PDA

View Full Version : Trx450er or outlaw 525?

hoppyflier
01-10-2009, 08:41 PM
I've been out of riding for many years. I was a 250r rider/racer and a diehard Honda man. I've been looking at late model quads. I am torn between a trx450er and an Outlaw 525 with the KTM engine. I will be trail riding in Michigan and West Virginia. I am looking for a quad that has great performance, handling and durability. What do you think, what would you recommend?

pro-rider46
01-10-2009, 09:45 PM
with out question. i would pick honda

BlaineKaiser450
01-10-2009, 10:18 PM
honda. the only time the outlaw would be better is ground clearance

spencer_shinn
01-11-2009, 02:03 AM
HONDA!

my buddy had one of the Outlaw 525s....HATED IT!
he had it for about..2 weeks then he sold it and bought a YFZ450...

stoopidbot
01-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Asking the guys in a Honda forum is going to give you a biased opinion. Go ask in a Polaris forum and you will get the opposite.

You really need to sit on both rides and see how they feel. Stock for Stock the 525 will have better acceleration and the Fox Shocks on the Outlaw will out preform the Showas on the Honda. Other than that they will be pretty even.

hoppyflier
01-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys for the response. I did pose the same question in the Polaris section to get a balance of opinion. I get it that we all feel strongly about a certain mfg. However it would be great to hear why you feel one brand is better than another or what the differences are

stoopidbot
01-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by hoppyflier
Thanks guys for the response. I did pose the same question in the Polaris section to get a balance of opinion. I get it that we all feel strongly about a certain mfg. However it would be great to hear why you feel one brand is better than another or what the differences are My dad taught me to ride on an old ATC110 back in the early 80s. I then moved to a CR80 then 125 the I went to Suzuki for a short time and then back to Honda for the CR500!!! I bought my first quad a few years ago and why not stay with the brand that has never let me down. Honda has proven it's self to me over the last 20+ years. I actually checked out all the 450s on the market (at the time) and the TRX felt the most comfortable to me and I think it is the best looking.
How can you deny this pretty face?
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/kristinkoron/DSCN2849.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/kristinkoron/DSCN2850.jpg

GIXXER1KR
01-11-2009, 11:32 AM
If i was in the market now as much as i love my Honda id buy something with FI and definately not a ER..I wish i bought a kicker.I hope next year honda will have EFI..I like the new KTM but i think all the companies are producing really nice high quality atv.This sport is really opening the eyes to the manufacturers.I dont really think there is a king of the throne anymore.So dont ask that question in here because you will unfortunately get too many biased opinions.

WilRideAnything
01-11-2009, 02:24 PM
If I was going to buy a new quad it wouldn't be a Honda or KTM. The ERs are junk. The KTM has way to many issues also. I would but the new YFZ450R. I love my 04 450R, but if I was in the market for another one it would be a Yamaha.

stoopidbot
01-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by WilRideAnything
If I was going to buy a new quad it wouldn't be a Honda or KTM. The ERs are junk. The KTM has way to many issues also. I would but the new YFZ450R. I love my 04 450R, but if I was in the market for another one it would be a Yamaha. What makes the ER junk?

BlaineKaiser450
01-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by stoopidbot
What makes the ER junk? the starters have lots of problems. I have no expierience with ERs though so im not sure what the problems are

WilRideAnything
01-11-2009, 04:44 PM
They don't start well. I have a friend that has 2 of them and he has more issues then my 04. He wishes he had bought Yamahas.

I have a lot of friends that own both Yamaha and Honda. The ones that own Yamahas have no issues like the Hondas. They never adjust their valves. The Hondas must be checked and adjusted quit often or they are a b!tch to start and idle like crap. Don't get me wrong I'm a Honda guy, but I call um like I see um.

stoopidbot
01-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by WilRideAnything
They don't start well. I have a friend that has 2 of them and he has more issues then my 04. He wishes he had bought Yamahas.

I have a lot of friends that own both Yamaha and Honda. The ones that own Yamahas have no issues like the Hondas. They never adjust their valves. The Hondas must be checked and adjusted quit often or they are a b!tch to start and idle like crap. Don't get me wrong I'm a Honda guy, but I call um like I see um. I was just wondering why you thought that. I must have gotten extremely lucky or I have the touch. Mine fires up really easy, except in extreme cold.

KEVIN300A
01-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I have ridden both and would def go honda on this... my boy bought a brand new 525 and it is def quick and fast.... VERY TIPPY and uncomfortable to me... but I also own a honda 450.