PDA

View Full Version : Registering used ATV's in NJ is a pain!

Mustangous
01-14-2009, 09:28 AM
I currently have an 04' honda 400ex and been thinking about upgrading to an 06' or 07' due to having reverse. I love the 400ex and its a perfect trail atv for me, but i just want reverse. I figured i would try to find a good deal on one and buy it and then sell mine. Trying to find a barely used 400ex is a little tough and when you do find it they want more for it then the local dealer wants for an 07 left over. With the economy the way it is, it really but a hurting on atv values.

Anyway, i have found a black 06 with supposedly less than 10 hrs on it. I got them down to $3000, but I called the local dmv and in order to register it i would need a certificate of origin with a notarized bill of sale of whoevers name is on the MSO/CCO, OR the previous owners registration card and a notarized bill of sale. Well the place that has the atv is a very small motorcycle shop and they just bought it to flip it, so they can only provide me with a notarized Bill of sale.

This makes trying to buy a used ATV very difficult if you plan on registering it. With the way NJ is, i definitely want to have it registered and insured. Anyone else have similar issues? I guess i understand why they do it and other people who buy/sell their atv should save the MSO/CCO or registation and treat it like a title for a atomobiler. Very disappointing!

Ferris
01-14-2009, 11:18 AM
From what I read the problem isn't with NJ, it's with the bike shop. Plain and simple they don't have the any of the proper paperwork for it. They obviously don't have either the title or MSO. That or since they are a bike shop inorder to legally buy and sell a quad they would need to be a liscensed dealer (at least in WV you do). The DMV gets pretty picky about that stuff and if they are not liscensed and flipping quads they could be facing a pretty good fine should they get caught.

Lots of guads don't have titles for a variety of reasons. If you need one with a title then you'll have to make sure and buy one that has the proper paperwork. NJ actually sounds pretty easy to register a quad.

warriorxcr1
01-14-2009, 11:44 AM
being alive with an atv in new jersey is a pain period...

but yes i would have to agree that it does suck

ZeroLogic
01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Anything in NJ is a pita.

deathman53
01-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Yes, most everything in NJ is hard. In NJ titles aren't required for atv's, all you need is a notarized bill of sale and insurance. Thats what dmv tells me. I'm going to be having a battle with them trying the register and insure my Lonestar framed atv. I'm gonna send the required stuff for my custom framed atc250r trying to get a title for it. I'm gonna try to get custom framed titles for my lonestar and atc250r(custom cloned) frame. It only took me almost 3 hours on the phone with them to get the info to apply for a custom framed vehicle.

Mustangous
01-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Hey deathman, You right next to me, I'm in spotswood.

The dmv told me i had to have either a certificate of origin OR the registration from the previous owner. Both accompanied by a notorized bill of sale. Have you had different experience?

deathman53
01-14-2009, 09:08 PM
When I had a quad registered, I had a notarized bill of sale, insurance, and Mso. The person took a slight glance at the mso and gave it back to me, she did study the bill of sale. She told me mso's aren't needed. With my battles with dmv about my lsr frame, I asked for obtaining a title, the lady told me atv's aren't titled in NJ and all you need to register them is insurance and notarized bill of sale. The time when the mso's were closely looked at was when registering my dirtbikes(as street vehciles). I had it shot down on me because the mso didn't meet what they wanted, even though it said the manufacturer, place that sold it, engine number, vin number, person sold to. It didn't have KTM in big letters on it.

Dmv can be a pain with lien releases also. That happened with registering my my first dirtbike. Dmv accepting the mso and gave me the plate. I looked and it had a lein holder on it. I went back in, and everything was reversed. About a week later came in with another lien release, they said it wasn't good because it had a different address. I got the manager and I told her everything I did to get them to right stuff, she told the people to let it go, he got a lien release from the original company that issued it, along with one from the company that bought the lien.

Dmv can be big hassles, I can just imagine what dmv was like before it starting becoming privatized. I can remember hour long lines to register a car and people taking off work to sit at dmv for hours, now this is when it started becoming privatized!!! Imagine what it was like before!!!