PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug, Change How often?

ensenadamark
01-11-2009, 04:10 PM
How often do u guys change your spark plug?

sprayedgt
01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
I do it every 4 rides when I change the oil & filter. Probably doesn't need it but while I'm working on it I might as well. And it's only $2.50 a plug anyway.

01-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by sprayedgt
I do it every 4 rides when I change the oil & filter. Probably doesn't need it but while I'm working on it I might as well. And it's only $2.50 a plug anyway.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????? thats crazy deffinately not needed

sprayedgt
01-11-2009, 07:35 PM
That's why I stated "probably not needed" in my post. That's what I do. It's a 2 min process and plugs are dirt cheap so why not??

buck440
01-11-2009, 08:21 PM
i havent changed mine in five years when it was new, your just crazy, makes as much sense as buying new tires after 4 rides and yah i know you said its probably not needed, 'which it isnt' but holly crap monster!!!! :eek2: :eek2:

sprayedgt
01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
It really doesn't matter if it's not needed or not. It's nearly free at $2.50, fast and insures you'll have a good spark. When someone else pays for my stuff or does my maintainence for me I'll let them make the decision what is and is not needed.

01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
you can go 20+ years on a spark plug

sprayedgt
01-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
you can go 20+ years on a spark plug

I totally agree with you......If you NEVER start it.
Are you just trying to get your post count over 10,000 by year's end?:rolleyes:

01-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by sprayedgt
I totally agree with you......If you NEVER start it.
Are you just trying to get your post count over 10,000 by year's end?:rolleyes:

are you f****** serious? I have seen it in person things that have been riden that whole time with the original spark plug from Honda

buck440
01-11-2009, 09:10 PM
hay guess what i looked at my 400ex and figured it needed new plastics and i looked at my rims twice in like two seconds so im gettin some new ones boy oh boy i got rocky mountain atv on speed dial beep boop beop bep boep bop boop yah order me everything for the 400ex x5 cause im going to put a new valve stem cap on today and figured it needed it. ps, your a CHODE!!!

BossHogg420
01-11-2009, 09:13 PM
yea me 2 my dad's got a 1974 Honda cb750 street bike with about 30,000 miles on the original plugs.....its kinda crazy its never had a problem with it and its still got the factory paint on all the nuts and bolts. what do u mean when some one else pays for ur things it doesn't matter spray? its still being wasteful and overly obsessive...not to bash...we all have our tics

01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by buck440
hay guess what i looked at my 400ex and figured it needed new plastics and i looked at my rims twice in like two seconds so im gettin some new ones boy oh boy i got rocky mountain atv on speed dial beep boop beop bep boep bop boop yah order me everything for the 400ex x5 cause im going to put a new valve stem cap on today and figured it needed it. ps, your a CHODE!!!

wtf lol this is why drugs are bad. I seriously have no clue what this guy is talking about besdes he needs new plastics and wheels?

BossHogg420
01-11-2009, 09:22 PM
he's making fun of spray...cause it sounds like he doesn't pay for anything and doesn't mind wasting someone else's money. i could be wrong but that's what it sounds like.

01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by BossHogg420
he's making fun of spray...cause it sounds like he doesn't pay for anything and doesn't mind wasting someone else's money. i could be wrong but that's what it sounds like.

ahh gotcha, thanks

SPDSNYPR
01-11-2009, 09:49 PM
OK - among all the bickering I didn't catch how often the plugs should be changed.

I took mine out for the first time today (about 1 year old), and it wasn't badly fouled, but it looked like it was working on trying to rust into the motor. The outside was badly rusted. Kinda wonder if it's not a good idea to change them periodically to keep them from rusting in place?

buck440
01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
what im trying to say for example. every ride you change the oil and filter, good but wasteful or new rings after a weeks ride, alright but pointles, now changing your plugs after four rides good but mother*******crazy pointless you see were im going with this foxhondarider, yah the other post was confusing but this should clear things up....i hope.:chinese:

Pipeless416
01-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by SPDSNYPR
OK - among all the bickering I didn't catch how often the plugs should be changed.

