PDA

View Full Version : high octane fuel

crixal
01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
do you gain anything from using higher than 91 octane in a stock quad? i think he guy was using 98-100 octane on a z400 w/ just a pipe.

BlaineKaiser450
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM
you dont gain anything on a dyno, but it gives it more response and it feels a little more torqey when you ride it. If youve got the money, id run it. I would run it, and have beofe, but since im working off of a 14 year olds salary, i cant afford 8$ a gallon.

scuzz
01-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Will it hurt anything to run that?

soyo
01-12-2009, 06:31 PM
your not going to gain anything from higher octane in a stock motor!

the only thing you will notice is your wallet will be lighter!

jersey devil
01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
High octane race fuel will not hurt a stock motor nor will it make anymore power useing it.Only time you need it is for a high compression modified motor.
If someone tells you different he was mislead.So don't waste your money.

atl_josh
01-13-2009, 12:05 PM
I plan on making my 400ex to a 440 with 12:1 comp. will I need high compression gas or is regular good? Couldnt find the answer any where.

jersey devil
01-13-2009, 01:04 PM
I don't know your motor build or combination but running 12 to 1 compression is on the edge and I would run race gas.You get any detonation and there goes your piston and other problems.
Running the 11's in compression you can get by depending on how high but I wouldn't take any chances with regular gas at 12 to 1.
So do your homework until you are sure and good luck.Ride hard!

icepreddy
01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Who ever sells you the big bore kit should be able to tell you what the fuel octane and your ball park jet settings should be. If they can't tell you thats sad.

atl_josh
01-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Im getting a JE piston 440 kit off ebay. Figured many owners on the forums, maybe someone would know. I seen both a 11:1 and a 12:1 the 11:1 was a brand I never heard of and others on here seem to speak of the 12:1 a lot more that i see.

John451
01-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah for a 12;1 compression I'd run super gas at the pump and if you feel a bog or throttle hesitance or hear pinging during acceleration or wierd deceleration then you'd needa go to cam2 or 12.. i forget which one is gas.

And thank you people who know that high octane gas DOES NOT increase HP. Well, in a stock motor at least. When it needs it and u dyno it on regular and its detinating the rings off then go to high octane it will show hp increase. But im a mechanic and so many people come and tell me that it does increase hp and are convinced that it does lol w/e.

jersey devil
01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I'am amazed also at the people that believe racing gas is going to give them more hp.Some are very adament about it also.Can'
t tell them anything.
We probably wouldn't believe how many people use it in there cars,boats and any other toys they have.Its a shame they are just throwing there dollars away.

2-330s
01-14-2009, 12:14 AM
sorry to rain on the race gas parade. but there are some exceptions. vp makes some low octane "race gas" with oxidizers in it that do bump hp. but for $25 or more a gallon it won't take long to save your $ to mod your motor.there are also additives like propoleine oxide and nitro meth that you can add to power up for when you need it.

jersey devil
01-14-2009, 02:44 PM
No your not raining on anybodys parade.We are all here for any tips we can pass on that may be help to others.Thats what great about hobbies and sports.
We always can learn something new now and then.
I was aware of the oxidizers you are talking about but the whole race gas issue is confusing to some on here that don't quite understand.Not anybodys fault its just that some of us have more experience then others and have been hands on for quite some time and understand the mechanics of performance motors and the need for high octane fuel.
Thanks for passing on the info.

John451
01-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by jersey devil
I'am amazed also at the people that believe racing gas is going to give them more hp.Some are very adament about it also.Can'
t tell them anything.
We probably wouldn't believe how many people use it in there cars,boats and any other toys they have.Its a shame they are just throwing there dollars away.

Aw shyt yeah they should all use the right gas and give us all the money they would have wasted.

2-330s
01-15-2009, 12:46 AM
yeah you can spend ALOT of money chasing power. i have built a hand full of 4-strokes 11,12.5,13 and 14 to1 450s, 13 to 1 525 ktm, 11, 12.5 to 1 660, 12.5 to1 686, 12.5 to 1 720 raptors. they all had after market cams,pipes and were ported. the only two that needed race gas were the 13 and 14 to1 450s. on the dyno i gained more power on pump gas and had no detention. from the combos i have put together i would think 12.5 to 1 is a safe pump gas motor as long as you don't have a detention problem or you can blend pump and race gas to go easy on the $. the bigger the cam, the more over lap, the more compresion you bleed off.