PDA

View Full Version : sport vs. 4x4

redrabbit
01-11-2009, 05:03 PM
im thinkin about sellin my ex for a 4x4 quad. all my buddies have utility quads and i cant go across creeks or other big obsticles on my ex like they can. can yall list some pros and cons on sport vs. 4x4s. may help me make up my mind. thanks

powermadd400ex
01-11-2009, 05:08 PM
sport quads,
pros: less weight, better handling, more comfortable when modded, looks cooler.
con: not as versatile, a wee bit more maitenance.

utilitys:
pro:
stock to stock a utility is more comfortable, less maitenance.
con: slower, some are ugly imo

if you are a good enough rider you can anywhere 4x4's can with the exception of over the handle bars mud.
i go more places on my 400ex than my buddys with atric cat 650s and ranchers.

odog
01-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
sport quads,
pros: less weight, better handling, more comfortable when modded, looks cooler.
con: not as versatile, a wee bit more maitenance.

utilitys:
pro:
stock to stock a utility is more comfortable, less maitenance.
con: slower, some are ugly imo

if you are a good enough rider you can anywhere 4x4's can with the exception of over the handle bars mud.
i go more places on my 400ex than my buddys with atric cat 650s and ranchers. i agree the rider has alot to do with where there quad could go

Stoke88
01-11-2009, 06:33 PM
I've ridden with some of the meanest 4x4's and gone almost everywhere they have. You just have to learn how to ride in those conditions. It will take a few times of getting stuck but after a time or two you'll get it. I'd keep what you have. Just my .02

01-11-2009, 06:41 PM
get a 700xx and snorkel it

rodeo#11
01-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Ive rode nothing but utility's my whole life and about 4 years ago i got a sport quad and i must say in the woods you almost take a sport quad anywheres a 4X4 will go imo. just have to hit stuff a little bit faster and now how to handle the machine i say stick with the 400ex and get a little more comfortable on it. plus if you roll a utility thats like 600lbs your trying to get away from and they flip easier....

sprayedgt
01-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
get a 700xx and snorkel it

WTF!!!:rolleyes: That would have to be the gayest thing in the ATV world you could see! But I'm sure someone will molest a 700xx before long and do that.

I have gone everywhere the 4x4's go with my ex. Like it was said earlier, it just takes some skill and learning to do what a 4x4 can do. IMO a humpty dumpty 4x4 is not fun at all and takes all the fun out of riding. What's the point of having a machine that'll go everywhere without even trying? On a sport quad you gotta work at going where you want to go.

DuwBra
01-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Utility has the easy to ride factor and can pretty much go through anything or anywhere you want to. It seems like you just get on and go. But are big, heavy, slow and handle like crap.

Sport has the fun to ride factor and are fast, light and handle great and with a little work can handle even better. But it is harder to do some of the tough stuff, and they take practice to learn how to ride good. Although that makes it more fun i think.

rcatvrider
01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I have a couple family members that I ride with that own brute forces and I have put probably 20+ hours of riding time on them and the brutes are insane in a straight line but get pretty scary when cornering fast. I ride all of the trails that we ride the brutes on on my 400ex and it can do it all besides the deeper of mud pits that even the utilities have occasional trouble with.

deathcorefan2
01-11-2009, 07:30 PM
buy a scrambler 400.

two stroke.

4X4 and when modded will leave you.

lol

:devil:

redrabbit
01-11-2009, 08:06 PM
lol. yall are makin me wanna keep my ex more and more. i love that thing

sprayedgt
01-11-2009, 08:11 PM
If you get rid of it I promise you'll regret it every time you ride.

01-11-2009, 08:53 PM
I would keep my 400ex. But, there is one exception..

The renegade 800. The new ones are like 65-68hp. You can get them with the x package that have gas shocks and they generally handle better than other 4x4's.

Not to mention they give 450's a run for their money with an exhaust and such.

I can take my 400 a lot of places. But the renegades are sick as hell. Ive seen people mx them lol.

DuwBra
01-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
I have a couple family members that I ride with that own brute forces and I have put probably 20+ hours of riding time on them and the brutes are insane in a straight line but get pretty scary when cornering fast. I ride all of the trails that we ride the brutes on on my 400ex and it can do it all besides the deeper of mud pits that even the utilities have occasional trouble with.

I rode one of those crazy things to. When I hammered that throttle that son of a ***** screamed and when you get in the top of the throttle that thing starts whining like a turbo, they definitely have the power. The only thing is there is a lot of quad to go along with it.

rob_990
01-12-2009, 01:19 PM
quads=fast light fun
Utility=slow heavy boring

hypersnyper6947
01-12-2009, 02:11 PM
to me sport quads are a lot more fun

IMO sport quads are a bit more challenging to ride so you can have more fun polishing your skills, where with a utility any tard can drive one. with a sport there is more things to master like cornering, jumping, wheelies, whoop sections etc.... the list goes on and on. Personally i think it would be fun to own both one day but if i had to pick one, hands down no questions asked sport all the way.

bean2080
01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
i have both a 4x4 and a 400ex. my 4x4 is a brute force, it is not slow at all but IMO its boring and not fun even though it goes fast. i jump mine and everyyhing a little but there just not made for that. my 400ex is decent fast, fun to ride and i never get bored. i can ride my 400ex with all my other friends that have 4x4 quads, the only problem like you said is they cant go in that deep of water and they cant go in deep mud. i always just get one of my biddies to push me where i cant go though.

CJM
01-12-2009, 06:48 PM
I much prefer sports, they handle better, dont weigh a ton and so long as your decently skilled they will go where a 4x4 goes. The thing is to light to really get stuck, unlock trucks/suvs that are 2wd.

I already have a 230 quadsport which was my first real sport (I dont count the 125 and 90 I had at one point, to slow to really be anything more than a toy) and my EX. The old beaten 230 can outhandle a new brute force my friend had, the shocks are worn, the tires are shot, its basically a runner. If a 20+ year old quad can run circles of a 4x4, ill take it.

Ive ridden utilities, they just dont handle as well as I would like and can be scary on cornering or fast riding imho. However thier ability to carry stuff is very nice.

tx07400ex
01-12-2009, 08:43 PM
One of my buddies has a big bear 400 straight axle and grizzly 660 both 4x4. we went riding last friday night and i borrowed the big bear. it has 28 mud lites on it and i still got it stuck, everywhere we went that night i went on my 400 this weekend. oh and my buddy got the grizzly stuck i pulled on him it fried his winch, snapped one front axle hooked him to a truck snapped the other axle, so to me its not worth it. There are about 8 brutes that ride with us of those 8 only 1 has never broken yet and he never gets in the mud the others break axles like crazy one guy friday broke both rears one broke one rear and they were all gorilla axles and have all broken somewhere around 8 axles. 4x4s just arent reliable

redrabbit
01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
yea, i think i will keep the 400. im gettin pretty good at it and alot more comfortable on it. i never thought about how unreliable a 4x4 is. and there is so much more on them that can break, and there expensive to repair too