PDA

View Full Version : Im in tears here fellers

Pappy
01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I went hunting this morning at a farm in Maryland (2 hours from home) for what was supposed to be a quick trip. A flight of geese came in and I shot'em up but when I turned to send my dog, he was gone. I searched from 8:30 am till 6pm and can't locate him:(

I called the humane society and they will be looking for him and also looking for anyone calling in a loose dog. I was able to hand a few business cards out today while riding around looking for him, and will be back there in the morning at daylight to search more and put up "Lost Dog" flyers.

This pup was my buddy...I don't know what I will do of anything happens to him or I never find him:( :(

ridered92
01-14-2009, 05:55 PM
hey pap i hope you find him i went threw the same thing with one of my dogs it just makes you sick.

powermadd400ex
01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
:( wow pappy, i hope you find him. was it trooper? from the pictures he seemed to be a loyal dog

Pappy
01-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Yep:(

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/3163471171_d9bc0c6934_o.jpg

tri5ron
01-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Pappy,
I do know how it feels. last year while camping in the desert, my 2 Britanny Spainels had been hanging around all day. I stepped into the camper for dinner, and was back out to light the campfire in 15 minutes.
Well the dogs must have spotted a jackrabbit or something, because they were gone without a trace. I spent the entire night looking for them by spotlight, whistling, calling their names to no avail.

The next morning I went around the entire lakebed talking to people. I had probably 100 people out looking for them, and even had 2 guys in ultra-light airplanes flying around looking for them.
I told everyone that if they found my dogs, there was a $100 bucks waiting for them.

By late afternoon we were going to have to pack up camp and leave for home 2 hrs away. I was getting pretty worried, and my kids were a mess over the whole thing. telling a 7yo boy and a 6yo girl that their dogs were lost, and we were going to have to leave was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Well someone must have ben looking out for us, because about an hour before our deadline hour to leave, a lady and 2 girls pulled up in a pickup, and had my dogs with them.

everyone was happy, and the weight that was lifted off of my shoulders was undescribable.

I hope you get your buddy back.
Ron

Quad18star
01-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear Ken. Does he have his info on his tag or is he registered or tattooed/microchipped?

Our lab has a tendency to run off also because he's not fixed . I can leave him alone for 5 minutes and he'll be a block away. Were you in a wooded area or near open fields? I'm sure he's marked his way and he'll find his way back to where you were.

We'll be keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Pappy
01-14-2009, 06:31 PM
No ID except for the rabies number. I havent hunted him alot so I wasnt prepared like I should have been. They are calling for the coldest weather of the year to move in overnight so im just a mess really. If I could have the lost dog flyers made up and in my hand I wouldnt have left from looking for him.

I lost my Yellow lab 2 years ago to a ****ing idiot who cant do a sane speed in my driveway and Trooper was his replacement. This is pretty hard for me to take as Trooper and I were just, well, friends. If he never made a good hunting dog, he would have still been one of the best dogs i've ever owned:( If he gets killed or hurt or I never find him I dont know what i'll do. The kids are disdrougt, the wife is besdie herself, the other dogs are acting weird when I came in without troop. I just pray everything works out right, I really dont need this type of thing right now:(

Quad18star
01-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
No ID except for the rabies number. I havent hunted him alot so I wasnt prepared like I should have been. They are calling for the coldest weather of the year to move in overnight so im just a mess really. If I could have the lost dog flyers made up and in my hand I wouldnt have left from looking for him.

I lost my Yellow lab 2 years ago to a ****ing idiot who cant do a sane speed in my driveway and Trooper was his replacement. This is pretty hard for me to take as Trooper and I were just, well, friends. If he never made a good hunting dog, he would have still been one of the best dogs i've ever owned:( If he gets killed or hurt or I never find him I dont know what i'll do. The kids are disdrougt, the wife is besdie herself, the other dogs are acting weird when I came in without troop. I just pray everything works out right, I really dont need this type of thing right now:(

I hear ya Ken .

Head back out tomorrow and you'll find him right where he took off .. I'm telling ya .. he'll go back. Bring squeaky toys , a whistle anything to attract him back to you. If there's any back roads , drive them .... the dog will take a road rather than tramp through the woods... but like I said ... I'll be he'll be within the area you were hunting by the morning.

