PDA

View Full Version : brake rotor guard

dbkbushwacker
01-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Anyone know who makes this brake rotor guard?

Mr. Big Time
01-13-2009, 06:18 PM
I am going to have some made. I will sell you one if you want one, not sure on price yet, I am having sprocket gaurds made too.

Blizzard24
01-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Big Time
I am going to have some made. I will sell you one if you want one, not sure on price yet, I am having sprocket gaurds made too.

Like the LSR and GT Thunder or like the one above in the pic?

If it is like the LST/ GT Thunder design I will take one of each man, pm me.

andiboy123
01-14-2009, 08:50 AM
get a skitplate!!!!!!!!

dbkbushwacker
01-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by andiboy123
get a skitplate!!!!!!!!

I mostly ride sand and drag race alot. I don't want to add too much weight to my ds.

Mr. Big Time
01-14-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm having a skid plate made too. It is very lightweight, yet very strong. Have already had them made for all kinds of quads.

What is it you want like gt thunder....the dual sprocket gaurd?

Blizzard24
01-15-2009, 04:17 AM
What is it you want like gt thunder....the dual sprocket gaurd?

Depending on the material of the Sprocket guard, if it is stainless like the LSR, than a single guard is fine, if it is aluminum like the GT Thunder, Dual guards.

But the sprocket guard is what I am really looking for.

TNT
01-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Your best material for this BRP stock, molded latex plastic has the best compression strength to weight ratio. The 09 have a thick peice of it bolted to the lower swing, protects both rotor and chain from rocks and debri for you MX/XC fellows.

Aluminum will work right if tempered properly and thick enough but probable won't last near as long. Steel is 3X as heavy as aluminum but is also 2X as good in compression (impact from rocks, etc)

You could make this part in your garage just build a flat pattern use the existing plastic design as a form tool or make one out of wood. Go get some aluminum in the "O" condition at a local gantry or some steel and form it over the tool....leave some excess and trim after forming.... If you used aluminum go get it heat treated to T4 and annodized pretty colors. :D

DBk since you race sand you need less impact protection and more overall coverage, use a thinner peice of aluminum but bigger. Your tires will be where it comes from most.

Need more help making the part PM me.

Mr. Big Time
01-15-2009, 06:11 PM
dbkbushwacker Just so you know the rotor gaurd you posted is custom made by motoworks, however, they are not selling them to the public yet... The ones I am having made are stainless.

dbkbushwacker
01-15-2009, 07:32 PM
dbkbushwacker Just so you know the rotor gaurd you posted is custom made by motoworks, however, they are not selling them to the public yet... The ones I am having made are stainless.

ok, thx

ProspectorJim
01-15-2009, 07:57 PM
is the exhaust on that quad a regular motoworks or is it only for their racing team? it looks bigger than the other ones I've seen.

dbkbushwacker
01-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
is the exhaust on that quad a regular motoworks or is it only for their racing team? it looks bigger than the other ones I've seen.

it also looks bigger to me

xsr_racing28c
01-16-2009, 07:54 AM
That is a BRP race dept part.

Blizzard24
01-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by TNT1
Your best material for this BRP stock, molded latex plastic has the best compression strength to weight ratio. The 09 have a thick peice of it bolted to the lower swing, protects both rotor and chain from rocks and debri for you MX/XC fellows.

I hope you are not refering to the stock plastic skid plate on the Standard DS450.., if you are, I have seen it and it will not hold up to XC abuse. While there are other poly's that will withstand quite a bit of punishment, that skid will not.

I destroyed a reinforced wheel and put flat spots on two others as well as mangled the X aluminum swingarm skid all within 3 hrs, and that was just playing around.

The X skid plate hangs waayyy too low and hits everything. A stainless sprocket guard and stainless rotor guard with tight tolerances to rotor itself would be the best bet.

Mr Big Time, if this is what you have planned let me know, I would def be in with you.

Mr. Big Time
01-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Yes they will be stainless steel, they will run about $30-40, I tried to get cheaper, but I cant. The skid plate I am having made will be good for xc, mx, and all other types of riding. I am not sure how to explain what it is made out of, but It will be close to the frame, and very very strong, and yet light weight. The guy has already made them for all kinds of other quads, and trust me, they work fantastic. Not sure on price of that yet.

kellymi
01-16-2009, 08:37 PM
I would probably be interested also. Yea the X package skid plate does hang pretty low!

TNT
01-17-2009, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Blizzard24
I hope you are not refering to the stock plastic skid plate on the Standard DS450.., if you are, I have seen it and it will not hold up to XC abuse. While there are other poly's that will withstand quite a bit of punishment, that skid will not.

