PDA

View Full Version : Carb pouring out gas... help!?

Evader53
01-11-2009, 09:30 AM
I have a 2000 warrior and haven't run it in approx. 5 weeks. Today I went to start it up and as soon as I turn the gas on, gas goes pouring out of the overflow tubes on the carb. I tried heating up the carbs with a blowdryer, but still had no luck.

I am able to start the quad when the gas is off (apparently just enough gas gets through the line to allow it to idle), but as soon as I turn the gas on, the engine sputters then dies, and gas goes pouring out of the carb.

Does anyone know what the problem may be and how to fix it!?

Thanks

Pappy
01-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Sounds like the float is sticking. You will probably need to remove the float bowl and clean it and the float well, looking for any debris or anything that would be keeping the float from moving freely.

But first, try taping on the float bowl with a wrench and see if that doesnt free it up

wilkin250r
01-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Yeppers, stuck floats.

Your floats are responsible for shutting off the flow of fuel when your carb is full. When the fuel level rises in your carb, your floats will "float" (hence the name) and they're attached to small needle valve that closes off the fuel passage from your tank.

If the problem just developed out of nowhere, I would say that you have dirt or debris stuck in your needle valve and it won't close. But since your quad sat for several weeks without starting, I would say your floats are stuck and won't rise.

Like Pappy said, you can try to tap the side of the float bowl, sometime the jarring can loosen the floats. But if that doesn't work, you'll have to take your carb apart.

Evader53
01-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Alright, I cleaned out the carbs (even though the bowl and floats were spotless with no gunk what-so-ever), and the floats were moving perfectly with absolutely no binding.

After cleaning I put everything back together and for the first 30 seconds or so, no gas leaked from the carbs but then it all happened again.

Are there any other things I should do!? I really don't have the $200 that my dealership wants to do this job.

Also, I couldnt get the pin that holds the floats on to come out (even hitting on it with a nail/hammer it wouldn't budge)... So I was impatient and cleaned as much as I could anyway and put it all back together. Any tips on how to get that stupid pin out?

Pipeless416
01-23-2009, 12:57 PM
after the quad sat, some garbage in the gas most likely found its way into the seat for the needle valve. i had this happen to me on a 400ex last year and it basically ruined a trip to little sahara.. wouldn't stop leaking for the entire week.. anyway, use carb cleaner or compressed air to spray out the gas inlet that goes from the fuel hose into the carb and out the needle valve. it might actually take a few times, as the flow of gas can put more junk in there. mine did the same thing before.. i'd clean it out and it would be fine for a minute, then it would start pouring gas again. also, dump the gas out of your tank and clean it out. get some new gas and the problem should be solved.