PDA

View Full Version : 09 crf motors????

Rootar
01-12-2009, 10:40 PM
So who will be the first to get one of these babies and have the first electronic fuel injected crf hybrid????? Id like to get my hands on one but i already have two crf motor for my PRP one has less than 5 hours on it, and my other is due for a new piston and vavle springs so i pulled it out awhile back at 32 hours.......i guess i could sell both my motors and have close to enough to get one but this would onyl work if it excepted my waterpump cover, and kicker ext, the mounts can be changed no big deal but i guess we'll have to wait and see if the waterpump covers would fit and about the kicker extensions, mabye someone that works at a dealership could find out for us.....

anyone else interested in the new crf motors?

racerx573
01-13-2009, 06:49 AM
It would definitely be sick...but hybrids are the new dying breeds, first the 250R's became extinct, and now hybrids..

I just sold my Laeger's YZ 426, and you KNOW hybrids are dying when I sell mine, same with when I sold my R....

If you can do it, and race locally and go school all these new production quads (which I KNOW, an EFI CRF would do), props to you, and props on a sick build.

But it's a different story when you're unable to get parts at the track cuz everyone around you is on a newer quad.

Rootar
01-13-2009, 11:19 AM
i dunno i never really need parts.... ILL NEVER switch to production bikes ive got a quadtech 250r seat and until they make a bike with a more comfortable seat thats all the reason i need i hate the seats on all the production bikes.

jrspawn
01-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Who knows, you just might see an 09 crf hybrid someday shortly..........

On another note, i wouldnt go as far as saying hybrids are dying breeds. I would say the conversion hybrids, yes those are not as popular as years ago(but people will always be building conversion quads). But the true hybrid quads like Walsh, Laegers, and some of the other companies will Always be around as alot of people who have ridden them know why they are the most wanted aftermarket chassis quad out there. I can tell you these quads hold there value to the right people, and i dont see there value's dropping just becuase of them being a hybrid, the economy is playing the biggest role with price drops in the ATV market. Theres alot of collectors like myself out there also, and as more time goes by,things become more sought after.

Thank you
Justin

kodymx13
01-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by jrspawn

On another note, i wouldnt go as far as saying hybrids are dying breeds. I would say the conversion hybrids, yes those are not as popular as years ago(but people will always be building conversion quads). But the true hybrid quads like Walsh, Laegers, and some of the other companies will Always be around as alot of people who have ridden them know why they are the most wanted aftermarket chassis quad out there. I can tell you these quads hold there value to the right people, and i dont see there value's dropping just becuase of them being a hybrid, the economy is playing the biggest role with price drops in the ATV market. Theres alot of collectors like myself out there also, and as more time goes by,things become more sought after.

Thank you
Justin

AMEN!! Everybody wants a prod. bike because its kind of a fad thing and thats where all the factory rides are at. But for older guys or guys like me that rode a great 250r, a framed hybrid and doesnt care about the nationals a true hybrid is the only way to go. yes there expensive BUT in the long run their way cheaper. (ive learned that) And as far as prices dropping.. people arent selling prod bikes either!

And as far as the 09? I cant wait to see one. Then maybe when i finally get out of tech school i may buy a crf and see what i can do. But I do have a question. does anybody know how big and bulky the efi is? is it compact or wires galore?!?! also if we can do a crf why cant we do a efi rmz?? that motor has to wipethe floor with a ltr.

Rootar
01-14-2009, 05:50 AM
thats the only reason i was interested is becasuse the 09crf's stuff is ultra compact and doesnt use a battery.... plus the whole motor itself is smaller. Now main thing is gotta find out if the water pump cover number crosses with the older one, and if it uses the same spline for the kickstart.

kodymx13
01-14-2009, 07:06 AM
why are you worried about the water pump and kicker? just get more creative with your rad hoses and use the stock kicker. i do.

