PDA

View Full Version : axle install question

snacob14
01-11-2009, 07:52 PM
OK, i've installed my new bearings into the bearing carrier. I went for a ride for about two hours, and it seems as there is play again in the rearend. Not a ton, but enough to see when you move it. Is this normal, should it be sealed up tight and not have any movement when installed. :scary:

danhung11
01-11-2009, 08:22 PM
What kind of "play"? Shouldn't be too much if at all any, especially with new bearings. Is this twin row or tapered?

Is your locknut and pinch bolts tight? :ermm:

snacob14
01-11-2009, 08:50 PM
its a stock carrier. I tightened the nut pretty tight, I had it in gear and it would turn the motor.

Rich250RRacer
01-11-2009, 08:58 PM
The axle is probably worn, it's fairly common.

danhung11
01-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by snacob14
its a stock carrier. I tightened the nut pretty tight, I had it in gear and it would turn the motor.

Being in gear should not stop the motor from turning over.

Rich, what do you mean by worn axle?

snacob14
01-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I understand it won't stop the motor from turning, but I torqued it until the motor turned.

86 Quad R
01-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by danhung11
Being in gear should not stop the motor from turning over.

Rich, what do you mean by worn axle?

he could be referring to the slack between the inner bearing race and the axle. axles with ALOT of ride time will develope this slack. its normal. a fix is to run a dual row bearing/carrier.

snacob14: try re-adjusting things with the rear wheels off the ground and check for play afterwards. if all is snugg, run it a bit and re-check but be carefull. i've seen worn center sleeves put too much "side" load on the bearings.

Rich250RRacer
01-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
[B]he could be referring to the slack between the inner bearing race and the axle. axles with ALOT of ride time will develope this slack. its normal. a fix is to run a dual row bearing/carrier.

Correct, you'll feel a wear spot on the axle where the bearing rides. No matter how hard you crank on the nut, you'll still have play. A twin row carrier will fix it.