PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Smoke Please Help

zzsa02
01-13-2009, 09:06 AM
I have a 05 YFZ with a 08 crank and a JE pistion 13 to 1. Ran good all last season started to burn some oil plus it had filled my airbox up with oil I thought the rings are going out. So I pulled the top end apart at it looks like the rings were shot. Clynder didn't look bad at all didn't see any groves it was clean. So I order new rings installed them how JE said to. When you start the motor theres just alittle smoke but when you give it gas it pours out white smoke. I know white is usally water burning. It doesn't smell to me I cant tell the difference from oil or water. When I took it apart again last night it look there was a little oil setting on top of the piston. Also looks like the piston was sitting to the front of clynder leaving a 1/16 gap maybe at the back side. After reading the service manual it shows to put the ring gaps in differnet locations. Has anyone ran into this before? Any help on how to change the rings are any tips would be great. It starts right up and runs real good but after a few mins with garage door open you cant see across the garage.

Due to not having money I'm trying to fixed this myself. I work at a retail store for motocross apparel and parts so I have access to all parts to save money on I don't have money for labor!

zzsa02
01-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Also the guy who put it together on the last rebuild said with the newer crank installed it would bump it up another 1/2 point on compresson and that it that I needed double up on the gasket. It didn't somke or anything before I open it up. It has four gaskets for the head. I didn't replace the head gasket I'm wonder if that may be problem but to order another oem one do I need two or one?

quaddad#123
01-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I would say you need one new gasket. we have had alot of problems with JE pistons cracking, now we are running a CP piston in one of our YFZs. Also take a good look at the cylinder for real fine cracks, GOOD LUCK....

Ride1Rob
01-13-2009, 06:38 PM
I've also had problems with JE pistons. Had 2 to crack on me also. Your problem with the white smoke are your gaskets. You should have replaced those with your rings. And did I read it correct that your stacking four gaskets?

zzsa02
01-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Yes that is what the guy did when he put the motor together last time.