PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy another one??

GE4x4
01-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Those with 08's DS450 somehow got there's stolen or totalled it somehow or just like haveing a new quad every year, would you buy another DS 450?

ds450racer
01-10-2009, 12:38 PM
ive just bought 2

ProspectorJim
01-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I'd buy one of the x mx's instead of the regular one, but yes I would. I love these things. I just don't like people going "what is a can-am? is that some kind of chinese bike?":rolleyes: Yes I've heard that from more than one person.

maconu
01-10-2009, 02:12 PM
I would absolutely by the mx version if I was going to get another quad.... In fact I'm trying to talk my Wife into getting one for her to ride....

crixal
01-10-2009, 02:24 PM
ya, i would buy another one. i really enjoy mine so far. the only other quad that interest me right now is the new yfz450r.

dbkbushwacker
01-10-2009, 05:13 PM
I got a 08 and I will buy 09mx when work picks up. I turn the 08 in to a drag bike.

outtagas
01-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I bought an 09 DS450 X MX and I might consider another if I hadn't had the following issues...

THE FRAME IS TWISTED - YES -DEFECTIVE, ITS DOESN'T STEER STRAIGHT, BLEW A FRONT AND REAR SHOCK FIRST WEEKEND OUT, THE TIRES DIFFERENT DIAMETERS IN THE REAR, THE FRAME IS DEFECTIVE AND TWISTED, THE TIE RODS ARE LOOSE, THE CLUTCH IS SH*T, THEY PROMISED A TETHER THAT WAS MYSTERIOUSLY ABSENT, hey how about THE FLYWHEEL BOLT ISSUE AND THE FRAME MOUNTS, did I mention that the FRAME IS NOT SQUARE and most of all BRP DOES NOT CARE IN THE LEAST.

I'm sooooo happy with my DS450 x mx I was at a Yamaha dealer today getting a price on a 450r.

I wish it would get stolen. Oh if I could be so lucky.

bwkcobra03
01-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I think I am going to get the 09 x mx for me and give my 08 x to my wife in the spring.

ProspectorJim
01-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by outtagas
I bought an 09 DS450 X MX and I might consider another if I hadn't had the following issues...

THE FRAME IS TWISTED - YES -DEFECTIVE, ITS DOESN'T STEER STRAIGHT, BLEW A FRONT AND REAR SHOCK FIRST WEEKEND OUT, THE TIRES DIFFERENT DIAMETERS IN THE REAR, THE TIE RODS ARE LOOSE, THE CLUTCH IS SH*T, THEY PROMISED A TETHER THAT WAS MYSTERIOUSLY ABSENT, hey how about THE FLYWHEEL BOLT ISSUE AND THE FRAME MOUNTS, and most of all BRP DOES NOT CARE IN THE LEAST.

I'm sooooo happy with my DS450 x mx I was at a Yamaha dealer today getting a price on a 450r.

the clutch is fixed on the 09 and the fly wheel and frame mount issue is on the 08's. The tether was not included because it didn't work, same reason they recalled the ds90x's.Also shocks blowing out and week frames are definately not a common reported occurance, sounds like you may have gotten a lemon.

coryatver
01-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim

the clutch is fixed on the 09
no it is the same

and the fly wheel and frame mount issue is on the 08's.
he just said his is an 09

The tether was not included because it didn't work, same reason they recalled the ds90x's.
can am doesn't know how to make a tether kill switch:huh

Good luck if you think honda will care more than BRP...
He said YAMAHA dealer he is talking about the yfz450r

ProspectorJim
01-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by coryatver

lol I was wondering why a yamaha dealer would sell hondas. I wish they should've used some other letter at the end.

outtagas
01-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Yes a Lemon :ermm:

hotshotgoal30
01-11-2009, 12:41 AM

THE FRAME IS TWISTED - YES -DEFECTIVE, ITS DOESN'T STEER STRAIGHT, BLEW A FRONT AND REAR SHOCK FIRST WEEKEND OUT, THE TIRES DIFFERENT DIAMETERS IN THE REAR, THE FRAME IS DEFECTIVE AND TWISTED, THE TIE RODS ARE LOOSE, THE CLUTCH IS SH*T, THEY PROMISED A TETHER THAT WAS MYSTERIOUSLY ABSENT, hey how about THE FLYWHEEL BOLT ISSUE AND THE FRAME MOUNTS, did I mention that the FRAME IS NOT SQUARE and most of all BRP DOES NOT CARE IN THE LEAST.

