PDA

View Full Version : 400ex swing arm skid plate

heathen611
01-11-2009, 10:24 AM
does anyone have any suggestions on the most durable swing arm skid plate that offers the highest clearence?

hornetgod13
01-11-2009, 11:15 AM
No matter which swing arm skid plate you choose, you'll loose some ground clearnace. Larger rear tires will help if you XC ride.

I run a Cobra USA skidplate myself. It needs to be a 1/4 thick to really provide maximum protection. Search the body forum for the word skidplate and you find a lot of threads with pictures.

rcatvrider
01-11-2009, 11:24 AM
When I upgrade my skidplate, I will surely go with the durablue hammerforce. It's durable, thick plastic so you don't have to worry about it bending. Even the thickest aluminum skidplates bend when you hit a rock hard enough, and will hit your rotor or sprocket. Once bent back they're never as strong again. That is not a worry with plastic.

01-11-2009, 11:56 AM
PRM makes the best skidplates to my knowledge. They have hardly any welds at all making them stronger being 1 piece. I have the .250 and I can see a bit chewed away but no way am I bending this. It has been slammed by stumps and rocks a few times I checked to see if it snapped the bolts out of my swingarm i've hit things that hard and nope still perfectly fine, no bends just some scrapes. I actually hit a log so hard it stopped the quad dead and popped the back end up as I flew forward lol Got off shook it off, checked out looking for what I just broke and nothing. No cracks, no bends and everything was fine. For the swingarm deffinately get a .250 thick if your getting a skid plate. For the engine go thin even though my .250 engine skid only weighs like 5lbs or something. They work good for water crossing thats for sure. 400ex just 4th gear hit th water and you can just skim across its really fun unless you turn a little and you think your going to die.

heathen611
01-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the help. Ill probably put razr II's all the way around......22's on the back and 23's on the front. Just wanted to get the max clearence out of a swing arm plate after the tire change.

rcatvrider
01-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
PRM makes the best skidplates to my knowledge. They have hardly any welds at all making them stronger being 1 piece. I have the .250 and I can see a bit chewed away but no way am I bending this. It has been slammed by stumps and rocks a few times I checked to see if it snapped the bolts out of my swingarm i've hit things that hard and nope still perfectly fine, no bends just some scrapes. I actually hit a log so hard it stopped the quad dead and popped the back end up as I flew forward lol Got off shook it off, checked out looking for what I just broke and nothing. No cracks, no bends and everything was fine. For the swingarm deffinately get a .250 thick if your getting a skid plate. For the engine go thin even though my .250 engine skid only weighs like 5lbs or something. They work good for water crossing thats for sure. 400ex just 4th gear hit th water and you can just skim across its really fun unless you turn a little and you think your going to die. It's really rocky in new england and I know of a couple riders who have bent .25 skid plates up until then were grazing the sprocket and rotor.

sprayedgt
01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
I had a 1/4" thick pro armor skid plate and chewed holes in it in less than 6 months!! I put a Bullet Line plate in and so far it's held up for 3 months. A ton more reinforcing in the critical areas then the pro armor had. I'm going with 22" rears as soon as I finish my 426 project to get a little bit more clearance.

bigredisb
01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Don't buy a DG Baja. Its a real heap. They dont fit and sacrifice all of your ground clearance. After my first long trail ride in rocks I burned a hole right through mine. I am going to look at a armadillo soon.