PDA

View Full Version : tranny issues

hondaman146
01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
alright my 2nd gear went out about a month ago but i don't have the funds to fix it so i just skip 2nd and go to third but now my 3rd is slipping and making grinding sounds if i romp on it, and 2nd will only work if you go slow but if you hit the gas at all it will kick out, any ideas as to what it is gears or shift forks? I've never tore into a 400ex motor before as i had a warrior before and bought the hoda hoping to not have to mess with it as i thought they were bulletproof

buck440
01-11-2009, 07:59 PM
its kinda funny when people come on here and are like why did this happen or i thought it was bullet proof, you, after they are almost obviously the problem due to lack of funds, understandably, or are too cheap but yet continue to ride as if the problem was not one

01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
did you use the clutch when you shifted?

hondaman146
01-11-2009, 08:55 PM
yes i use the clutch when i shift, 2nd went out of it right after i bought it it is a well used 400 that i only gave $1000 for that i worked for a month to save up for it and now i'm laid off and can't afford to fix it and we go riding about every other day and i didn't want to be left out so i just keep riding it i will get it fixed when i get the money, i was just wanting to get an idea as to what it could be

Ntensweapon
01-11-2009, 09:29 PM
You are looking at a hefty repair bill...unless you can split cases.
You probably have a bent shift fork and a few gears that are toast. You'll obviously want to change the bad gears and change the corresponding ones to those gears. Change out anything thats questionable.

I just had mine rebuilt. I lost 3rd gear only but replaced 5 gears i think. Not sure how much it was for that. I ended up doing rings, valves,valve grind, more port and polish, oil pump, and HD studs.
I think it was like 8 bucks or something for everything.

hondaman146
01-11-2009, 09:40 PM
i know how to split the cases and do all that i had a warrior that i had to replace a shift fork and a crank. i also want to re ring it and have it ported, it is burning a little bit of oil also

hondaman146
01-11-2009, 09:42 PM
i looks like i might be better off finding another bottom end, it has a lower end noise but its been that way since i've had it, i'll be looking on ebay for bottom ends, or maybe tranny gears but it'll be a while before i can afford to fix it

Ntensweapon
01-11-2009, 09:54 PM
If You can split cases you can probably get by for a few hundred. The gears are kindof expensive for what they are. You think you bottom end noise is the crank? Otherwise the other stuff you mentioned could be done at anytime.

You can do what you want. But i wouldn't risk buying a used bottom end that could end having the same problems you have now. If you rebuild yours it should be good for a long time.

sc400ex_rider
01-12-2009, 08:58 AM
yep i bet the other owner was one of those "i dont use my clutch when i shift people" then when it started acting up he unloaded it. if it only lasted a month im sure it had symptoms so he unloaded it cheap. if you dont feel like you can split the cases yourself. try to find a moto tech who does work on the side, it will be loads cheaper. these quads really are bullet proof unless you just straight beat and abuse them. i bought my quad new and have never had a failure of any kind. i agree fix it right and it will last you a long time.

hondaman146
01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
ya your probally right u never know what your going to get when buying used, i can spilt the cases on my own i just want to do alittle more work to it while its that far down like put rings in it or maybe a new piston depending on what kind of shape it is in, and also a little port work

atl_josh
01-13-2009, 03:01 PM
You have to use your clutch when shifting? J/k, I however have a similar problem. We are rebuilding a motor from top to bottom. The transmission however when ran would jump out of second at high speeds and grind. We have the tranny apart right now and the gears and everything seem fine, any ideas what it might be?

Ntensweapon
01-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Check the "dogs" on the gears. Thats where all the work is being done. The edges are probably rolled over. The problem is rarely with the gear teeth.

Check the forks also.

sc400ex_rider
01-14-2009, 08:34 AM
YEP ^^^ it's the square notches buy the shaft that transmit the energy.