Rootar
01-14-2009, 09:02 AM
why? because i have a crap load of dream water pump covers avaible to me, and i have 2 kicker extensions.....ill just keep my TWO crf motors if its gonna be much trouble.

250Renvy
01-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I was looking at one not that long ago, cause I was debating putting one in my HRE frame, since I can go from CRF to 250R. The biggest issue I see is the pipe is routed completely different than the old CRF motors as well as new motor mounts would have to be made.

This is a completely redesigned motor and wouldn't likely be a drop in for most hybrids, luckily I designed my frame just for that so there would be no cutting or welding needed just fabbing new removable mounts like headstay, bottom stay and front mounts.

KPatterson
01-14-2009, 08:55 PM
or would it work to just buy the efi system and put it on one of your motors? or maybe thats not the way it works?

Rootar
01-15-2009, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by KPatterson
or would it work to just buy the efi system and put it on one of your motors? or maybe thats not the way it works?

hmmm that would be a great idea, i have no idea if i would work but i dont see why it wouldnt all the sensors and such are in the intake area i believe...... i need to make some phone calls and find out more.

KPatterson
01-15-2009, 07:53 AM
let me know what you find out.. if it works and is worth it i may consider it, when i have more money that is

Rootar
01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
well that idea wont work because you gotta have the cam and crank postion sensors inside the motor, other than those 2 its all external and parts came out to abotu 1200 with the programable fuel map.

the microfiche of the w/p cover says for 09 only so i guess its also different, but the kick start spline is the same.

oh well

miles Machine
01-06-2010, 12:21 PM
id love to see the 09 engine in a 250r geo frame....i think fuel injection is the best way to go (personal opinion)....someone could easily fab up motor mounts ive seen ppl do more complex builds...but i see a few other major problems

1.how to make the pipe fit
2.fuel pump
3.fuel re tune lines to the tank
4.pressure regulator mount

hope someone tries it...it think it would be the best of the hybrids

hontrx265r
01-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I'll let the cat out of the bag.... I just finished putting an 09 crf in a protrax laeger frame. Dropped it off today to get billet headstay mounts made, and custom exhaust. I'll get pics soon enough..

hontrx265r
01-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I was reading through some of the stuff you guys were curious about as far as fit. The throttle body is small in comparison to a carb however its 50mm round so bulky in that aspect. The exhaust is easy you just need to know someone who builds custom exhaust. fuel pump.. if you use the stock one you don't need a return line but you will have to build an aluminum tank.. Which is the last thing we are working on. You could run an ltr fuel pump and figure out the whole return line thing but thats not clean at all. The h20 pump cover is different but I'm using an afco radiator which is a double pass and has both hoses on the same side.. the crf motor already points that way so also super easy . I took the cv4 hoses from a raptor 700 trimmed them up and done.

miles Machine
01-06-2010, 09:05 PM
i was thinking the same thing with the ltr pump but wasnt sure how clean it would be.....so the stock crf system dosnt have a pressure regulator??...Cant wait to see pics thats like my dream quad lol

hontrx265r
01-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Yes its just a single line that comes straight to the throttle body. I have to be honest so far its gone great..although I've learned so much from my other builds. This one presents its own challenges along the way just like any project. I really don't want to show pics till its finished but maybe..

miles Machine
01-06-2010, 11:24 PM
pm sent

Lasher
01-07-2010, 09:15 AM
I have given serious thought to putting a 09 crf motor in my son's new Walsh...but I will have enough trouble just getting the thing built with an older motor! Left it as an upgrade down the road.

One thing that turned me off, was the need for a special gas tank. But I will keep an eye on this thread since we do not have a motor yet.

oh...I agree with others on the 250R style hybrids. The handling is above any production quad. But even in a large local series (NEATV) we might be the only one. Everyone runs production machines. Maybe my son will change some minds this season?

xrxmxcx
01-07-2010, 09:20 AM
I will admit NEATV has faded away from the days of custom ATV's, and is leading into production bikes very strongly. When I first started racing I was on a full hybrid, then built 2, and raced them. With the money it takes to build a new hybrid, after finding a chassis, and all the parts that no one makes anymore its a stretch!