hey man im sorry you had these problems. honestly though i think everyone expects the world from these machines and as soon as something is wrong its like oh they are junk. well everyone has to remember a few key factors here. 1) this is a completly new bike from the ground up. they are still getting the kinks out of them. they came out a few years ago. things happen to every new producton bike in the first few years. 2) all machines have problems. i have a buddy ho blew up his yfz twice and its a 2007. i have a buddy who owns the honda 450 who cant get his to start all the time and the axle bent. i mean no quad is perfect. some quads have been around alot longer like the yfz so most of the kinks have been worked out. 3) every company produced lemons. it happens. doesnt matter if its cars or 4 wheelers. i had a polaris about 4 years ago that was at the dealership more than it was in my garage. to be honest im surprised can-am hasnt been as helpful with you. i have had alot of good experiances with them and so have alot of other people iv talked to. im sorry to hear it. i hope they can get it orked out and you can enjoy it

TNT
01-11-2009, 06:47 AM

THE FRAME IS TWISTED - YES -DEFECTIVE, ITS DOESN'T STEER STRAIGHT, THE FRAME IS DEFECTIVE AND TWISTED,

TNT - Highly doubt it – it’s assembled in a jig my 09 would be bent too and it's not. Lots of things can contribute to the steering…..go to the Steering and Suspension section on this site read the sticky at the top on setting front ends.

BLEW A FRONT AND REAR SHOCK FIRST WEEKEND OUT,

TNT - Covered by warranty…KYB shocks are excellent and have a legacy to prove it. Isolated case……No stock shocks are going to compete with Fox, ELka, AXIS….

THE TIRES DIFFERENT DIAMETERS IN THE REAR,

TNT- Find that hard to believe, thats a IPT issue covered by warranty IF it's true...sure it's not a pressure problem?

THE TIE RODS ARE LOOSE,

TNT- Good indication your front end it not right, my caster was off from the factory that till cause steering problems. Tighten them that’s simple….all new quads bolts have to be tightened.

THE CLUTCH IS SH*T,

TNT- 09 clutch IS fixed, new inner hub, new plates designed differently……got 4 hours on ours that far exceeds our Yamaha stock life(double and we have ALOT of clutch still to go)….excellent 09 clutch!!

THEY PROMISED A TETHER THAT WAS MYSTERIOUSLY ABSENT,

TNT- For legal purposes no thether but they did provide a nice harness to plug right into, thethers are cheap!! buy one stop moaning.

BRP DOES NOT CARE IN THE LEAST.

TNT- Interesting we have owned YAMs the past three years the OEM parts SUCK as with the service....We are extremely impressed with Can am.

TNT- They have BIGGER problems than the DS....We just got done spanking YAMs, Hon's, w/ big motors this weekend at a Monster Truck show on a stock DS, about 10 of them. Good luck!

TNT- Be carefull what you wish for. :D

ds450racer
01-11-2009, 06:57 AM

no it is the same

The tether was not included because it didn't work, same reason they recalled the ds90x's.
can am doesn't know how to make a tether kill switch:huh

Good luck if you think honda will care more than BRP...

no it is the same

No it has been changed. the oil has been routed differently so it wont get so dry and shatter.

ProspectorJim
01-11-2009, 09:30 AM

yes that is why I pointed out it is only on the 08's that this is a problem. His being an 09 would not have it so he can't really complain about it.

Blizzard24
01-11-2009, 09:42 AM
I think some of you make a bigger issue of the recall than needs to be, all major manufacturers have had them.

Honda 450Rs for bad ball joints
Kawasaki KFX450's for fuel tanks
Suzuki LTR450's for Linkage welds

This is just the 450 class, my brand new Kawasaki Brute Force 650 had to have the knuckles replaced in the front end, Polaris ATV's were catching fire, the list goes on and on.

