PDA

View Full Version : Is The Banshee Any Good?

cheater13
01-10-2009, 09:05 AM
When i sell my quad i want a banshee but dont know too much about them. heres some questions i would like banshee owners or no it alls to answer:
1. Is the banshee a good and reliable quad?
2. is it good on wheelies/jumping
3. is it good for riding in fields?
4. what all do you have to do to them to keep them 100% running?
5. whats a really good year of the banshee that dont have that much problems.
if there is something im missing tell me.
thanks for helping

01-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by cheater13
When i sell my quad i want a banshee but dont know too much about them. heres some questions i would like banshee owners or no it alls to answer:
1. Is the banshee a good and reliable quad?
2. is it good on wheelies/jumping
3. is it good for riding in fields?
4. what all do you have to do to them to keep them 100% running?
5. whats a really good year of the banshee that dont have that much problems.
if there is something im missing tell me.
thanks for helping

Answered in order.

1) The banshee is hit and miss. They can be super reliable if jetted/tuned correctly and maintained. Banshee's get a bad name for reliability because of all these @ssholes that buy them and don't take care of them, or don't jet them/ tune them correctly. When done right they're great bikes.

2) The banshee is tricky to master wheelying on. They have such an abrupt powerband it's hard to keep it steady. For jumping, the stock front shocks are kind of crap, but shee's fly pretty straight and im more comfortable jumping it more then my 400ex.

3) They're excellent in fields. They have so much power and such a violent powerband they flat out rip. Especially compared to your mojave.

4) MOST IMPORTANTLY MAKE SURE THEY ARE JETTED CORRECTLY! Besides that make sure you let them warm up for a while before hammering on them. Change the gearcase oil every once and a while, and clean the filter. Just simple maintaince.

5) The banshee's are virtually unchanged. No one year had a bunch of problems. Older banshee's stators are known to go bad but not all the time. 87-94 had J-arm's instead of a-arms. They handle better because of the lighter weight but eat up bushings. Bushings are cheap and easy to replace every season. They also had different style electrical plugs in 87-94. In 2002 they added a real tail light not just a brake light.

If you ride a lot of fields you'll absolutely love it. Banshee's are an addiciton. Just ask any of the riders.

If you tend to do a LOT of slow trails, look elsewhere.

cheater13
01-10-2009, 12:04 PM
thanks man. and yeah all i do is ride in the fields. any more tips on maintaing one? and is the 2000-2006 ones good?

01-10-2009, 02:01 PM
thanks man. and yeah all i do is ride in the fields. any more tips on maintaing one? and is the 2000-2006 ones good?

All the banshee's are the same, so yes 1987-2006 is good. lol. One of those quads they never changed. Unless it's a lemon which I haven't found a banshee lemon yet.

The banshee will be perfect for you. I love hitting WOT and wailing across fields.

As far as maintaince, what i would do when buying one is make sure everythings tight and clean, and see how it runs and ride it. If it's tuned in right and everything else is good, then basically they are super easy to maintain.

Like I said, just change the gear oil every once and a while and clean the filter.

Also, if you go to put it away for a long time, make the oil mixture in the gas extra rich and run it. That way the cylinder walls will be nice and oily if you let it sit.

As a matter of fact, my dads banshee is tired. We pulled it out today to play in the snow because the top is still pretty strong and so is the mid, and it started first kick in 20* weather.

Tunings the biggest thing. If it's tuned banshee's are super easy to maintain.

01-10-2009, 02:02 PM
btw, where in pennsylvania are you?

banshee6767
01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
87-90 are the j arm frames, try to stay away from the j arm frames the top arm bend and get tweaked very easy and rub against the shocks, other than that they are good
91- up a arm frames
they can be alot of work and can take alot of money but are pry one of the funnest quads out there

01-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by banshee6767
87-90 are the j arm frames, try to stay away from the j arm frames the top arm bend and get tweaked very easy and rub against the shocks, other than that they are good
91- up a arm frames
they can be alot of work and can take alot of money but are pry one of the funnest quads out there

Whats with everyone saying the J-arms bend and break. I would take a J-arm from over an A-arm frame any day of the week.

They raced the freakin baja with those same J-arms with no problems. They also handle better because of the less sprung weight.