Pappy
01-14-2009, 06:49 PM
I put 87 miles on between 2 neighborhoods and back roads surrounding the farm today.

Wife and Ryan will go with me, and even my old lab Moose.

Its going to be a long night:(

icepreddy
01-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Good Luck with you dog Pappy. I'm a fellow lab owner, he's my best friend. Drake's smarter then most my friends. He's hopefully gonna have pups out of a friends dog soon. Your far away but maybe you'd want one. Free of course. Good Luck bud !

Ralph
01-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Good Luck pappy.

We have had a two of our dogs get out and run away before and it didn't exactly work out too good.

I would check with local farms at this point because as a domesticated animal i would think after a few hours of running around he will search out people. Maybe ask the local farms to let you put out some food at their farms and ask them to see if he turns up.

Deff bring your other dogs when looking for him.

icepreddy
01-14-2009, 07:10 PM
one more thing take some of the families old clothes and put them all around the place where he ran off. He knows his family's scent. Drag some old work clothes around behing the wheeler while you look for him also. I used to have beagles. they run like crazy. I'm used to chasing/tracking dogs.

gcart2
01-14-2009, 07:13 PM
you will find him bud. just keep lookin'. a prayer wouldn't hurt ;)

Pappy
01-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I just placed an ad in the LOST section of the local paper down there

On one of the hunting forums I visit, there are some locals that know right where I hunt and they will be looking and spreading the word

I left the blanket he sleeps on in my truck at the blind location along with my stocking hat

Flyers are printing, staple guns loaded.

JJs450r
01-14-2009, 07:24 PM
sorry to hear about your dog i lost mine for about an hour its the worst feeling good luck finding him

Ralph
01-14-2009, 07:26 PM
may aswell hit up craigslist too

Pappy
01-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I lost my beagle for 5 days. My brother decided to run after some deer in the yard while "Gus" was on a leash. Kevin fell and the dog was gone. I too was used to tracking down beagles so I wasnt to alarmed, this happened on a sunday evening.

Friday afternoon, after god knows how much driving, calling, flyers etc, the phone rings. Long story short, the leash had caught on a sapling and hung him tight. Two younger kids had heard howling but their parents had warned them not to go into the woods. Well, when they got off the bus the next day they headed off and found him and reported it to thier parents. Dog had lost weight but was back in action in a week.

Trooper isnt a beagle or hound, and he is so friendly...and street DUMB that its scaring me to death.

Pappy
01-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
may aswell hit up craigslist too

Thanks!!! Doing it now

Snowskidr
01-14-2009, 07:43 PM
very sorry to hear pappy. good luck. i hope you find him! what part of MD?

Pappy
01-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Carroll County, Finksburg area

ZeroLogic
01-14-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that Pappy. Hopefully you'll find him. Best of luck to you guys.:ermm:

03pete
01-14-2009, 07:57 PM
I really hope you fine him Pappy, I know how you feel. My dog is always at my side, and we are best buds. Whatever you do, just don't give up, and don't assume that he isn't somewhere, that's when you overlook.

theTman
01-14-2009, 08:03 PM
I wish you and your family the best of lucky Pappy,I myself have had a dog run away for 2 days, but after those long 2 days she showed up at the doorstep ad tired and panting as can be.

Just keep being faithful and strong, never give up, just keep looking.

Pappy
01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
I wouldnt be as upset, but he is over 2 hours away

Mxjunkie
01-14-2009, 08:09 PM
I wouldnt be as upset, but he is over 2 hours away

That's very understandable pap! I'm sure he will turn up! like I said he has to eat sometime so I'm sure he'll wonder up on someones door step :)

ridered11
01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
put one of your belongings where you last saw him (used blanket), often dogs will come back looking for the scent of their owners.

since you cant be there looking for him, that would be my best advice, hope you find him.

csr250r
01-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Hope you find him pappy. I had a lab stolen from my house last year, terrible feeling.

Pappy
01-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by csr250r
Hope you find him pappy. I had a lab stolen from my house last year, terrible feeling.

Yeah I have that fear as well.

