PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Change My Spark Plug In My '00 400 EX

DIXON40
01-10-2009, 07:15 PM
How do I change my spark plug in my 2000 400 EX? I've taken my gas tank off trying to get to it, but i still cant get anyting on it to take it out... Anyone help me out?

buck440
01-10-2009, 07:20 PM
first of all you dont need to take anything off and they make special sockets that fit the spark plug, prolly got one at any local parts store :scary:

racerdan24
01-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Didnt get the spark plug socket with a tool kit with the quad??? If not, buck is right...local honda guy will have them for about 5 bucks and saves endless swearing

deathcorefan2
01-11-2009, 11:51 AM
i got a spark plug socket from the local dealership..it was like 7 bucks.

01-11-2009, 11:59 AM
it is a lot easier to take off the gas tank and that to get to the spark plug especially if you use a long socket extension. Plus if the engine is hot to reach between and over the headers like that could mean 3rd degree burns

Snipe
01-11-2009, 12:44 PM
If the engine is hot just save the time and just wait for it to cool instead of stripping the bike.

Spark plug socket with an extension and ratchet will work or the spark plug tool you buy for anything such as chain saws or what have you will work.

Just reach in and do it all from the front.

01-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
If the engine is hot just save the time and just wait for it to cool instead of stripping the bike.

stripping the quad is deffinatly faster than waiting for it to cool. Stripping the quad plastics and tank is maybe 5 minutes

brian76708
01-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
stripping the quad is deffinatly faster than waiting for it to cool. Stripping the quad plastics and tank is maybe 5 minutes

putting on gloves and not stripping it down is even quicker!!

01-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
putting on gloves and not stripping it down is even quicker!!

hot headers burn right through gloves, i know because it happen

leasureryan
01-11-2009, 03:23 PM
god...I would hate to not be mechanicly inclined.

brokenmike
01-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Put on leather gloves. I do it all the time and I dont get burnt

rob_990
01-11-2009, 03:53 PM
make sure you get a bottle of compressed air and blow out any dirt around the plug.

brian76708
01-11-2009, 04:24 PM
hot headers burn right through gloves, i know because it happen

its not that hard to not touch the headers when changing the spark plug.

01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
its not that hard to not touch the headers when changing the spark plug.

alright i'll race my quad around and have you change the spark plug with the plastics and tank on there and you cant touch the headers. I want to see this.

400ex28
01-11-2009, 06:35 PM
You gotta be kidding me if you pull everything off just to change or pull out the spark plug. :ermm:

01-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
You gotta be kidding me if you pull everything off just to change or pull out the spark plug. :ermm:

what do you mean everything? plastics and gas tank simple 5 minute task. I dont see how when the headers are burning hot and so is the motor you could reach in there and not touch anything

400ex28
01-11-2009, 07:47 PM
what do you mean everything? plastics and gas tank simple 5 minute task. I dont see how when the headers are burning hot and so is the motor you could reach in there and not touch anything

Never mind, your just retarded anyways. I'm not going to argue about it.

01-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
Never mind, your just retarded anyways. Not going to argue about it.

If I was I would be happy about everything. No one is happier than someone like that.

brian76708
01-11-2009, 07:54 PM
alright i'll race my quad around and have you change the spark plug with the plastics and tank on there and you cant touch the headers. I want to see this.

yea i do it all the time just put gloves on and there is no problems.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
01-11-2009, 07:56 PM
If I was I would be happy about everything. No one is happier than someone like that.

You are retarded. You get so happy about GT Thunder rebuilds that you wet your pants. ( GT Thunder rebuilds are the best OMGZ) No one takes off a spark plug like you do, it's very simple to do and you don't need to remove the plastics or gas tank. Stop trying to argue, you have 3 to 4 people telling you that your mentally challenges, just stop.

01-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by LeGaCyGiAnT124
You are retarded. You get so happy about GT Thunder rebuilds that you wet your pants. ( GT Thunder rebuilds are the best OMGZ) No one takes off a spark plug like you do, it's very simple to do and you don't need to remove the plastics or gas tank. Stop trying to argue, you have 3 to 4 people telling you that your mentally challenges, just stop.

I dont have GTT rebuilds lol

sprayedgt
01-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Since it's your first time, take your time and do whatever you feel is the best way to accomplish it. If you feel the need to strip the entire quad down to the frame to change the plug go ahead and do it. Some people have done it 10 million times and could do it in their sleep. Everyone was trying to figure out the best way to do a particular maintainence task at one time or another. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US were ATV maintainence virgins at one time.

400ex28
01-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah i always used the Honda spark plug wrench to get mine in and out. simple and easy.

racerdan24
01-11-2009, 09:48 PM
hey get on this site and get the Ove Glove.....No more burnt hands!

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/ove_glove.html

LOL...DONE!!!!