Or you could own a Yamaha with known problems but they blame the owner and say the machine was being used in a manner which wasnt right for the machine ie: 2001 Raptor trannys and one way's, 04 YFZ450s with spurs on the shift shaft, leaking waterpump seals and electrical issues (All with updated fixes on later models)

For those of you that own an 08, go get the recalls done and go ride. If any more pop up... good, lets get these machines bulletproofed and ride harder!

outtagas
01-11-2009, 07:27 PM
FRAME IS BOLTED INCORRECTLY, BIKE IS NOT SQUARE.

When you measure from end of axle to ball joint on each side it shows that one side lags the other by 1/4", meaning the quad is not straight at the front.

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/3/1/11/f_dsfrontrighm_899c091.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/1/11/f_dsfrontrighm_899c091.jpg&srv=img32)

http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/1/11/f_dsfrontleftm_7e73626.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/1/11/f_dsfrontleftm_7e73626.jpg&srv=img19)

ProspectorJim
01-11-2009, 07:34 PM
FRAME IS TWISTED.

The Can-am is SH*T.

Frames don't just twist and the shocks just don't blow out on these bikes. I'm thinking you either wrecked or overshot a jump... alot.

outtagas
01-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Frames don't just twist and the shocks just don't blow out on these bikes. I'm thinking you either wrecked or overshot a jump... alot.

Whatever. I'm telling you that both one front shock blew and the rear shock blew when adjusting it. I rode it for 5 hours AND I DID NOT WIPE OUT. i weigh 125 lbs and the biggest jump I ws doing was 20' step up.

outtagas
01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
FRAME IS BOLTED INCORRECTLY, BIKE IS NOT SQUARE.

When you measure from end of axle to ball joint on each side it shows that one side lags the other by 1/4", meaning the quad is not straight at the front.

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/3/1/11/f_dsfrontrighm_899c091.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/1/11/f_dsfrontrighm_899c091.jpg&srv=img32)

http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/1/11/f_dsfrontleftm_7e73626.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/1/11/f_dsfrontleftm_7e73626.jpg&srv=img19)

If you can't see this, and still think the quad is square, then you work for BRP. Otherwise, please...make me an offer...cause it'll go for less than list (only has 5 hours on it, never been wrecked)

TNT
01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
NO WAY you can take a tape measure like you are and get an accurate reading!!!!! Not even +/- 1/2 more less 1/4!!!!

You'd need a jig check or a lazer shoot.

We built quads with tape measures like that we'd be in a world of hurt.....lol!

TNT
01-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Tell me whats going on and why you think the frame is bent? What is the steering doing exactly? You siad it won't steer straight....Make sure you are on a level surface to make the check and check your camber and your whole front end.....look in the owners manual it tells you how.

outtagas
01-11-2009, 07:59 PM
My ltr 450 measures the same with this tape measure - no difference at all. Are you sure you dont work for BRP?

TNT
01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
My ltr 450 measures the same with this tape measure - no difference at all. Are you sure you dont work for BRP?

Nope don't work for BRP. My YAM sees a difference when I measure that way....Every quad has different geometry.....All that is jig located from the rear swing arm center line to alot of tooling points like the ball joints.......think about it I know they would never get it right down the production line. So there is a master jig here that sets all these hard points on ALL the DS line.........

outtagas
01-11-2009, 08:05 PM
My ds 450 x mx has been in can am dealers shops for 2 months and i am getting the run around from BRP not the dealer it is at - they are working hard to show BRP how much out the front end is and how it was bolted together wrong at the factory. When i bought this ds another one cam in and it was straight - so my ds somehow did not get put together in the same jig is all i can think of.
Toe in and out and caster, air pressure in tires has all been looked at and corrected.

TNT
01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
The caster is preset at the factory too....look in the book there are washers that make this adjustment make sure each ball joint is set the same and BRP got your caster right.

TNT
01-11-2009, 08:10 PM
My ds 450 x mx has been in can am dealers shops for 2 months and i am getting the run around from BRP not the dealer it is at - they are working hard to show BRP how much out the front end is and how it was bolted together wrong at the factory. When i bought this ds another one cam in and it was straight - so my ds somehow did not get put together in the same jig is all i can think of.
Toe in and out and caster, air pressure in tires has all been looked at and corrected.

Odd.....got me then sorry! Tool jig cant be it or they all be bad.....I wonder what they heck? Let me know when they solve it thats interesting!