There's nothing like the feeling of going to a dealership and buying a part that fits your bike and not having to guess...

Walsh has done a good thing with still offering chassis, and giving you all the info on what parts you need. Where people aren't turned on by hybrid anymore is the price tag these days!

Lasher
01-07-2010, 09:35 AM
I don't think the cost difference is that much for what you are gaining. Off the top of my head here are a couple options and estimated costs I thought about.

Buying used 04/05 450R. 3 grand (or 7 grand new)
Add in arms/swingarm/shocks/motor tear down you can add another 5-6 grand.

Buying used Hybrid...if you can find one...say 5-6 grand? And then you still need to tear into everything to make sure it is up for the season.

To me...the chassis is the only item on a race quad that should not need maintaince. Everything else need constant fixing/rebuilding during the season.

NEATV racers are funny. All the newer guys (not racing 30+ or 40+) did not know what the heck my 250R was. To them...the production quads are the king...little do they know, those young wipper snappers!

Oh...I don't go to dealerships unless I have to. I support my local shop and he can order it for me.

mcarlson1
01-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I think its really funny all these people that got into atvs when the 450s came out dont even know what my 250r is! They think that my quad is gonna get smoked by them and you should see their face when im at the top of the hill before them, its priceless!! They have absolutely no idea what the 250r did to quad racing. Back to the thread at hand i cant wait to see the pics of your quad, i hope u show some close ups to what was done to make everything work!

Thanks,
Mike

Lasher
01-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by mcarlson1
Back to the thread at hand i cant wait to see the pics of your quad, i hope u show some close ups to what was done to make everything work!

Hopefully before I buy a motor as well!

kodymx13
01-07-2010, 07:30 PM
i personally will NEVER ride another production bike again, unless someone gave me a ktm. hybrids may be more expensive in the first place but in the long run ive found their way cheaper. say if you buy a walsh frame. just keep the motor fresh and your good for a long time. production frames dont hold up. i ride with guys that have 15-20 grand in their trx's ltr's and yfz's and after a year their junk. plus when i show up at a track nobody know what my bike is?? they dont understand the object of a hybrid. then when they see my 500 link rear end work they cry because their "super link" cant do that. and i thought the dealership thing was kinda funny. im a fabricator so i can make my own stuff and i have "a guy" because any dealer within 2 hrs of my is a total joke that dont even stock spark plugs. but if you want the newest ghetto fox gear they have 17 sets. o and o and another thing on hybrids is the weight. my jb weighs in at 353 with oil, water, slap full of fuel. now what production bike is even close to that dry?

but as for the topic id really like to see a efi crf hybrid. personally im not completely sold on efi but it would be cool.

woodsracer144
01-07-2010, 08:00 PM
you know, i've rode on alot of quads, and i havnt found one production quad that i like...

i had a hybred converson for a while but i go so sick of dealing with the other guys mistakes that i got rid of it and went back to my 250r...

dont get me wrong that yzf 400 and 426 is a killer motor! i loved mine... i just didnt care for the work of the guy that i got it from...

I personally dont see these going away... try it... i think if you get it to work you would have a great setup...

and with the new EDT you could even race it... im going to try and race my 250r in SD if everything goes well... hope fully i dont get OWNED!

racer 557
01-17-2010, 10:32 AM
hey kody mx not tryin to start anything but my dry weight is what your saying u wanna see haha

but yea hey man get some pics up i asked about puttin that motor in my bike and everyone was like its to much of a hastle and alot of work, i had to choose either getting a crf motor trx or spend 2k getting my trx rebuilt i WAS gonna go with a crf but my dad talked to the shop and they said it has no advantages over a trx i was like ummm dad it would work good

rooster408
01-19-2010, 12:24 PM
any updates on the build?!!!!!