The ONLY downside to them is they eat bushings. But not really a problem to change them, they're cheap.

cheater13
01-12-2009, 06:47 PM
yeah your right the j arms i would pick too. i know someoine that races with a 87 banshee and he never had a problem except the bushings and im located 1 hour away from hagerstown, chambersburg, but im near warfordsburg and mcconaldsburg

banshee6767
01-13-2009, 12:58 PM
i guess they are ok if you ride like a ***** and dont jump, and they dont handle better mine was a j arm and i converted it to a arm so it would handle better and even better with +2+1's, and the rubb against shocks alot i replaced the bushings twice within 2 years of riding it, people that have the j arm are usually the ones that drag race or ride the dunes, the only reason people think the j arms are better is because they have them, if they are then why would yamaha change that, and why does every other company have a arms, just wait until you can get an a arm banshee IMO

01-13-2009, 01:27 PM
i guess they are ok if you ride like a ***** and dont jump, and they dont handle better mine was a j arm and i converted it to a arm so it would handle better and even better with +2+1's, and the rubb against shocks alot i replaced the bushings twice within 2 years of riding it, people that have the j arm are usually the ones that drag race or ride the dunes, the only reason people think the j arms are better is because they have them, if they are then why would yamaha change that, and why does every other company have a arms, just wait until you can get an a arm banshee IMO

Dude, honestly, don't post if you don't know anything.

I guess they guy that rode the piss out of the shee in 86 and got first in the baja rode like a *****?

There is NOTHING wrong with J-arms. They handle better. If you knew anything about suspension, you would know that the less unsprung weight = better suspension preformance.
The only reason yamaha changed it is for stupid reasons like the fact it ate bushings.

Granted the a-arms are a little stronger, there is NOTHING wrong with J-arms. They are almost as strong, lighter overall weight and better suspension action.

Im not saying that because I have one. My dad has a 99 A-arm frame.

I would buy +2 aftermarket J-arms before I would switch to a-arms.

Blaze
01-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Cheater, Banshee's are addicting like Eric said, I bought my 04' in november and I already spent a lot of money on it. Every dollar I find in the laundry, I literally put it towards my stash for my banshee lol.

Btw, I will send you a pm about riding in pa.

01-13-2009, 02:45 PM
PA riding is the shizznat:p

I wouldn't pick anywhere else as a better riding spot. Coal mines are where its at.

banshee6767
01-13-2009, 03:13 PM
actually i am going to school for this shi* so i do know what i am talking about your just a kid that thinks he knows everything and do you know what those j arms looked like after he was done with the race, the j arms have the same amount of travel the a arms do, j arms turn alittle sharper and by the way how do you even know how the j arm frames handle yours dont even run yet lol

01-13-2009, 03:18 PM
actually i am going to school for this shi* so i do know what i am talking about your just a kid that thinks he knows everything and do you know what those j arms looked like after he was done with the race, the j arms have the same amount of travel the a arms do, j arms turn alittle sharper and by the way how do you even know how the j arm frames handle yours dont even run yet lol

I know A LOT of people with banshee's. Ive ridden all different years.

It's not about turning or travel, its about weight and suspension action.

There is nothing wrong with j-arms. Say what you will

banshee6767
01-13-2009, 03:28 PM
it not like i am saying they are **** or not to buy one i did and i got sick of how they made the front end look, set and feel, so i made my own conversion, if you know anything bout alignments then you should be able to see that the caster and camber is ***ed up on them

cheater13
01-13-2009, 04:48 PM
thanks for the awsome arguement.keep argueing everyone!lol it still helped me though. and pa riding is awsome

01-13-2009, 05:18 PM
it not like i am saying they are **** or not to buy one i did and i got sick of how they made the front end look, set and feel, so i made my own conversion, if you know anything bout alignments then you should be able to see that the caster and camber is ***ed up on them

A little side note, I learned this a long time ago and almost got banned, keep the cursing to a minimum. The mods don't like it very much.;)

And the camber doesn't look bad at all on mine. There's just some play from the bushings, which I have to replace.

Mxjunkie
01-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Get a 400ex or something else IMO I owned a banshee and it was a never ending money pit, you'd run the hell out of it and it'd be a mine field when something went wrong.

