PDA

View Full Version : Trail Tech Vapor

One_Bad_400
01-14-2009, 10:02 PM
i was wondering if any of you guys have the trail tech vapor speedo thing. i have a street legal XR650L. and i was wanting to get rid of the crappy speedo from stock and put one of these nice digital ones in. how does it tell the speed, RPM's, and all the other junk it clames it can do?

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/lytleracinggroup/vapor_tachometer_w250.jpg

tri5ron
01-14-2009, 10:44 PM
speed is read from a magnetic pick-up/sensor mounted on the front wheel, you must calibrate the Vapor to your wheel size.

rpm is read from the coil, (I think)

brian76708
01-15-2009, 02:29 PM
get the endurance its cheaper but it has less bells a whistles and for the little extra options u get with the vapor its not worth it. on my 400ex you just rap a wire around the spark plug wire it seems to be correct but no guarantee

01-15-2009, 03:36 PM
I love my vapor.

The speedometer is the hardest part of the installation. It tells you everything in the instructions. Basically you're drilling a hole in the caliper to mount the pickup. Then you replace one of the rotor bolts with a magnetic bolt that's supplied.

The instructions will tell you how to set your wheel size.

The tachometer is super easy. It's just a wire. You have to wrap it around the coil wire like 4 or 5 times and then tape it/ zip tie it there. Some bikes work better wiring it directly into the coil but I didn't use that method because the wrap works better on the 400ex's.

The power wire just hooks up directly to the battery. I sent mine along the frame underneath the side plastics/panels.

The temp sensor replaces the spark plugs crush washer, but some quads like the 400ex, it won't work because the wire goes deep into the head. Better for liquid cooled bikes.

As far as usage and durability. The tachometer is a little jumpy when hitting the throttle at a stop. But under acceleration it's dead on and smooth with the engine. The speedometer seems to be pretty accurate as well. You can program a shift light and a red-line light that flash when you reach that rpm. It also has time, miles, hours, and tons of little features. It saves your fastest speeds and highest rpm's.
I've sprayed water directly on the thing and it was perfectly fine. Ive also had mud all over the thing.

It's definitely worth the money. I got mine for $108 with free 3 day express shipping from motosport.

Here's a vid I made. For some reason the camera makes it look like it has even more lag I don't know why. But its better in person.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XfVQCPyj854&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XfVQCPyj854&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Chin_Chilla
01-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
I love my vapor.

The speedometer is the hardest part of the installation. It tells you everything in the instructions. Basically you're drilling a hole in the caliper to mount the pickup. Then you replace one of the rotor bolts with a magnetic bolt that's supplied.

The instructions will tell you how to set your wheel size.

The tachometer is super easy. It's just a wire. You have to wrap it around the coil wire like 4 or 5 times and then tape it/ zip tie it there. Some bikes work better wiring it directly into the coil but I didn't use that method because the wrap works better on the 400ex's.

The power wire just hooks up directly to the battery. I sent mine along the frame underneath the side plastics/panels.

The temp sensor replaces the spark plugs crush washer, but some quads like the 400ex, it won't work because the wire goes deep into the head. Better for liquid cooled bikes.

As far as usage and durability. The tachometer is a little jumpy when hitting the throttle at a stop. But under acceleration it's dead on and smooth with the engine. The speedometer seems to be pretty accurate as well. You can program a shift light and a red-line light that flash when you reach that rpm. It also has time, miles, hours, and tons of little features. It saves your fastest speeds and highest rpm's.
I've sprayed water directly on the thing and it was perfectly fine. Ive also had mud all over the thing.

It's definitely worth the money. I got mine for $108 with free 3 day express shipping from motosport.

Here's a vid I made. For some reason the camera makes it look like it has even more lag I don't know why. But its better in person.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XfVQCPyj854&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XfVQCPyj854&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ever thought about turning up your idle screw? Thing died when you gave it gas?? Sounds like it's about to die just sitting there idling... :huh

Cool vid nonetheless.