01-12-2009, 07:15 AM
i have changed the plug with hot motor/headers a few times...it can be done...

sc400ex_rider
01-12-2009, 08:18 AM
well i hate to get in the middle of a pi$$in contest. but i was told you are not suppose to pull or replace plugs on a hot engine with aluminum heads. because you run a higher chance of pulling the threads out or stripping them. when aluminum is hot its in a softer state. dam im a genius. there's a reason used 400ex heads go for $200.00 on ebay, strong demand!!! let the flaming begin :devil: :devil:

now back to the prob you really need the factory spark plug tool to get in there. there is very little clearance. they do this on purpose so you haft to have or buy the special tool. you will def need a thin wall socket. if yours dont fit, i read on here you can grind down the outside of the socket to make it thinner to get in there.

01-12-2009, 08:30 AM
i agree, but there are rare cases where it is not an option...my situation happened due to user error...after a carb cleaning, i had the main jet back out during a ride...i pulled the plug to put in a new one...to see if that helped...

DuwBra
01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
I didnt get to ride one day because I couldnt get my spark plug out with the tools I had, everything wouldnt fit. And I didnt have a spark plug wrench and it made things hard. That was the only time I had to take the plastic and gas tank off to go over top of it and wiggle a socket down in there that didnt really fit. Other than that no need to take everything off if you got the right tools.

brothers
04-10-2009, 12:37 PM
not to get off topic but i cannot find any place where i live at that sells the socket. any help would be appreciated and takin the gas tank off is alot of work to change a plug unless your changing the tank 2.

Adrian
04-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by brothers
not to get off topic but i cannot find any place where i live at that sells the socket. any help would be appreciated and takin the gas tank off is alot of work to change a plug unless your changing the tank 2.

Hey crazy I have an extra socket for you and no you dont need to remove the tank!

brothers
04-14-2009, 06:37 AM
damn a lil to late. my plug socket came in last night...22 f**king dollars!!

CJM
04-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by brothers
damn a lil to late. my plug socket came in last night...22 f**king dollars!!

I went to sears, bought the proper size and took a hand grinder to it and 5 mins later i had a working socket that fit..

texasman20
09-18-2009, 11:17 AM
you dont need to go about grinding sockets down just run up to a pawn shop and buy the oldest looking 18mm socket u see. Cost me 25 cents.

aDviSol2y
09-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Are you F*****ing serious????? All this Bull Sh*t to change a f*****ing spark plug?!?!? People, its a spark plug. They guy had a simple question. answer the question and move on. 3 pages of responses and most of them about how you are more retarded than him.

TRXRacer1
09-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
Are you F*****ing serious????? All this Bull Sh*t to change a f*****ing spark plug?!?!? People, its a spark plug. They guy had a simple question. answer the question and move on. 3 pages of responses and most of them about how you are more retarded than him. And your post is any different? :rolleyes:

rdstoner
09-19-2009, 01:22 AM
i saw on here awhile back that a 18mm socket from advance auto parts works so i bought one and sure as **** it did and it works a hell of alot better than the one that came with my quad.

CJM
09-19-2009, 08:54 AM
2 dollar 18mm socket at sears and a whole 5 mins with a grinder made it thin enough to fit for me.

mcgrath
09-19-2009, 07:23 PM
heh dixon, just make sure before you pull the plug you clean any dirt out that is packed aroung it, so it doesn't fall in the cylinder when you pull the plug. Ive been working on sleds and quads for years and I still pull my tank off because that way I know all the dirt is out from around the plug. You really dont want that dirt getting in there. By the way its easiest to use the tool from the tool kit.( also available from your dealer for about 5 bucks.)

IcutMetl
09-20-2009, 10:19 AM
I used both a regular socket and the cheapie spark plug tool I got from the dealer. Both worked just fine. Just take your time and make sure the new plug goes in smoothly.

I can't understand why you would ever want to or have to remove any plastics to get to it, but hey...if you like extra steps, have at it. I'm not sure why you would have to do it when the engine is hot, but it is possible to do it w/o burning yourself...just don't touch the hot parts- if you're engine is fouling plugs so much that you have to change them in a hurry when the engine is hot, or it gets SO damn hot that it burns thru a leather glove...something else is happening that needs tending to.

BamBam730
09-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Rockymountainatv.com
Part# 1015190002

grovesbm
09-29-2009, 08:40 AM
i change the sparkplug when the engine is cold.......my brother changes it when its warm.....take yer brother who don't have a quad.......changing it hot is not a good idea unless yer in the middle of nowhere by yourself:p

Bill Martin
09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
I used both a regular socket and the cheapie spark plug tool I got from the dealer. Both worked just fine. Just take your time and make sure the new plug goes in smoothly.

I can't understand why you would ever want to or have to remove any plastics to get to it, but hey...if you like extra steps, have at it. I'm not sure why you would have to do it when the engine is hot, but it is possible to do it w/o burning yourself...just don't touch the hot parts- if you're engine is fouling plugs so much that you have to change them in a hurry when the engine is hot, or it gets SO damn hot that it burns thru a leather glove...something else is happening that needs tending to.

I agree if you need to change the plug that much you need to dig deeper and find out why it's fouling plugs. I only change my plug once a year and mine runs fine. Once you get your jetting right you should not have to replace the plug very often.

Keep looking.