Hands down, they are a dune quad and a drag race quad, YES you can race and ride them hard/fast, is it easy? not by any means, I should know I raced B class with one for 2 years, 4 years all together riding and went through enough parts I could buy a brand new KTM525 off the floor by now.. Trashed two stock swing arms, One sprocket hub and broke the foot peg mounts out of the frame in one season of riding just to give you an idea.. I'm not easy on my stuff by any means, I run it like I stole it. Once you ride a Honda or something from something called the future it's an eye opener that you wish happened before you got a banshee.. :)

A Banshee is a good play bike to have that's it, it is by no means a one time quad to try and do everything with..

If you notice here, I bent the top a-arm riding at Rausch Creek some how on the MX tracks.. Seemed like there was always something that was going to happen.. :rolleyes:

Mxjunkie
01-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Oh and how could anyone forget the crappy stock a-arm/balljoints the banshee's have for a front end..

Tested and proven.. Thank's to this I can barley ride without my back bothering me.. :grr:

Mxjunkie
01-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Oh anyone have there's fall over before?

dingocatcher
01-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Banshee will suit you great, as with any quad look after it and it'll look after you!

Rebuilds will be cheaper than a 4 stroker and the 2 stroker is eaiser to work at!
The one main thing to watch that nobody has mentioned is the stock airbox is crap and the throttle overide system needs chucking in the bin and replacing with carb caps. The air filter can be installed wrongly very easily which will cause it to gap and let dust in!!!!!
Only other thing is the needle bearings in the swingarm can be shot which will cause chain bounce and the axle carrier is not the best design but works fine just a bit hard to adjust ...

Sounds a lot but its not really, ive had a few from pretty standard to very well tuned and love em

Blaze
01-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Personally, I think you came to the wrong place to get advice about a banshee, this is a honda loving forum. Of course they will pick at all the things that could go wrong and not the things that are good about them, just something to think about, good place for banshee's is

Hillclimbersforum (http://www.hillclimbersforum.com)

cheater13
01-20-2009, 05:58 PM
ok thanks. ok how about... is the honda 450r good?

01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
ok thanks. ok how about... is the honda 450r good?

LOL, way to go from one extreme to another.

The 450r's are pretty rock solid. The 04's and 05's were hit and miss. Some blew the crank bearings and destroy the entire engine. But other then that they're pretty good.

If you ride mainly fields, trust me, get the banshee. You won't be dissapointed AT ALL. The power makes it absolutely awesome in fields and such.

cheater13
01-20-2009, 06:09 PM
yeah. i have my choices narrowed down to the banshee or a 2006+ honda 450r or maybe a yfz450

jcs003
01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
sounds expensive, but get an aftermarket chassis and a good motor and you'll be perfect. keep it jetted well.( tends to run hot) not anything faster if its built correct.

01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
<B>1. Is the banshee a good and reliable quad? </b>
It can be if built right just like anything
<B>2. is it good on wheelies/jumping</b>
No, both jumping and wheeling are not so great on them.
<B>3. is it good for riding in fields?</b>
Yes, wide open is where the quad does best.
<B>4. what all do you have to do to them to keep them 100% running?</b>
Regular maintainance, clean your air filter, change the oil, have the right oil/gas mixture.
<B>5. whats a really good year of the banshee that dont have that much problems.</b>
They are all pretty much the exact same quad from when they came out to their last year being made.

01-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
<B>1. Is the banshee a good and reliable quad? </b>
It can be if built right just like anything
<B>2. is it good on wheelies/jumping</b>
No, both jumping and wheeling are not so great on them.
<B>3. is it good for riding in fields?</b>
Yes, wide open is where the quad does best.
<B>4. what all do you have to do to them to keep them 100% running?</b>
Regular maintainance, clean your air filter, change the oil, have the right oil/gas mixture.
<B>5. whats a really good year of the banshee that dont have that much problems.</b>
They are all pretty much the exact same quad from when they came out to their last year being made.

I disagree with #2. Other than the front shocks being crap, the banshee flies super straight and even. But yes, wheelies and banshee's take a while.

And I don't know if this is what you meant, but there is no real "oil" in a banshee. Just gearcase oil.

cheater13
01-26-2009, 03:49 PM
thanks everyone. anything else

Brauap
01-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Just wondering guys.. how often do you need to re-ring the shee? I have always loved the shee's (never ridden one though, :ermm: but I love the look & sound of them! there soo BEAST! hopefully I can own one, one day.. :)

01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Just wondering guys.. how often do you need to re-ring the shee? I have always loved the shee's (never ridden one though, :ermm: but I love the look & sound of them! there soo BEAST! hopefully I can own one, one day.. :)

Dude, honestly, shee's are pretty damn reliable. When they have a fresh rebuild done right, they will last a good 2-3 seasons of hard riding. Even longer if not ridden 24/7

I think you would like it. You know the powerband on the yz125 on the top end? Well imagine twice as strong of a hit on a quad. lol.