Right before the geese came, there was 2 railroad trucks on the tracks behind and below us. After the shooting and the dog misisng, the trucks were gone as well and I knew the one worker had seen me.

I called the train company and was able to track down the supervisor on that crew and he called me after asking his guys if they saw the dog. they saw me but reported no dog. They could have lied to me..or to him I geuss, but stealing a dog infront fo man with a shotgun would get real ugly real fast as I would have left the thief a bloody mess in the front seat.

I have my prayers said over and over, fingers are crossed etc. i hope he is in a warm house and they call the human society in the morning so i can go get him. I dont have many friends, and my dogs make up for that. Those with that type of dog know exactly what I am sayin.

Quad18star
Ken ... I posted up the info about Trooper being lost and a picture of him on a sledding website that I frequent regularly .. I figured you wouldn't mind.

The website is www.hardcoresledder.com . The ad is under US Snowmobile Forum .. subforum Maryland. Not sure if you want to subscribe to it to post your phone number or email address . I posted my email so they can contact me and I can relay messages , but I'll be gone as of Sunday. If you want send me your number and I can post it for you.

Pappy
304-754-7609 or my in laws 410-549-6670

bwamos
01-14-2009, 08:33 PM
My heart goes out to you.
It's such a gut wrenching feeling.

As a positive note.. growing up as a kid I had a beagle that was a dog that ran off when hunting. She was very very gun shy. My father found her in the impact zone at Ft. Chaffee. She had a hunting collar when he found her, and we assume she ran off when taken hunting for the first time. Nobody ever claimed her, though. We had her for 17 years and she was one of the best dogs our family ever had.

I'd give her great odds.. even with the very bad weather, dogs are just instinctivly good at surviving.

Quad18star
01-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Done.

hypersnyper6947
01-14-2009, 08:34 PM
If i lived near i would help you look, i cant even imagine what your going through. Best of luck to you and your dog trooper

rbgnwa45
01-14-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm half-psychic. I believe your dog either was scared of the gun or went to get a drink. Were you near a river that had a big metal tunnel or a rocky cliff with a road going over the tunnel, and before you saw that you were on a trail going through the woods? I don't want to say but I also see leg troubles, both front. Chances are your dog saw a pond or something and went back to get a drink and couldn't find his way back, and tried to jump down something maybe? Trust that a good looking dog like that won't scare people away from helping him get home. I have a pure bred beagle and a samoyed husky. One leads and one follows. I really hope you find your dog. I don't think someone stole him.

suck my pipe
01-14-2009, 10:34 PM
I feel for you, my buddy of 14 years just vanished and has been missing for three weeks. I don't think he is coming home. I called around and searched with no results. people tell me a lot of old dogs will go off into the woods when they are ready to die. I just hope nothing bad happened to him. R.I.P Buddy

Nick110
01-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Hey Ken sorry to hear about all of this.. I will keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer tonight.

03pete
01-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Any updates Pappy?

Pappy
01-15-2009, 09:10 AM
We just got back and we DID find him!

He was scared really bad, it took 10 minutes just to get him to come to us, but once he figured out who we were he was all over us.

Thanks a ton for all the encouragement and advice!

powermadd400ex
01-15-2009, 09:13 AM

He was scared really bad, it took 10 minutes just to get him to come to us, but once he figured out who we were he was all over us.

good to hear it pappy! :)

250r rider 88
01-15-2009, 09:17 AM
good to hear pappy, i would recommend investing in one of those animal tracker gps things they have, can't think of the name of the company but it would def. be worth it if this were to ever happen again with trooper or any of your other dogs

scuzz
01-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Getting your dog back is one of the best feelings in the world.

ZeroLogic
01-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Good to hear Pappy.:macho

hypersnyper6947
01-15-2009, 09:24 AM
That is awesome congrats!

bwamos
01-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Awsome News!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3093698

$9.99/mo for the service. Well worth the money. I didn't want to mention it until after you found him, but I know when I get another dog I'll certianly get one. (may get one for the quad and camera bag too.. lol)

There's also currently a $50 rebate availiable until the end of the month. http://www.zoombak.com/media/img/rebate/ZOOM0007_Rebate_Form_fnl.pdf

Quad18star
01-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Man I'm so happy for you right now Ken .... I know how much a dog means to a family and to a person.

