather do slave labor. :blah:

S.A.J
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
wow good work everybody,ss440ex very nice looking exhaust's,looks very perfesional,first silencer reminds me of a sparks and the last one(my fav one) looks almost like a dasa,love em,what kinda power you getin outa em?also i think ima start up with building a-arms,then mayb a swinger,thennn mayb lookin into things id dread in a way but still wana try it which would be an exhaust lol...keep em comin pple great input so far!!!

ss440ex
01-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks!
The head pipe on my daughters is a White brothers full system.
The big U bend titanium head pipe cracked out.
Leaving me to creat one of my own.

ss440ex
01-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Rear view...

250x_kyle
01-17-2009, 10:29 PM
did u machine that tip? if u did, did you do it manualy or cnc? that looks so professional

ss440ex
01-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Manually....
I did a few others, can`t find the pics,or I did`nt take any!

wayfastwhitey69
01-18-2009, 09:53 AM
man that is some clean work right there, you should start selling them

S.A.J
01-18-2009, 12:14 PM
very VERY nice ss440ex,have you had it on a dyno?

ss440ex
01-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by S.A.J
very VERY nice ss440ex,have you had it on a dyno?

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Dynoed...No

Just a lot of personal repairs and maintence work on a few friends yz426 conversions.

S.A.J
01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
your more than welcome on my part.absolutly awesome work man,how long you been welding?is it easy to tig weld?all i got is a mig,with an extra spool gun to weld aluminum

dingocatcher
01-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by S.A.J
would you have to use a welder made for welding aluminum on chromoly or is it still weldable with the usual stuff? also anyone know if you can get this at your local steel place? oh and dinocatcher how much wider than stock were your a-arms?

They where +2 and fully adjustable top and bottom on rose joint so you could narrow them in a bit too

S.A.J
01-19-2009, 05:31 PM
thats cool,but theres one thing ive never understood.how can you adjust your a-arms,or what can you adjust on them?

S.A.J
01-20-2009, 11:56 AM
surely sombody can explain this

Fred55
01-20-2009, 12:47 PM
I think they mean adjusting the Castor and Camber. Which is the angle of the spindle/wheel in relation to the ground and the machine.

S.A.J
01-20-2009, 08:41 PM
idk if i get it yet but i got a dif question now,lol. on the website posted up earlier where you could by parts to make your own a-arms and swing-arms in the a-arms section theres heim joints and theres tie-rod ends and mis-alingment bushings.wat are all these for,can you use heim joints were the arms bolt on the frame insteed of bearings?also wouldnt you use tie rod end for the ends of the arms were it bolts onto the spindle and wouldnt both upper and lower arms use tie rod ends?

dustin_j
01-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Not sure if it will make sense in words, but I'll give it a shot.

To adjust camber, you vary the length of the top a-arm. This can be done where the ball joint mounts to the arm (either by threading the hole or by turning a nut on the back). AND/OR you can use heims to mount the arm to the frame, and adjust how far they are screwed into the top a-arm.

To adjust castor, you make the top a-arms so that they don't fill the entire gap in the frame (width-wise). This way you can use the spacers you saw on that website to move the top a-arm forward or backward and adjust castor.

Hope this helps, it's always cool to see other people making their own parts. This is how aftermarket companies are started.

S.A.J
01-21-2009, 12:29 PM
ahhhh i think i get it now mostly atleast,so being able to adjust the castor is optional on some a-arms correct?also if you use heim joints to bolt em to the frame then you have to use spacers? also what are the pros on being able to move the top a-arms forward and backwards,is it noticable when your riding? i think im starting to get it,just need that answered yet,thanks dustin_j for going into detail like that,i apreciate it and once again thank you to everyone that has participated in this thread yall've been most helpful and keep em coming.

dingocatcher
01-21-2009, 03:07 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433

If you have a look at this thread there is a load of a arm facts, figures that will explain castor camber etc and hopefully make it a lot eaiser to understand.. I had a read through it the other night and thought it was very good!!

S.A.J
01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
i actually have read it over twice and i did again now and it made lil more sense but like my question is as follows: if you were to use heim joints for the upper arms were they bolt to the frame,you only have mayb 1/2 and inch mayb 3/4 that you can slide it to make it unparallel to the bottoms,now does doing that make a big handling diference and if so how so like were would you notice a diference and how? thanks for posting the link by the way,it very informative and i would encourage everyone to read it that hasnt yet and is curious about this discussion

S.A.J
01-22-2009, 11:22 PM
an update,i got some information from around town today espevialy from brian at performance atv.4130 chromoly is not available everywhere but he gave me a website that sells it,its around $8 a foot i believe and it should be tig welded,mig welding it you cant hardly make it look good and its all around much betr if you tig it.i am going to make them fully adjustable,the tie-rod ends will be adjustable by screwing them in or out as will the heim joints which im going to use to bolt the a-arms to the frame so the top and bottom a-arms will also have adjustability forwards and backwards...the cost of them will probably be right around 200-250 mayb 300.my plan is to buy all the parts and tubing i need to build them as soon as my 400ex sells and then im also gona have to hook up or get a tig welding setup and learn to tig weld.they should be 2 or 3 inches wider than stock and then i'll be able to adjust them to were they should be plus 3.5 to 4.5 MAYBY 5 plus,and they should be 1inch forward from stock as im told that is what the industry standard is.also i may make 2 or 3 shock mounting locations on the lower arms so i can lower it or raise it however i want.so these a-arms should have ultimate adjustability and should be quite strong i think it will turn out great!!! any ideas sujestions questions or wat-not just post away!