Actually, im sure you can find a REALLY nice banshee for a trade for your 400ex, if you were that interested in them. Ive seen people saying they want a 4-stroke and are willing to trade.

When riding the 400ex for a while and jumping right on the banshee the same day, it feels awkward. But I got used to it after riding for 20 minutes and its very confidence-inspiring.

Brauap
01-29-2009, 04:14 PM
About how many hours of riding would I need to re-ring it though?

And I'd need to have a 4-stroke back up.. I can't JUST have the 2 stroke as my main ride because I do ride alot of trails.. and I would like to have the 450R as the bike set up for that, then have the banshee for the fields and yards and that..

01-29-2009, 04:20 PM
About how many hours of riding would I need to re-ring it though?

And I'd need to have a 4-stroke back up.. I can't JUST have the 2 stroke as my main ride because I do ride alot of trails.. and I would like to have the 450R as the bike set up for that, then have the banshee for the fields and yards and that..

There is no "re-ringing" on the banshee. It doesn't have nikasil plated cylinders like the yz. The piston rings and cylinders go with each other. You might be able to get a little longer out of it with just rings but your just avoiding the inevitable.

But the bore lasts a long time, and even tired they pull like a raped ape.

Plus its cheaper then rebuilding the yz because you dont have to plate the cylinders with nikasil, just simply bore with new pistons.

Brauap
01-29-2009, 05:19 PM
So there arn't any piston rings?! Just the piston against the the cylinder? If there is.. after how many hours is it a good idea to check them or just replace them?

Brauap
01-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
There is no "re-ringing" on the banshee. It doesn't have nikasil plated cylinders like the yz. The piston rings and cylinders go with each other. You might be able to get a little longer out of it with just rings but your just avoiding the inevitable.

But the bore lasts a long time, and even tired they pull like a raped ape.

Plus its cheaper then rebuilding the yz because you dont have to plate the cylinders with nikasil, just simply bore with new pistons.

no "re-ringing" ... thats where I am confused.

01-29-2009, 05:29 PM
no "re-ringing" ... thats where I am confused.

lol, no it has rings. But if it has low compression its usually the rings in combination with the cylinders. It doesn't have nikasil plated cylinders so they don't hold size quite as long as the yz's cylinder. So if its low-compression, rings are only a very temporary fix. You will need to bore the cylinders.

But like I said, the banshee lasts a very long time on a rebuild. And even when they do eventually get tired they still run awesome on top end.

Brauap
01-29-2009, 06:43 PM
lol, no it has rings. But if it has low compression its usually the rings in combination with the cylinders. It doesn't have nikasil plated cylinders so they don't hold size quite as long as the yz's cylinder. So if its low-compression, rings are only a very temporary fix. You will need to bore the cylinders.

But like I said, the banshee lasts a very long time on a rebuild. And even when they do eventually get tired they still run awesome on top end.

How many hours till they wear? Huh.. I learn something new everyday! Screw school! I learn stuff on here all the time! :chinese: ahah just playing!

01-29-2009, 06:58 PM
How many hours till they wear? Huh.. I learn something new everyday! Screw school! I learn stuff on here all the time! :chinese: ahah just playing!

lmao.

I honestly don't think anyone can tell you how many hours.

But I would say about 2 seasons if you ride the F'ing piss out of it day in and day out, but if you only ride like maybe 4 times a week still somewhat hard, I would say 3-4 maybe even 5 seasons.

01-30-2009, 08:07 PM
I disagree with #2. Other than the front shocks being crap, the banshee flies super straight and even. But yes, wheelies and banshee's take a while.

And I don't know if this is what you meant, but there is no real "oil" in a banshee. Just gearcase oil.

I figured everyone would automatically know i'm talking about gear oil.

01-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I figured everyone would automatically know i'm talking about gear oil.

Not saying you didn't know that, im not trying to be insulting. But you never know. Ive seen a lot of idiots in the past. Was just double checking.

hale23
02-23-2009, 02:09 AM
I was satisfied with my 400ex, until my husband got his banshee, now I want one. Can't beat the smell of burning 2 stroke.