Where did you find him? Was he back at the original spot?

Your next investement ... head down to WalMart .. buy one of them lanyards with the "corkscrew" thing you put in the ground ... and when you head out hunting , tie him until he has to go retrieve. ;)

Anyways ... just glad to hear you got him back.

sly400ex
01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Awesome news Pappy. I've been in a dark place in my life for a few weeks now, let me tell you this story has made it a little brighter. Again, I'm very happy for you!

<DRS>GPF
01-15-2009, 11:41 AM

HA! well done!!

ill bet he glowed seeing you again.. theyre truly lost children at heart.

03pete
01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Awesome news Pappy!

gcart2
01-15-2009, 12:58 PM
just made my day:)

dehner47
01-15-2009, 01:30 PM
i've been stressed for ya pappy all day.i am so glad to hear you found him.makes me feel good for trooper and your family.dont know what i'd do if i ever lost one of my dogs.

JJs450r
01-15-2009, 01:47 PM
awsome pappy great feeling to find something lost especially a member of the family haha glad yall found him

MOFO
01-15-2009, 02:24 PM
This is great news! I'm glad to hear you found him!!! :) :) :)

CHADHIX
01-15-2009, 02:55 PM
That is great news for sure! I felt bad for you bud!

Mxjunkie
01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Man I'm so happy for you right now Ken .... I know how much a dog means to a family and to a person.

Where did you find him? Was he back at the original spot?

Your next investement ... head down to WalMart .. buy one of them lanyards with the "corkscrew" thing you put in the ground ... and when you head out hunting , tie him until he has to go retrieve. ;)

Anyways ... just glad to hear you got him back.

I do this but I use a 20ft leash and I tie it to my side, when I want my dobie to go I just unhook her, then I know where she is when she's unsupervised, It's easy to get in la la land and forget about the dog just for a few seconds, sadly that's all it takes for them to spilt!

Good to hear you got the dog back, how did you go about finding him? :)

tri5ron
01-15-2009, 05:57 PM
GREAT News Pappy,
I feel like I'm seeing that pick-up truck with the girls coming into my camp with my dogs all over again..

So let me guess...
Trooper is having Steak for dinner tonight???:D

Pappy
01-15-2009, 06:07 PM
No steak, but he had a slim-jim on the way home:p

Sjorge450R
01-16-2009, 10:07 AM
glad to hear that you found him Ken. I dont know what i would do if my dog ran off. She is always by myself and I am the only one in the house that she listens too. These American Bulldogs really are bull headed.

Just curious. Did you guys go back up look or did someone find him and call you?

Pappy
01-16-2009, 10:34 AM
We were back down there at 6 am yesterday

Benjithx
01-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Great News Ken!

Lets see some news pics of that boy.

Pappy
01-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I will try and get a few pics...im just swamped with work from where I lost 2 days this week.:(

SRH
01-16-2009, 04:50 PM
glad to hear you got him back, i was watching unsolved mysteries and this family lost there dog on vacation and went home 200 miles away and the dog ran the 200 miles and showed up on there door step weeks later

i know the feeling dogs get to be like a family member, im def glad it endd happily for you guys

400EXtreme
01-17-2009, 10:17 PM
yay im glad you found him

Snowskidr
01-21-2009, 08:48 PM
i was hoping i would come back to this thread and see that you found him! very glad to hear!

Pappy
01-22-2009, 02:32 AM
Thanks fellers, he is back for sure:p

Its 4:30 am and I am about ready to head out goose hunting but he aint going. I wont hunt him again until after I see what he does at the sound of a shot again just in case. Id let a few go but if he has developed an issue I dont want to make it worse so I will start back at square one to be safe.

Britboy
01-22-2009, 04:23 AM
glad you found him pappy! :)

stoopidbot
01-22-2009, 04:53 AM
Congrats on finding your buddy. I'm a huge dog lover and it broke my heart when I read the story. When you posted his pic... it was over.

Congrats again.

mudboggin
01-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Glad you found him.

Velocity Girl
01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Just saw this thread.....so happy you found your pup Pappy. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to a member of our pack.