I destroyed a reinforced wheel and put flat spots on two others as well as mangled the X aluminum swingarm skid all within 3 hrs, and that was just playing around.

The X skid plate hangs waayyy too low and hits everything. A stainless sprocket guard and stainless rotor guard with tight tolerances to rotor itself would be the best bet.

Mr Big Time, if this is what you have planned let me know, I would def be in with you.

I'm looking at a thick strong light weight plastic 09 rotor/chain guard MX model, super strong! Thats the best material.

Steel is strong but heavy, if you put too much weight down low and not at the distance up top it will affect your CG and handling and rob you of power...I wouldn't purchase any skid plate without a published weight or it's easy to calculate, density of al .1, steel .3.

Aren't you guys at all concerned about the aluminum skid(frame lower center beam) under the motor and arms? I think I am going to get some plastic and bolt it to mine as a replaceable wear surface, it's already showing signs of wear after 10 hours. I noticed YAMs aluminum frame put CM steel there. This DS quad is light what 345 lbs dry I think it is you wanna keep it that way and the CG close to where it is designed at or bad things can happen. I'd think it might be better to replace that lower beam it's simple bent up sheet metal take that weight out and replace it all the way back to the chain guard/rotor, route some lightening holes in it.

Hey Blizzard wasn't it you that was looking at the hinson basket. 2024 - T6 alkadized has 5x the wear resistance might be the way go for a skid too. Again I think the design intent on this quad was to keep it light and fast even at the sacrifice of more maintenance.....

Mr. Big Time
01-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Ok...so far I have 2 people who want a sprocket gaurd and rotor gaurd, am I correct? Let me know asap

WesDS450X
01-17-2009, 01:16 PM
i also noticed the skid plate hangin in the rear a little bit, i was also taggin rocks with it and bein like WTF WAS THAT lol but a single bolt can fix it for hangin

Blizzard24
01-17-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm looking at a thick strong light weight plastic 09 rotor/chain guard MX model, super strong! Thats the best material.

Steel is strong but heavy, if you put too much weight down low and not at the distance up top it will affect your CG and handling and rob you of power...I wouldn't purchase any skid plate without a published weight or it's easy to calculate, density of al .1, steel .3.

Aren't you guys at all concerned about the aluminum skid(frame lower center beam) under the motor and arms? I think I am going to get some plastic and bolt it to mine as a replaceable wear surface, it's already showing signs of wear after 10 hours. I noticed YAMs aluminum frame put CM steel there. This DS quad is light what 345 lbs dry I think it is you wanna keep it that way and the CG close to where it is designed at or bad things can happen. I'd think it might be better to replace that lower beam it's simple bent up sheet metal take that weight out and replace it all the way back to the chain guard/rotor, route some lightening holes in it.

Hey Blizzard wasn't it you that was looking at the hinson basket. 2024 - T6 alkadized has 5x the wear resistance might be the way go for a skid too. Again I think the design intent on this quad was to keep it light and fast even at the sacrifice of more maintenance.....

The MX skid is the same as the stock DS skid, it def would not hold up to XC use... I used to run MX and wouldnt run ANY skid plate on the swingarm, no need to. MX is either hardpack, loom or mud, look at most pros and they arent running a swingarm skid on their bikes, it is just going to hold them up in the ruts with 18" tires.
As for XC use, that stock plastic would be destroyed within minutes. TNT I understand you have a degree in whatever, but real world experience here man. I have been racing XC a while and I have seen what works, what holds up and what doesnt.

As for the frame, yes you need some kind of protection on there regardless of XC, MX or trail riding. The X model has a factory aluminum frame skid and BRP has it available for sale. Casing a jump with a small rock will do some serious damage.

Now before I step off my soap box TNT, I have seen your posts and I can honestly say I take offense to some of your responses, as in your recent post concerning Center Of Gravity and HP numbers.
Most of us "Less educated" people fully understand what Can Am was trying to accomplish with their design and "Centralized Mass", it doesnt take an Aerospace engineer to know that keeping the weight closer to the center means better handling and Unsprung weight. This is why TT racers shave weight off even in ounces to gain advantages, why MX guys run 2 ply tires as opposed to 6 ply tires that XC racers use and why XC racers dont use 23" front tires like desert guys.

The DS puts out lower HP numbers as LTR311 stated but with the lighter weight makes up for that power difference, here is a number for you... for every 10lbs of extra weight, you need to add 1 hp to make up for it, so that LTR450 that LTR311 dyno'd at 51 hp but weighed 415lbs does not have the power to weight ratio as the 48.5 hp 350 lbs DS450. This is real world experience, something you do not seem to have at this time and until you do, you can put any number together you want but the outcome will be entirely different than what you formulated.

