PDA

View Full Version : nitro methane?

buck440
01-13-2009, 11:55 AM
i know no one will ever prolly do this but does anyone know what you would have to do to the 400ex to make it run off nitro methane AKA the liquid of satan? its a question thats been in the back of my mind and ive always wondered. or if it simply cant.

rideracelivemx7
01-13-2009, 12:07 PM
youd be talking abut some macvhine work for the studs, and newer lower end to be safe, not sure that the eom crank rod can hold that much powerwith out grenading.

scuzz
01-13-2009, 12:08 PM
14.6 kg of air is required to burn one kilogram of gasoline, but only 1.7 kg of air for one kilogram of nitromethane. Also, nitromethane generates about 2.3 times the power of gasoline when combined with a given amount of oxygen.

You would have to have a specialized carb and a fire extinguisher to get it right.

buck440
01-13-2009, 01:01 PM
what about valves? stock? i just wanted like a list of what you need and the total. how much is nitro methane anyway?

rcatvrider
01-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Nitro methane is alot more than racing fuel, I can tell you that much. Rc fuel is primarily nitro methane and methanol and costs over 25+ dollars a gallon. You can ignite nitro without spark it's flash point is so low.

drew416ex
01-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
Nitro methane is alot more than racing fuel, I can tell you that much. Rc fuel is primarily nitro methane and methanol and costs over 25+ dollars a gallon. You can ignite nitro without spark it's flash point is so low.

Yeah for r/c fuel that only has 30% nitro methane content its around $30. Plus, top fuel dragsters cant run 100% nitro, its diluted with 10% methanol. As far as what you have to do to run it, name it. You probably have to go through the whole motor.

sprayedgt
01-14-2009, 03:49 AM
Last year when I bought 100% Nitro Methane for my alcohol dragster it was right at $20 a gallon. If you can't get it locally and have it shipped add another $40-$50 on top for Hazmat charges. The flame front for nitro methane is over 4,000 degrees. It cannot burn completely in the combustion chamber and burns in the exhaust on the way out. It also burns 8.7 times faster than gas and burns almost white. You would also need an EXTREME ignition to ignite and control the burn since that is not an easy task. You're basically coaxing it to detonate. So unless you plan on installing a huge gas tank so you could ride for a while, wearing a fire suit, melting your plastics, along with your valves, piston, head, block, exhaust, and pretty much anything else in the engine, it's not a good idea. No one would ride behind you since the fumes make you gag, choke, and damn near cry. If it did work out the least you would have to change would be the spark plug after every ride:p

buck440
01-14-2009, 09:17 AM
i just thought it could be done cause on youtube i saw a hillclimb bike that they said ran off nitro methane so i figured hay, but you got to admit it would make it a sleeper:eek2:

sc400ex_rider
01-14-2009, 02:38 PM
i got some nitro rc cars and i always wanted to spike the fuel a little just to see what happens. im to chicken im going to try it on a friends first. LOL

rcatvrider
01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
I've run a leaf blower on a mix of gas and rc fuel. Smelled like an rc.

brian76708
01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2L_MJ0sILfM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2L_MJ0sILfM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

buck440
01-14-2009, 05:54 PM
SCARY

sc400ex_rider
01-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
I've run a leaf blower on a mix of gas and rc fuel. Smelled like an rc. did it run better? its kinda hard to tell on a leaf blower but did it rev faster? any meltdowns?

CSR400EX
01-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by buck440
i just thought it could be done cause on youtube i saw a hillclimb bike that they said ran off nitro methane so i figured hay, but you got to admit it would make it a sleeper:eek2:
check this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNbhFJ2zr1U)

a little off topic but just some bikes that run on nitro. the streetbike motors are using 98% nitro.

rcatvrider
01-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
did it run better? its kinda hard to tell on a leaf blower but did it rev faster? any meltdowns? It revved it bit higher but but it was running like crap to begin with on regular gas, not because of the nitro. Because of that I couldn't really compare the performance with straight gas and with nitro. The smell was different for sure though.

hondaman146
01-25-2009, 10:29 PM
I used to have nitro rcs and when i had my warrior i used to mix the rc nitro methane with gasoline, don't really know if it did anything except you could smell it burning