TNT
01-11-2009, 08:16 PM
You know if you were to add up all the tolerances on all the parts that stack up from the rear swing arm center line to the fwd ball joints you might see 1/8- 1/4 seeing how quads are not put together with +- .010 tolerance....it may just be a tolerance acumilation and yours unfortunately seen the worse.....You said it's causing a steering problem. I would check the bump steer too.....Look at the thread in Suspension on this site if you don't know what that is...it is the quads natural ability to steer itself.

outtagas
01-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Thank you ! it is honestly hard to tell the whole story that we have been through with this quad. Its really been frustrating.
If the problem was not there the can am mechanics at the shop i took it to would tell me suck it up and come get your quad. But they are not - you can see the frustration in there eyes too. BRP is doing everything they can to delay.
$9600 and 5hrs riding - 2 months in the shops - hard not to *****.

TNT
01-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Thank you ! it is honestly hard to tell the whole story that we have been through with this quad. Its really been frustrating.
If the problem was not there the can am mechanics at the shop i took it to would tell me suck it up and come get your quad. But they are not - you can see the frustration in there eyes too. BRP is doing everything they can to delay.
$9600 and 5hrs riding - 2 months in the shops - hard not to *****.

Yes I'd be yelling too and mad! I'd demand that BRP does one of two things, give you a new one or EXPEDITE your quad back to the assembly jig for a fit check. SORRY TO HEAR THIS! but rest assured even with tight tolerances they can accumulate. Probably not what you want to hear....hope they get it fixed fast for ya!

outtagas
01-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Johathon from BRP has already said NO WAY NO HOW will they even consider a new unit, and no money back from them or the dealer, Carlo from BRP told me to adjust my riding style to compensate, that they cater to recreational vehicles and that the ground at the track is uneven anyways

TNT
01-11-2009, 09:01 PM
How about your dealer are they cooperative? I'd ask them to put a new set of both lower and upper arms on and see if the steering doesn't improve. Bumpsteer is based on the angles of the tie rod plane to lower and upper arms plane, it's checked by moving the arms up and down and taking toe measurements. That way you could take the arms out of pic....I'm more inclined to think you got bad arms since I'd imagine the frame jig picks up the swing and arm attach center lines and they may not tool the upper ball joints thats why you see 1/4 MAYBE????....I'd hope they tool the swing to ball joints but I don't know, replacing the arms will help get to the problem by process of elimination. After that it HAS to be the frame or the swing arm.....see how complicated this can get without going back to the OEM check fixtures and jigs you just cant run a tape measure across all this and find the problem.

outtagas
01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
The dealer did swap the a arms off the other ds 450 mx that they had in. It did not do a thing it did not fix the problem. I checked this my self at home too. The dealer then went to the swingarm and could not find a problem there either. The problem is the front frame section was installed not straight in the rear frame secton it is easy to see when you can see the quad on its back bumper and the top part of the frame is off. Its bolted with 2 bolts through the bottom and 2 riveted from the side, this is where the problem is.

http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/3/1/11/f_canambumperm_78bcce6.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/1/11/f_canambumperm_78bcce6.jpg&srv=img34)

TNT
01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Are you referring to the angle that the quad sits when it rest of the rear bumper? How did he check the swing its impossible without at least replacing it.

TNT
01-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Its hard for me to tell from the photo...sorry!

TNT
01-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Take some measurements on both sides from the swing attach to the same points right and left on the lower arm frame attach...just check the frame nothing else.

Got to get to bed work in the am let me sleep on it and I will try and help more tomorrow. night!

outtagas
01-11-2009, 09:37 PM
i know pics are hard to tell but i have a short video that is crazy, and you can see the problem and how far out of wack the front end is.

outtagas
01-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Yes 100% sure that is off from swinger bolt to left and right a arm. i know what you mean -but quad is at dealer still.:(

WesDS450X
01-11-2009, 10:10 PM
if your wantin to part it out ill buy the hole front end rear end axles brake lines pretty much everything but teh plastics

florentino
01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
The dealer did swap the a arms off the other ds 450 mx that they had in. It did not do a thing it did not fix the problem. I checked this my self at home too. The dealer then went to the swingarm and could not find a problem there either. The problem is the front frame section was installed not straight in the rear frame secton it is easy to see when you can see the quad on its back bumper and the top part of the frame is off. Its bolted with 2 bolts through the bottom and 2 riveted from the side, this is where the problem is.