Please do not post with your brilliant findings as it is offensive and degrading, most people arent as dumb as you perceive us to be. If one of your end results has meaning and substantiation then post what you find. If you come on here and tell us something is better or worse based on your formulas and hypothesis, dont bother, we need real world here, not what should or shouldn't work based on your calculations.

Blizzard24
01-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Mr Big Time, can you PM me a couple of pics as soon as you have them, I seriously want to pick up a set from you.

GE4x4
01-17-2009, 01:58 PM
The best plastic swing arm skid by far is what is on the Outlaws. Very thick and strong, yet flexable and won't bend. My brother raced 2 seasons on his stock skid until it finally wore through. Much lighter then aluminum. I don't understand why there is no market for these skids. Most who race the Outlaws keep there stock skids.

Blizzard24
01-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
The best plastic swing arm skid by far is what is on the Outlaws. Very thick and strong, yet flexable and won't bend. My brother raced 2 seasons on his stock skid until it finally wore through. Much lighter then aluminum. I don't understand why there is no market for these skids. Most who race the Outlaws keep there stock skids.

I agree with that, the Outlaw and KTM use the same skid and the poly they use is super durable. I wish they made them for other quads.

TNT
01-17-2009, 04:49 PM
The MX skid is the same as the stock DS skid, it def would not hold up to XC use... I used to run MX and wouldnt run ANY skid plate on the swingarm, no need to. MX is either hardpack, loom or mud, look at most pros and they arent running a swingarm skid on their bikes, it is just going to hold them up in the ruts with 18" tires.
As for XC use, that stock plastic would be destroyed within minutes. TNT I understand you have a degree in whatever, but real world experience here man. I have been racing XC a while and I have seen what works, what holds up and what doesnt.

As for the frame, yes you need some kind of protection on there regardless of XC, MX or trail riding. The X model has a factory aluminum frame skid and BRP has it available for sale. Casing a jump with a small rock will do some serious damage.

Now before I step off my soap box TNT, I have seen your posts and I can honestly say I take offense to some of your responses, as in your recent post concerning Center Of Gravity and HP numbers.
Most of us "Less educated" people fully understand what Can Am was trying to accomplish with their design and "Centralized Mass", it doesnt take an Aerospace engineer to know that keeping the weight closer to the center means better handling and Unsprung weight. This is why TT racers shave weight off even in ounces to gain advantages, why MX guys run 2 ply tires as opposed to 6 ply tires that XC racers use and why XC racers dont use 23" front tires like desert guys.

The DS puts out lower HP numbers as LTR311 stated but with the lighter weight makes up for that power difference, here is a number for you... for every 10lbs of extra weight, you need to add 1 hp to make up for it, so that LTR450 that LTR311 dyno'd at 51 hp but weighed 415lbs does not have the power to weight ratio as the 48.5 hp 350 lbs DS450. This is real world experience, something you do not seem to have at this time and until you do, you can put any number together you want but the outcome will be entirely different than what you formulated.

Please do not post with your brilliant findings as it is offensive and degrading, most people arent as dumb as you perceive us to be. If one of your end results has meaning and substantiation then post what you find. If you come on here and tell us something is better or worse based on your formulas and hypothesis, dont bother, we need real world here, not what should or shouldn't work based on your calculations.

Pretty shallow stab and the Engineers that designed your quad without them there would be no "real world" or quad consider yourself lucky I even give you all that perspective, you dont want it Ill be gone I am just trying to help and no I dont think I know it all and I didnt mean to "insult anyone sorry...think what you want, dont matter to me. We can agree to differ, results on the track matter my son is VERY FAST PRO IN MX THE MIDWEST DIDN"T JUST FALL OF THE TURNUP TRUCK...geez I am licensed aircraft mechanic TOO been studying quads 5 years they are NOTHING to me easy.... if quads paid me more Id design and build them.....K, Ill go to a different site...later and good luck!!

WesDS450X
01-17-2009, 04:51 PM
bring ur 09 to the dunes here and ill show you whats up with my 08 =]

Mr. Big Time
01-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Mr Big Time, can you PM me a couple of pics as soon as you have them, I seriously want to pick up a set from you.

will do....itll be a couple of weeks, the sprocket gaurd will be done next week, but I'll be busy with work, and I leave wed night for phoenix, for round 1 of the worcs. When I get back I'll get the gaurd and give them the quad so they can make a rotor gaurd, and skid plate. He's really fast, at getting this stuff done, he just doesnt live right buy me, so its hard to get to him with convienence.

