PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket cdi box

pitkendall
01-10-2009, 11:10 PM
i was just wanting to see what u guys think is the best cdi box for the 400ex mine already has one but aparently there is a problem with the way it was made to were it wont fire if the battery is low and he even said that u can almost never get it to fire in the winter time so im going to get a new one that does not have this issue thanks

buster024
01-10-2009, 11:55 PM
I have a Big Gun rev box, and can only speak from experience that I've never had a problem with cold starts with mine. I ride in very cold weather in the winter, and I've never had a starting issue.
There are definitely better cdi boxes (plus many opinions about their value) out on the market though that are programmable etc. For the average Joe Sixpack, I can't help but think those are way overkill, and the model from BG works just fine. I personally noticed a top end gain on my bike, and for nothing else, I like being able to start in reverse. For those worried about cold starts, just zip tie the stock one to the new aftermarket box, and you won't ever have to worry about it.

md416
01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Ive had a White Brothers rev box on my quad for over 2 years and have not had any problems with cold starts.

2muchquad
01-11-2009, 06:14 PM
this has been beat to death

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=376339

pitkendall
01-11-2009, 07:19 PM
well i talked to the people that made my box (they are a local race shop and site sponsor here) and they told me that the first desighn boxs that my bike has would never start off by itself in the winter but once u get it started it would start the rest of the day just fine he said its actualy a box that is programed for a kick start bike and that was the flaw he said that theres white bros and 1 other company all used the same box at first till this problem was discovered now he makes a new box that solves that problem

01-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by pitkendall
well i talked to the people that made my box (they are a local race shop and site sponsor here) and they told me that the first desighn boxs that my bike has would never start off by itself in the winter but once u get it started it would start the rest of the day just fine he said its actualy a box that is programed for a kick start bike and that was the flaw he said that theres white bros and 1 other company all used the same box at first till this problem was discovered now he makes a new box that solves that problem

that is why i got rid of my wb box...i'll stick with stock, the box don't really make that much of a difference since i am not at the rev limit all that much anyway...

big gun was the other company

pitkendall
01-12-2009, 08:03 AM
yea well i took someones advise on here and bought a stock box that im gonna zip tie to the outher box and use it to warm the bike up then switch em good ol ebay 10 bucks lol

01-12-2009, 08:33 AM
that seemed like too much of a hassle to me for little gain...

Wheelie
01-12-2009, 08:46 AM
I had one for a short while and removed it. It would occasionally make the engine turn over hard (too much timing), and it would kick back against the starter upon startup and shutoff from time to time. After reading about some people having one-way clutch problems after a CDI install I decided to remove it. The very small power increase wasn't worth the potential headache.