PDA

View Full Version : hot rod cranks&rods?

chamberlain31c
01-12-2009, 12:09 AM
hot rod cranks and rods are these any good? are there any other makers? or just stock stuff?

jhtrx250r
01-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Alaways go stock, they seem to last twice as long as a hot rods crank
Hot rods cranks are cheeper and you get what you pay for they are almost alaways out of ballance when new, and if not welded they will rotate out of ballacnce over a short period of time
Stock honda cranks are just right right out of the box and last a long time ( think of how many 250r motors are still running with the stock crank from the 80's the 1989 was the last production modle, thats 20 years ago)
the 86,87&88 are legal to drink alchol and smoke!

morse250r
01-12-2009, 07:36 AM
ive just heard stories that they are not that good

brokenmike
01-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I have heard some stories too,but I have NEVER had a problem with them. :confused:

superevil
01-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I have always run hot rods and have never had a problem.
I bought one for my 310r,and i had the balance and true checked before i installed it,because i have heard about them being off when they are brand new. Everything check out well within tolerance.
Im sure there are some people out there who have had bad ones but i never have

atvmxr
01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
+1

my HR crank/rod is 3 years old. I've had stockers not last this long...

matt250r21
01-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Hot rods are JUNK

motoguy450r
01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
i've ran hot rods in about everything, 250r, 400 z/ex, 450r, lt250 and have never had one go bad, but i do have some busted cases, cranks, rods and pistons from where the stock ones have went bad in my 450r. it just personal opinion.

Aceman
01-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I MIGHT consider a HotRods Crank IF a crank shop looked at it first. Plus had them true/weld it.

After thinking about it a bit more, I'd probably still not use one. It's just not worth trashing a motor over a crank with a sketchy past. For a few dollars more, I'll stick with OEM. There are places to skimp when building an R, but a piece of machinery rotating at 5-6K plus between my legs.........uh NO!!

rustyATV
01-13-2009, 11:00 PM
I had a Hot Rods crank in my R once. It took three days to get the cases to seat; I used lots of heat, countless full-swings with a hammer, and plenty of swearing before the cases came together AND the crank spun freely. When a gasket leak forced me to split the cases a few months later, I pulled the crank (with more hammering and cussing) and tossed it on the bench. My OEM crank slipped right in cold, with no fuss. From now on I will always rebuild my OEM crank.

All250R
01-14-2009, 02:49 PM
It's pretty cheap (or something) that they can't be bothered to machine the right journal for a slip fit into the main bearing. Honda designed it with a bolt on the right side so an interference fit is not necessary and case separation/assembly is easy. It seems to me HotRods just says... "who cares about Honda's user friendly design?"

They lack the motivation too to put the punch mark to help align the counterbalancer gears. It's great. Company decisions like that make me think that it's no wonder so many people complain about poor quality in other areas - like it's ability to stay in one piece.

CorvetteZ06
01-15-2009, 08:01 AM
ive never had a problem with any of my hot rods...... have them in 3 different motors...