PDA

View Full Version : Fmf Powercore S/o?

DP400
01-14-2009, 06:58 PM
I have a 2002 400ex stock w/k@n. I'm looking to add a fmf powercore 4 s/o, and grind down the welds in the head pipe, also leaving lid on. Just wondering if anyone has this s/o or heard anything about them? Also any jetting info would be great. thanks

01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
The powercores are pretty good pipes for the price. For the fact you can find used ones under $100.

They sound really nice and have a nice smooth tone. The preformance isn't quite as much as some other brands, and the quality isn't 100%, but they're still good overall and have a wide powerband.

If you're tight on money, then the FMF is a nice option.

If you have a little more to splurge, then you can get the Lexx MXe off ebay for $177 shipped brand new. They are really nice and have tons of different sound level inserts.

DP400
01-15-2009, 05:26 AM
thanks for your quick reply. I do have a friend that can get parts cheap. In the fall he got a price for me on the fmf for $215, new, I think that for $40 more, I can get an exhaust that has a reputation, then the Lexx mxe, that I never heard of and haven't heard to many things about yet. Just wanted to see if anyone had the fmf and if they are happy with it or not. Also if anyone has any jetting recomondations, i'm in new york, running air lid on with K@N filter, going to grind down header welds when I purchase my exhaust. thanks again.

rcatvrider
01-15-2009, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't put the fmf above the lexx, their design is actually quite similar. For that price I would actually go with a hmf. The powercore doesn't provide a whole lot of gains from what I've ridden, and that was a full system.

DP400
01-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Its a tough decision though I would like to spend $177 on the Lexx, but don't know enough about them. They also look much cheaper then the FMF. Also alot of people complain that the HMF is to loud. But for the cost of the FMF I think I would be foolish not to get it.

01-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by DP400
Its a tough decision though I would like to spend $177 on the Lexx, but don't know enough about them. They also look much cheaper then the FMF. Also alot of people complain that the HMF is to loud. But for the cost of the FMF I think I would be foolish not to get it.

The Lexx is a great exhaust. There's a couple guys on here that bought it and are extremely happy with it. Plus it's super adjustable.

The FMF's are known to get a little beat up over the years. I've seen so many beat up powercores that look like they've been on the bike for years. The Lexx is of better quality.

Like I said, the FMF is a good pipe used, but your getting ripped off for $215 when used they only go for like $75. That's when I recommend them. For $215 there's a lot more options like the Lexx.

rob_990
01-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by DP400

i heard that the hmf has the best power gains for the money. i have one on my bike and it sounds great.i dont think its that loud and i also dont think that you can ever have a pipe thats too loud.

DP400
01-16-2009, 04:28 AM
Thanks again for the replies. I did a little bit of research last night and found mixed reviews about the FMF, some say it gives a great tone and they like it. and some say they lose power with it. everyone on here runs the HMF and haven't heard anything bad about it. someone said if you buy the slip-on and later on down the road if you want a full exhaust you just simply send in your slip-on with a check and they will turn it into a full exhaust; is that true? on thier website I couldn't find any info on that, also looked at thier jetting recomondations and they seemed really high compaired to what everyone else has. I have an '02 and they say to jet with 165/170 main. anymore advice would be great, thank you in advance.

dalejiw25
01-16-2009, 05:56 AM
Save up and run a Duncan Racing Fat boy 4 Complete. The sound,Performance gain and looks are just Brutal. Anything less is a waste !!!! Trust me Dude.
DR Rules.

rob_990
01-16-2009, 07:28 AM
yea i dont know if thats true but the header pipe doesnt make much of a difference anyway unless you have a really built motor.just buy the slip on and grind down your header welds.

DP400
01-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Just contacted HMF and its true, you just have to send in the slip-on and $250 and they convert it to a full exhaust (one pipe) and send it back. Thats not a bad idea, its not a curtis sparks, but eventually after I do a build and everything, don't think I would mind paying 250, its better then $550, after shelling out for parts. Anyone know where the cheapest place to get HMF I know on e-bay, but the cheapest I've seen is $217 and a super long lead time to get the exhaust. also any comments on those jetting specs from HMF. If I'm running a lid on I'm not possitive thats the jets I want to use. Also anyone use the quite core and does it really tone it down? I like to be loud but there are some places I ride that I would like to keep riding there and not be kicked out cause of noise. Thanks again.