I took mine out for the first time today (about 1 year old), and it wasn't badly fouled, but it looked like it was working on trying to rust into the motor. The outside was badly rusted. Kinda wonder if it's not a good idea to change them periodically to keep them from rusting in place?

this is why sometimes i can't stand the 400ex section. anyway, i usually change plugs about once a year. not really over or under kill. as far as your rust issue, try applying anti seize to the threads and you should be set.

buck440
01-11-2009, 10:54 PM
now to get back onto subject i looked in my repair book and it said to check/replace after every 100 riding hours so if it dont look melted rusted or bridged just gas and wire brush it and pop it back in and ride on;) but not after 4 rides :p

sprayedgt
01-12-2009, 04:42 AM
I don't know why you would say that I'm spending someone else money:confused: Just because I myself do something you see as pointless doesn't make it crazy. Like stated earlier the manual says change it after 100 hrs, which if I followed the manual would be about 1 month for me. You change it out at the 1st service which is 10 hours. If you think $2.50 for a 2 min piece of maintainence is too expensive, then maybe you should find a less expensive hobby. And because you've seen it in person means it the law now I guess. I know people that run the same engine oil in cars or trucks for 20,000 miles. Does that make it right? No it doesn't. Just proves that some people don't care about what they have and are lazy. It's people like this that take their stuff out for a ride and end up breaking something or can't get it started and wonder why it happened. Like I said when YOU start paying for what I have, YOU can tell me what I should or shouldn't do.

quote:Originally posted by BossHogg420
. what do u mean when some one else pays for ur things it doesn't matter spray?

For all those that couldn't figure out what I meant... I am the one that pays for MY stuff and MY maintainence. When YOU or SOMEONE else pays for it then THEY can tell me what is or is not needed. If you need further clarification you shouldn't be driving anything with an engine in it

Chet
01-12-2009, 07:22 AM
While on the Spark Plug topic, has anyone crossed over from NGK or Denso to Autolites or Champs, do they work as good, anyone ever try an Iridium plug

buck440
01-12-2009, 10:06 AM
its true, it his quad he can do what ever he wants and i guess if i did somthing nobody agreed with thats there problem and they should fu**off, sorry about this

Pipeless416
01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
man, grow up and take this into PMs. bunch of frickin little babies here. Chet- im curious about denso plugs too. i have heard from many people not to run autolites in anything, however, we ran them in our old ford van with no ill effects.

Chet
01-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
man, grow up and take this into PMs. bunch of frickin little babies here. Chet- im curious about denso plugs too. i have heard from many people not to run autolites in anything, however, we ran them in our old ford van with no ill effects.

Hi Mike

I took the plug out of my new leftover 07 just yesterday and it was a Denso, hmm

01-12-2009, 11:18 AM
what im trying to say for example. every ride you change the oil and filter, good but wasteful or new rings after a weeks ride, alright but pointles, now changing your plugs after four rides good but mother*******crazy pointless you see were im going with this foxhondarider, yah the other post was confusing but this should clear things up....i hope.:chinese:

alrighty yeah spark plugs go a long time though no need to change them unless you are jetted poorly or burning oil.

rob_990
01-12-2009, 01:43 PM
just change it whenever it starts getting hard to start

ensenadamark
01-12-2009, 03:35 PM
thanks to those of you who don't ride the short bus to school with your moto helmet on.

kilgoja
01-12-2009, 08:27 PM
why are people on every forum like "super maintenance" guys?...cars,motorcycles,atvs, whatever....over maintenizing...lol....change ur spark plug when ur quad doesn't crank...simple as that....oh wait...just turn the gas on first see if that works :)...i'm serious...people on here changing things out way too early...i mean it's a honda...it's not gonna blow up

tri5ron
01-12-2009, 09:12 PM
not to hijack the thread,
but can anyone tell me how often to rotate the air in my tires?

should it go front to rear/ rear to front,
or should it go criss-cross?

and do I need to be concerned with the direction its turning?

Pipeless416
01-12-2009, 10:10 PM
ron- this air rotation is recommended for wicked spinnydodad wheel stands.

tri5ron
01-12-2009, 10:44 PM
:D

justin1022
01-12-2009, 10:45 PM

this guys defenetly native

buck440
01-13-2009, 11:39 AM
hay man on page 2 i explaned what i ment by that, it is in simplified form :rolleyes:

Exrider434
01-13-2009, 12:42 PM
who the hell cares how often he changes the plugs and keeps up on his maintenance, i guess hell be the one laughing later on when your pos is broken down and hes out ridin havin a great time.

Regardless if its useless to change them that often, like he said they cost near nothing, why not change em just to keeep it running good.

buck440
01-13-2009, 03:09 PM
yo mama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chinese:

kilgoja
01-13-2009, 03:18 PM
i change my oil everytime i turn my atv off....which really sux on weekend rides cuz i have to change it like 10 times...dangit..lol

buck440
01-13-2009, 06:18 PM
hay man i hear yuh i buy a new 400ex every time i ride just to be shure:macho