PDA

View Full Version : 50 wont stay running

mcwilly
01-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Started up fine. Took it up and down the street to warm it up. Was going to take the kid to do some testing on it. As I was riding it, it just shut down. Choked it, and cranked it for a while and it started up again. Turned off the choke. Rode about 100 yards and died again. Again, took forever to start back up. Eventually started and I let it idle for a couple of minutes w/ the choke on. Then turned the choke off and it continued to idle. Took off again...died again after about 100 yards. Did this whole routine about 5 times. I'm starting to loose battery power so I rolled it back on the trailer and took it home. Gas is on. Had the trouble w/ the gas cap on and off. Same problem w/ the gas on reserve too. Any ideas before I tear into this thing?

jread14
01-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Ryan,

Call me... It sounds like you have messed up your float bowl levels when you changed out your pilot jet. The bowl can get somewhat hung up on the float when you try and pull it off and this will happen.

SMS
01-11-2009, 04:43 PM
hi guys ya sounds like you not getting enough gas in the float bowl and the bike is starving for fuel. Talk to you later this week jason

coffing918
01-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by mcwilly
Started up fine. Took it up and down the street to warm it up. Was going to take the kid to do some testing on it. As I was riding it, it just shut down. Choked it, and cranked it for a while and it started up again. Turned off the choke. Rode about 100 yards and died again. Again, took forever to start back up. Eventually started and I let it idle for a couple of minutes w/ the choke on. Then turned the choke off and it continued to idle. Took off again...died again after about 100 yards. Did this whole routine about 5 times. I'm starting to loose battery power so I rolled it back on the trailer and took it home. Gas is on. Had the trouble w/ the gas cap on and off. Same problem w/ the gas on reserve too. Any ideas before I tear into this thing?

i had a similar proplem and it was the STOCK KILL SWITCH , the stock ones are no good, everyone thought jetting carb problems and someone told me about there same problem i disconected it and low and behold that was the problem the little button inside was fluttering making it go for a couple feet than it just shut off try it it can hurt.

mcwilly
01-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, I made sure gas was flowing to the carb and it was. While I was doing that, I noticed the throttle cable had loosened at the carb and had about 1/4" gap. Got that straightened out and thought maybe the carb got some dirt in it so I cleaned the carb and jets. Went to start it and it did nothing. Didn’t even turn over. I had the front plastics off so the key wiring was hanging off to the side of the bike. My son just happened to grab the key part of the ignition at the time I was trying to start it and it turned over. Turns out the wiring harness from the key had a bad connection. It wouldn’t start or stay running because of the loose connection. You could kill the motor just by touching or moving the wiring harness.

mcwilly
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by coffing918
i had a similar proplem and it was the STOCK KILL SWITCH , the stock ones are no good, everyone thought jetting carb problems and someone told me about there same problem i disconected it and low and behold that was the problem the little button inside was fluttering making it go for a couple feet than it just shut off try it it can hurt.

Had the same problem over the Summer. We're using the Pro Armor kill switch now.