PDA

View Full Version : "lite weight clutch bell"

hotquads1
01-16-2009, 09:09 AM
new product being developed, all aluminum clutch bell saves weight and disipates heat faster than steel , what do you think ?

01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Bring it on Mark the ligter the better right? Thats on most thing right. Great idea Mark.

marsrace2
01-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Looks Great, My only question is what about durability and how well does it grip?

hotquads1
01-16-2009, 10:59 AM
currently testing, will know more soon.

marsrace2
01-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks, I will be in touch soon to get some more stuff.

ww228king
01-16-2009, 08:36 PM
yeah... how does it grip? I think the aluminum will cake up on the clutch shoe and cause it to slip... but that is my experiance with trying to grind aluminum with a grinder.... might just be the type....
let us know

dericsdad
01-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Curious on the results... Even if it did "cake up" on the shoes, you could easily clean them with a wire wheel, and lightly sand them just like you always have to anyways.

Boy, it's gonna get awful hot though! for aluminum.

Maybe the DR. Pully shoe clutch would be best, if it doesn't slip as much.

Post results soon!

XXX -rider
01-17-2009, 01:57 PM
this part will need testing for sure..I like the idea in theory..
"caking " clutch shoes could be an issue ,but I am curious about the center splines..seems they would be vulnerable to being ripped up,..???????
perhaps a steel center "insert" of some type for strength/durability is in order

ZTR_MAN
01-17-2009, 02:28 PM
What grade of Aluminum is being used?

Thanks,

BradLoomis
01-17-2009, 07:49 PM
I would be worried about warpage under the temps that the clutch bell goes through. also worried about the clutch shoe pressure pressing it apart. Those Dr. P's with the mechanical lockup has bent a couple lightend bells of mine.

LT80
01-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Alum expands 5x more than steel.
Maybe the alum bell will swell to the point of the shoes not having enough contact pressure?

hotquads1
01-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by ZTR_MAN
What grade of Aluminum is being used?

Thanks,
I will inquire and find out. This is not a product I am developing (although the idea interests me), we are just doing some R&D and testing , so all of your comments and concerns are welcome , we will pass it on and get valid answers . Thanks for the input .
marc

hotquads1
01-19-2009, 03:18 PM
upon further inspection I realized this bell has a steel reinforcing ring inside the bell so this will be the surface that contacts the clutch shoe pad, vo wear should not be no different than other bells, and this should add some strength to keep aluminum from warping. Looking better every time I look at it , hope to test this weekend.
marc

ukguy
01-19-2009, 07:00 PM
if the aluminium expands quicker than the steel, may this allow the steel inner part to start to move around inside the bell as the shoes exert rotational pressure just a thought, as any one who uses the koso bell with the aluminium cooling fin on a steel bell are an interferance fit but they move as they expand quicker