01-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Chin_Chilla
Ever thought about turning up your idle screw? Thing died when you gave it gas?? Sounds like it's about to die just sitting there idling... :huh

Cool vid nonetheless.

haha. It was pretty cold out. When she's all warmed up the idle is around 1350-1400 where it should be.

I turned it up again recently anyway because it still sounded like it should go higher.

That was before I jetted it too. It ran a lot better on the bottom after I jetted it.

fastredrider44
01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
I have the vapor on my street legal KTM525. You won't hear any complaints from me with it. Every now and then when I accelerate hard, the speedo part has a glitch or two. But it straightens out pretty quick. I don't know how to work all the gadgets, but it sure is cool. It's kinda bright for night time riding, but not too bad. I love mine.

Sjorge450R
01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
now i want one!!!!i want fancy one with the coolant temp on it

One_Bad_400
01-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
get the endurance its cheaper but it has less bells a whistles and for the little extra options u get with the vapor its not worth it. on my 400ex you just rap a wire around the spark plug wire it seems to be correct but no guarantee

show me the endurance one? never seen it

One_Bad_400
01-15-2009, 04:17 PM
I love my vapor.

The speedometer is the hardest part of the installation. It tells you everything in the instructions. Basically you're drilling a hole in the caliper to mount the pickup.

drill a hole in the caliper!!!!!??!?? how big/deep of a hole?!?!

fastredrider44
01-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Instuctions will tell you. I was surprised to find that my rotor already had a hole specifically for the magnet, and the caliper had a threaded part for the cable. The temp. is very important to me. My bike heats up quick on a summer day sittin in traffic. (no fans)

01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
show me the endurance one? never seen it

Honestly, stay away from the endurance. We had one on my dads old warrior before he sold it. I doesn't have as many features and doesn't have a tachometer either. basically just a speedo/distance.

It's not that deep of a hole, they supply the drill and self tapping screw. It's a super small hole don't worry about it weakening.

One_Bad_400
01-15-2009, 08:55 PM
well. it might be a few months b4 i put a Vapor on my XR. i found out that all i need is a $4 cable that broke! lol. so i'm just going to spend that 4 bucks right now so i can save up for the vapor and a slip-on exhaust

brian76708
01-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Honestly, stay away from the endurance. We had one on my dads old warrior before he sold it. I doesn't have as many features and doesn't have a tachometer either. basically just a speedo/distance.

It's not that deep of a hole, they supply the drill and self tapping screw. It's a super small hole don't worry about it weakening.

i think the tach is stupid kinda cool at first but the novelty wares off quickly. since its on the road all u really need to see is your speed so that why i suggested the endurance. also the ambient temp always reads higher look at the second post from the bottom this is what trail tech sent me after i complained about it http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=363319&highlight=brian76708

here is the endurance

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=122&navTitle=Control&webCatId=12&prodFamilyId=6770

01-16-2009, 05:58 AM
Why does EVERYONE always use rocky mountain? Motosport is usually always cheaper and if you find the same product cheaper somewhere else, they'll meet and beat the price.

rundrave
01-16-2009, 07:23 AM
i have one on my scrambler and love it

also have the tach on there help me tune my CVT clutches

im am using a modified primary and secondary clutches and with out a tach I would have never been able to dial my clutches in

the vapor is very durable, its seen lots of mud and even the car wash and just keeps going strong

the graph bar on the tach is a little laggy but the digital read out of the numbers is spot on

brian76708
01-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Why does EVERYONE always use rocky mountain? Motosport is usually always cheaper and if you find the same product cheaper somewhere else, they'll meet and beat the price.

chilll out i was just showing him it god dam.

01-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
chilll out i was just showing him it god dam.

lol sorry. I was having a bad night.

sc400ex_rider
01-18-2009, 07:05 AM
there is a video on youtube about a bike tuner in brazil who put one (vapor) on a rz350 and it was sick. that thing reved quick as hell and i didnt see any lag in it. it might still be on there check it out!!