PDA

View Full Version : motor bogging down

ff1125a
01-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Need help have a 50 and it runs a about a 100 feet and bogs down then it will take off and bog again. it will do this all day. I tried putting a hose from the fuel tank straight to the carb and it still happens. what next? I dont have the stock kill switch hooked up. but out of all the wires i would not know which ones they would be any way

ww228king
01-14-2009, 04:37 PM
clean carb and set bowl would the first...

hotquads1
01-14-2009, 05:06 PM
CHECK THE VENT TUBE AND CAP , confirm that it breathes freely. then run your air screw in 1/2 turn and try it , it is lean somewhere, could be jetting but the airscrew will let you know if your jetting needs to be richened. is this a 16mm carb or 21mm ?
marc

bulldogfallon
01-14-2009, 06:33 PM
How does it react if you run it with the choke on?

ff1125a
01-15-2009, 05:54 AM
after it warms up and choke is on it wont run when you give it gas. It started all of this bogging crap all at one time. it was running great and then just started acting up.

drr5
01-15-2009, 07:07 AM
if this has the 16 mm carb or the 21 , take the carb off carefully pull the bowl with out spilling the fuel out of it so you can look into the fuel in the bottom of the bowl look to see if there is any sand or water, pretty common for the 16mm carbs to act up when this is present , if so clean the bowl and carb , take the jets out and make sure there is nt any debris blocking the passages.

ff1125a
01-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Here is where Im at now. Checked carb looked clean but cleaned it anyway-checked gas cap flows air fine-rewired complete quad with after market kill switch . Maybe this will fix problem but it is to cold for littleone to test ride high of 18 today.wish us luck
Chris

snowbalz
01-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Will it run full throttle on a stand with no load on it?

ff1125a
01-20-2009, 02:50 PM
This is what all I have done.
Changed carb(stock 16 mikuni with dont know if it said 00 or 100 jet)
Run both fuel lines to one and put new filter
Changed reeds (stock)
after all of this no change still bogging down when you hold it wide open for a second. Then I took snorkle tube off and it will run wide open. yea I fell like I am making progress. so I put breather straight to carb and still runs wide open. Now here is my new problem runs good as long as rpms are high put wont idle very well and when you get ready to take off it boggs.
and it idles high then drops to a normal idle and you have to pat gas a little until it picks up rpms then it will take off. What do I need to do now?

ff1125a
01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
forgot to tell that when it idles down and you cant get it to gain rpms if you pull chike out it will bring the rpms up and it runs fine until it idles back down thanks for the help!!

hotquads1
01-20-2009, 03:03 PM
(sounds lean )make sure the needle clip is in the lowest position, and run about 25 pilot , air screw 3/4 turn out and 105 main ( for the winter temps).pull out 3 rollers and make a short run and see how it sounds , this will let you know if it is carb or clutching.
marc

Hanksdad
01-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Be sure to check your throttle cable. I no it sounds ridiculous, but I was having a similar problem with a yz250. I adjusted the carb forever!!!!!! It would surge once and a while run fine sometimes and other times would bog. Turns out the throttle cable was being pinched and was in a bind. Replaced the cable voila. This may not be your problem, but check the little things, it could be something else. Maybe even an ignition problem? Hope you get it figured out and it's nothing too major. I'm always troubleshooting and sometimes you do get lucky and it turns out to be easier fix then you expect.

rmuscle
01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by ff1125a
This is what all I have done.
Changed carb(stock 16 mikuni with dont know if it said 00 or 100 jet)
Run both fuel lines to one and put new filter
Changed reeds (stock)
after all of this no change still bogging down when you hold it wide open for a second. Then I took snorkle tube off and it will run wide open. yea I fell like I am making progress. so I put breather straight to carb and still runs wide open. Now here is my new problem runs good as long as rpms are high put wont idle very well and when you get ready to take off it boggs.
and it idles high then drops to a normal idle and you have to pat gas a little until it picks up rpms then it will take off. What do I need to do now?
im having the same problems with my o7 a/c its driving me out of my mind. have a sunworld 21 i even went as big as 45 pilot. and tried two other carbs nothing works. still need to chang reeds havent done that yet. someone mentioned crank seal. dont know but im about to drop a match in the gas tank lol

ff1125a
01-21-2009, 05:09 AM
OK now I have adjusted air screw and runs great I think I still need to change jeting sounds like it could use more fuel and the sparkplug is kind of a gray color. If I where to go to a UNI filter would I have to change jetting? If so what size?