PDA

View Full Version : Carb pours out gas as soon as gas is turned on... Help!?

Evader53
01-11-2009, 09:31 AM
I have a 2000 warrior and haven't run it in approx. 5 weeks. Today I went to start it up and as soon as I turn the gas on, gas goes pouring out of the overflow tubes on the carb. I tried heating up the carbs with a blowdryer, but still had no luck.

I am able to start the quad when the gas is off (apparently just enough gas gets through the line to allow it to idle), but as soon as I turn the gas on, the engine sputters then dies, and gas goes pouring out of the carb.

Does anyone know what the problem may be and how to fix it!?

Thanks

cmashburn
01-11-2009, 04:29 PM
mine did that the float could be getting stuck i would take off the carb take it apart and clean it real good thats what i did hadnt had a problem since then dying part could be from a dirty carb and the gas may not be going through the carb i would just take it apart and clean it also it only takes a few weeks and the gas may go bad i would drain the gas as well and put fresh if your storing it with gas put some sta-bil in it

Evader53
01-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Update:

Alright, I cleaned out the carbs (even though the bowl and floats were spotless with no gunk what-so-ever), and the floats were moving perfectly with absolutely no binding.

After cleaning I put everything back together and for the first 30 seconds or so, no gas leaked from the carbs but then it all happened again.

Are there any other things I should do!? I really don't have the $200 that my dealership wants to do this job

Also, I couldnt get the pin that holds the floats on to come out (even hitting on it with a nail/hammer it wouldn't budge)... So I was impatient and cleaned as much as I could anyway and put it all back together. Any tips on how to get that stupid pin out?

cmashburn
01-13-2009, 05:41 PM
i didnt take that out i just took jets out and the white side cap deal out removed everything i could that i new i could put back in and just sprayed the heck out of it with carb cleaner let it sit for a while and wiped it oh and check that screw on the bottom of the bowl not the air/fuel screw but it should be a philips take that out clean up there and replace other than that i wouldnt know another option is take it in a shop and have then clean it they can soak it in cleaner and it will get what you cant get that should be around 50 bucks other than that i would have know clue man good luck hope you get it running rite when you do have a blast riding

ifixtheyride
01-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Mine did the same thing it was apart for awhile why I worked on the head when I put it back together it flowed out the carb overflows. I took it apart and found nothing as well. However mine ran so I just rode it and shut fuel off when I was done but after a few rides it stopped doing it. My opinion is the float is not sealing the rubber is damaged or hard cause its freaking cold here in Pennsylvania but it did stop. The pin for the float does have a larger head on one side so it can only come out one way you may have to come up with a way to press it out perhaps in a vice.

keglassg
01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
your float might have a hole it and be full of gas, if thats the case, get a new float, worse case scenario, get a new carb on ebay dude, they arent that expensive, or even upgrade to the kfx400 carb, i did it on mine, no problem whatsoever.

ifixtheyride
01-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Do you use the KFX jetting when swapping? I have a warrior and a KFX and I installed an FCR carb on the KFX so I have a carb laying around. Before I removed the KFX carb I did change the main jet in it for a pipe and open air box.

keglassg
01-15-2009, 08:08 AM
just start with what its got in it, its a good reference point, my warrior is built so i actually had to jet the bsr carb up a little to get it right for my warrior, to make the swap easier, heres what you need

intake manifold/boot for a raptor 350
throttle and cable assembly from a kfx
http://www.advantagecyclelc.com/showproduct.php?id=122&prodnext=0&searchvalue=&nbrProds=15&catId=16#prod and this little dilly here

let me know if you have any questions, im more than happy to help you out :)

ifixtheyride
01-16-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm a bit stumped on my warrior. I did open my air box lid and changed the main jet at same time. This thing starts really hard it cranks like a dead battery but its not dead. It is almost like timing is off. When I get it started it runs ok but I did notice yesterday that the header pipe is cherry red and it was 0 degrees outside. While idleing it sounds as if there is a small explosion other then the one you want going on inside the motor kinda surges. If the thing glows at idle is it lean? Could it glow from a rich condition as well? The head was just redone along with piston and rings and I set the valves so I know they are right. Can jetting actually contribute to the hard turnover? This is driving me nuts and I hate to take it somewhere. I'm going to throw the KFX carb on this weekend I think to see what the response is.

keglassg
01-16-2009, 02:39 PM
if that header pipe is glowing ill bet it jumped time dude, thats reallllllllllllly hot, if would run hot if it were lean, but it wouldnt get hot enough to burn the header red especially if you jetted it up, id about gaurntee its out of time, that wouldnt make your carn pour gas though obviously, i think you may want to retime it, and check the cam gear and chain really carefully for wear or broken teeth and make sure the chain isnt loose.

ifixtheyride
01-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks, I agree on timing. I did just replace the chain and the sprockets look ok. When you rotate the motor and bring it back to dead center the timing marks are close it seamed like the perfect mark for timing when both cam gear and crank were aligned the chain wanted to be inbetween a tooth. Which way would you go advance or retard? By the way I do have a Hot cam installed and it did run ok before. My problem started awhile ago when the exhaust valve broke. I had it fixed and have been fighting it since never seamed to get it right after that.

keglassg
01-16-2009, 05:40 PM
that ones a little over my head, check out another site that i use, yfm350.proboards.com maybe someone there will have another idea about that