ProspectorJim
01-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Pretty shallow stab and the Engineers that designed your quad without them there would be no "real world" or quad consider yourself lucky I even give you all that perspective, you dont want it Ill be gone I am just trying to help and no I dont think I know it all and I didnt mean to "insult anyone sorry...think what you want, dont matter to me. We can agree to differ, results on the track matter my son is VERY FAST PRO IN MX THE MIDWEST DIDN"T JUST FALL OF THE TURNUP TRUCK...geez I am licensed aircraft mechanic TOO been studying quads 5 years they are NOTHING to me easy.... if quads paid me more Id design and build them.....K, Ill go to a different site...later and good luck!!

And if those engineers didn't have experienced riders to test these things and share their knowledge of what works and what doesn't, the ds450 would be a piece of junk with a nice designed ...

Blizzard24
01-18-2009, 06:29 AM
will do....itll be a couple of weeks, the sprocket gaurd will be done next week, but I'll be busy with work, and I leave wed night for phoenix, for round 1 of the worcs. When I get back I'll get the gaurd and give them the quad so they can make a rotor gaurd, and skid plate. He's really fast, at getting this stuff done, he just doesnt live right buy me, so its hard to get to him with convienence.

Awesome man, I really appreciate it.

kellymi
01-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Your gonna have to count me out on this one. I want it but I now have to put that money towards tires and shocks on my pickup.

ProConcept
03-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Bringing this back. I'm very interested in getting a sprocket guard and brake rotor guard. Someone let me know who makes them.

Blizzard24
03-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah Mr Big Time, any word on these? I had my first race this weekend and the X Skid hung up on EVERYTHING, I could really use a sprocket guard. Thanks -Chris

ml450r
03-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by dbkbushwacker

Hell with the brake guard,Where do I get that sticker kit?

TNT
03-30-2009, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by ml450r
Hell with the brake guard,Where do I get that sticker kit?

What in the first post? You have access to it you are an approved racer for Marine World where you purchased your quad, and have access to the Warnet Race team parts. I beleive Trever is talking to Nathan about this today, give Nathan or Devin a call.

ml450r
03-30-2009, 10:00 AM
ok, I haven't heard anything back from them yet. I am still wanting my performace kit.:cool:

ml450r
03-30-2009, 10:00 AM
ok, I haven't heard anything back from them yet. I am still wanting my performace kit.:cool:

Mr. Big Time
03-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah Mr Big Time, any word on these? I had my first race this weekend and the X Skid hung up on EVERYTHING, I could really use a sprocket guard. Thanks -Chris

Yup...sorry. I have a sprocket gaurd made. It cost $60 though. Thats what the guy wants. He will know if I try to get some from him, and just sell them cheaper. Its only more expensive cause its done with a water machine rather than a laser. Rotor gaurd have not done yet, will do very soom though. I'm gonna need it for my next race.

Blizzard24
03-31-2009, 04:31 AM
Sent you a PM Mr Big Time

ScottB125
08-29-2010, 01:01 PM
I really like that Motoworks rotor guard. Anyone know if someone makes something similar and do they make one for the chain?

Thanks

Dickie
08-29-2010, 07:23 PM
BCS Performance make something that looks identical to the one on the Motoworks Can Am bike on the first page of the forum. Check their webpage:

www.bcsperformance.com

Also, you can check it out when i was putting it on my quad. There is a thread on my page titled 2010 Bike Prep

www.joshdick.thumbpump.com

They also have a sprocket protecter that you can bolt to th sprocket hub to protect the sprocket.

Hope this helps.

nvrpmx
08-30-2010, 02:37 PM
call motoworks 951-587-9222 ask for race team dept.

Shawn Hess
09-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by dbkbushwacker

Blingstar makes the brake rotor guard and the dual sprocket guards for the Can-Ams

Contact Blingstar: 1 866 41 BLING

Note: Its not on the website yet, but just call them.

I will post pictures soon.

florentino
09-27-2010, 11:18 AM

tnt is the man. thats the only reason that i come to see the can am forum. i like most of what he says. sorry my english is not to good.
you do know that this is a forum and you are free to talk about your ideas. if you dont like. then move on. not a big deal.
i am here to learn thats it. i am done racing. it fun to work on quads. about the can am better the the ltr thats all in the rider.
some how this season for the first time i get to see 4 can ams in a race. and they are doing real good. 2 are full motoworks race bikes