Nahum
01-20-2010, 07:29 AM
any updates on the build?!!!!!

Yeah, what about the photos??? :eek2:

miles Machine
01-22-2010, 06:06 PM
i think hes lying

hontrx265r
01-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Yea you would say that so that I'll post a pic but .... I'm not going to yet. I've been working on this really slow for probably four to six months now. I just don't have much time and I want it to be perfect. Soon enough guys... I'll put at least one pic up in the next two weeks. Waiting on my cr500 rear shock from axis anyway...

rooster408
01-23-2010, 04:01 AM
lookin 4ward to seenin them.!!!!!

miles Machine
02-03-2010, 10:21 AM
gettin close to that 2 weeks

hontrx265r
02-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Yea I know I haven't done much to it lately though. I'm in the process of buying a house.. The machinest is still working on the fitting for my fuel pump in the aluminum tank. Shock for the cr500 link took like 3 wks but its on its way now. If you've done one you know how it can be........... however since you've been patiently persistant.. I'll at least give you a pic to show I'm not full of it!

hontrx265r
02-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Just looking at that pic makes me anxious to get in to the motor.. can't wait to see what we can do with that massive throttle body. We now have access to a flowbench and dyno.. Been doing alot of our own head work on the trx/ltr's with nice gains..ahhhh it never ends..

mcarlson1
02-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Must....have....more..pics!! Im dieing of thirst over here and need to see more! How bout a side pic of it?

Thanks,
Mike

laeger2fiddyr
02-05-2010, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by mcarlson1
Must....have....more..pics!! Im dieing of thirst over here and need to see more! How bout a side pic of it?

Thanks,
Mike

yeah we need some more pics!!!:)

audioworks04
03-01-2010, 06:12 PM
any updates on this build?

hontrx265r
03-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Sorry guys I haven't done much lately. I got my billet motor mounts done. And I've been working on it here and there, but money is really tight I just bought a house.. I'm so close but at a stand still for a little bit. Right now I get to be excited about appliances...

woodsracer144
03-02-2010, 09:48 AM
what kind of a motor is that?

250x_kyle
03-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
what kind of a motor is that?

its an 09. figured it out by the name of the thread :confused: .

woodsracer144
03-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
its an 09. figured it out by the name of the thread :confused: .

i didnt think he started the tread, i didnt know if it was a yzf motor... or something else... i think the zuki is FI also.. didnt know,

mildtowildracin
03-08-2010, 06:40 PM
okay everyone change your tampon i got one comin in the nxt 2 weeks. thats all im sayen for now, as soon as im done ill post the pics of the build.

HOLMAN
03-09-2010, 12:22 PM
AMEN BROTHA!!!! Well said.....

Originally posted by jrspawn
Who knows, you just might see an 09 crf hybrid someday shortly........

Thank you
Justin

hontrx265r
04-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Ok mildtowildracin. Its been well over two weeks. I'm waiting to see whats up your sleeve? I'm seeing florida in your location. I'm thinking walsh? I tried to post pics last night of my laeger fi crf project I've been working on, as its getting very close to finished. But my camera crapped out and it just showed all black photos so it will have to be after the weekend. You guys are going to love it. I'm so excited this is by far the most extensive detailed hybrid I've built and I can't wait to ride it.

97Rocks
04-10-2010, 12:03 AM
can't wait to see it, my friend and I are currently working on a Laeger yz/ktm conversion that I think will raise some eyebrows. We bought a brand new Milwaukee sawzall and a Lincoln arcwelder. Hope we can make it work.....

rooster408
04-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Cant wait to c it,hope u get it up soon!!!!!

mildtowildracin
04-11-2010, 07:08 PM
sorry guys, but we got screwed on the 2 motors that we were suppost to get and then my dad got kicked out the shop. where still gonna build one but i just dont know how long its gonna be. sorry :/