i Have the same problem. on my 2008 ds. but i did crash 5th pin on a jump broked my hand. stem bar and it rolled like 6 times its about 3/8 of inch off but it jumps, good. and the stock shocks are the best out of a stock qtv
http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/3/1/11/f_canambumperm_78bcce6.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/1/11/f_canambumperm_78bcce6.jpg&srv=img34)

hotshotgoal30
01-12-2009, 06:09 AM
this whole section looks terrible. lol its all *****ing.. if things are what they are and you really didnt do anything out of the ordinary then its just a lemon. i mean is there really anything else to say? ur only hope is for can am to declare it one and even then im not sure how that works. but that happens with anything, they all produce lemons. luckily i have alsways had good experiances with not only my dealer but can am. even with my snowmobiles and ski doo its all been good

hotshotgoal30
this whole section looks terrible. lol its all *****ing.. if things are what they are and you really didnt do anything out of the ordinary then its just a lemon. i mean is there really anything else to say? ur only hope is for can am to declare it one and even then im not sure how that works. but that happens with anything, they all produce lemons. luckily i have alsways had good experiances with not only my dealer but can am. even with my snowmobiles and ski doo its all been good

hotshotgoal30

TNT
01-12-2009, 07:11 AM
It’s next to impossible to check this without a jig but your goal is to verify the arm/swing centerlines first both forward/rear and height. From these 3-frame pin locations (center lines) take all other measurements. They are pinned into the jig and that is suppose to happen on a controlled 70 degree day w/aluminum, if not once removed from the jig problems can arise. Take all your measurements in 70 degree weather. Aluminum is light but in extremely cold or hot weather it can expand and contract into different shapes due to it’s coefficient of thermal expansion and when it is married up to chrome molly steel arms with a different expansion problems can arise. Also often times let’s say the fwd arms are set in a detail jig at a temp then moved to another assembly jig and matted to an aluminum frame that was set at a different temp problems can arise. With different mating coefficients of thermal expansion under an applied load (riding in cold/hot weather) permanent deformation can occur. Mx’rs that ride hard I would not think it is not uncommon for things to shift by 1/8-1/4 and they just don’t know it.

It’s next to impossible to check the swing arm (3 centerlines) without a jig too, it could be bent have them replace it too. ……What we are talking about here is a caster problem in effect, you could try and off set your caster to reduce the problems, it won’ be symmetrical but would be interesting to see what happens. All caster does is change the handling on the steering in straights and corners. From there change the toe and see if you get the steering right. The frame might be twisted or bent but you may be able to adjust it out if BRP refuses to do anything about it.

Definitely an isolated case as already stated this sort of thing can happen to any quad.

outtagas
01-12-2009, 08:32 AM
If BRP would admit it is a lemon - i would not be on here and b****ing.
TNT i will pm you.

Quadevil
01-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by florentino
and the stock shocks are the best out of a stock atv

Sorry, i know this is a thread about Can-Am but the best shocks out of a stock atv is from KTM XC and SX.

hotshotgoal30
01-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Quadevil
Sorry, i know this is a thread about Can-Am but the best shocks out of a stock atv is from KTM XC and SX.

maybe so but you also pay $ 9,500 or more for that machine and the suspension isnt a whole lot better if any

joeyds450x
01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
maybe so but you also pay $ 9,500 or more for that machine and the suspension isnt a whole lot better if any
i payed a little more than that for my ds450x.... if i pay monthly ill pay almost 2000 more in interest

i shoulda waited and bought one now there so cheap now compared to when i bought mine back in july

Quadevil
01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30

Sure. Weird would be you buy a better quad with better components and still pay the same as the others, that would be crazy. And it isn't only the suspension :D
And the Ohlins and WP are better than KYB, especially Ohlins. It isn't only the possible adjusts but especially the overall quality of the sprigs, shock, time they will last with high performance, etc

But ok, enough offtopic...

hotshotgoal30
01-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by joeyds450x
i payed a little more than that for my ds450x.... if i pay monthly ill pay almost 2000 more in interest

i shoulda waited and bought one now there so cheap now compared to when i bought mine back in july

i guess i got a deal then. lol

WesDS450X
01-12-2009, 02:38 PM
haha guess im lucky, i got a dealer speicel no interest for 3 years!!