PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line

Snipe
01-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey yall been workin on my quad and all. I had it running perfect after awhile my fuel line cracked. My prob is I have a 450R Carb running on my 400 yall know the 400 fuel line is a hella lot smaller than the 450R carb intake. My problem Fixing the freakin fuel line.

Its really starting to piss me off. Seems like everytime I got it fixed something turned out wrong. I had it fixed ran fine after it set overnight the line pinched off wouldnt run. Took it apart (glad I did) the line ripped right in half so that was a good thing in a way.

Now I replaced it Only prob is splicing as like said the 400ex gas tank is about a 1/3 the size of the inlet on the 450R carb. I spliced the line but the blessed thing is leaking. I have tightend it to no end and it still leaked out from somewhere. I am about to buy a open airbox kit and take it to be rejeted but I cant doing anything with the damned fuel line not working.

My question is what fuel line do you use? the 400ex or the 450R's I was using the 400's but it failed. It didnt slip off it actually had a hole in it when removing it. the 450's seems way to big for the tank. So what do yall do?

brokenmike
01-09-2009, 11:00 PM
I made an adapter to go from the stock fuel line and the 450r fuel line

Pipeless416
01-10-2009, 12:08 AM
i use the 450 line with two small hose clamps on the tank side.

Snipe
01-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I think that is what im gonna have to do. They made them in such away there is no way to get the bends in the line without tweaking it. Its a pain in the *** guys but I think I will break down and buy a new line lol.

Figured I would just fix it with some aftermarket fuel line but noooooooo lol

sc400ex_rider
01-10-2009, 12:19 PM
heres what i did when i put my 450r carb on, i read it on here. just use reg 3/8 auto fuel line, put a spark plug in one end and let it sit for a while. this will flare one end out so it will slip right on. the other end will be to big so i used a reg. hose clamp. and for the kink i cut the last barb off my fuel petcock outlet nipple it has 2 or 3. make the line length just right a little to much and it will kink, just keep trimming down till its just long enough. mine works great, no probs for 2 years.

dariusld
01-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I also used 3/8 auto fuel line and forced it on.

Snipe
01-11-2009, 12:41 PM
I tried 3/8 wont go on the carb. All I can find is braided fuel line I cant find the cheap stuff like they use from the manufacture (just plain line) The braided stuff will not stretch at all I tried everything it just wont stretch lol.

Ruby Soho
01-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
I also used 3/8 auto fuel line and forced it on.

x2, i used that as well when i put one on my quad

Ruby Soho
01-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
I tried 3/8 wont go on the carb. All I can find is braided fuel line I cant find the cheap stuff like they use from the manufacture (just plain line) The braided stuff will not stretch at all I tried everything it just wont stretch lol.

i put a little bit of oil on the end and it slipped on, then put a hose clamp on nice and tight

sc400ex_rider
01-11-2009, 02:56 PM
put a spark plug threaded end into the 3/8 fuel line it will flair it out!!! if you haft to screw it in ok . i dont type just to make my hand cramp LOL

dariusld
01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
i dont type just to make my hand cramp LOL

If your hand is cramping up from typing, you should exercise it more. That stop you from being cranky also.

CJM
01-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Soften the rubber up by putting the spark plug in it and put it in boiling water for a few mins where you want it to soften.

sc400ex_rider
01-12-2009, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by dariusld
If your hand is cramping up from typing, you should exercise it more. That stop you from being cranky also.

ya well, people ask for help then they dont want to do what you say. or sometimes they ask for help then THEY want to argue about your response cause you dont tell them what they want to here LOL. then theres people like you who sit on the sideline not helping anybody just waiting to chime in with some stupid remark. now i know why all the really smart people leave the ex forum never to return like chad502 or gp racer and zr pilot ect. i guess i will leave one day to........... this guy is a perfect example. all the more i can do is buy the chain and put it in for him :rolleyes:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3455626#post3455626
P.S. please learn proper sentence structure your 2nd sentence is illegible :rolleyes:

Snipe
01-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Look I didnt make this to start another ****ing arguement that is all this place dose is argue. I simply stated what kind of line do you use.

I have tried to stretch it but if you read all I can find is braided fuel line when you stretch it it is made in layers the layers come apart the line break and its a piece of **** after.

so if you cant add helpfull info to this thread then stay the **** out of it.

Sorry I have just had all I can of this bickering back and forth its like being in charge of a bunch of little kids. well im done either help or just STFU

yellow416ex
01-12-2009, 08:41 AM
on mine i used the stock fuel line on the petcock, on the carb i have about an inch of 1/2" line. I put the stock size line in the bigger one with a hose clamp and a little silicone hasnt leaked on me yet

Snipe
01-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Thank man that is something to try

katch26
01-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Ive drilled 1/4 inch line one step bigger. Theres enough sidewall to allow and not be weak. They also make the step adaptors that you can fine at autozone (and the cheap line)

Pipeless416
01-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by katch26
Ive drilled 1/4 inch line one step bigger. Theres enough sidewall to allow and not be weak. They also make the step adaptors that you can fine at autozone (and the cheap line)

lol i tried drilling out a 3/8 line a little bit when i was in a hurry before a trip to little sahara winter of 07. lets just say that i didn't clean it out well enough... obviously.. and my float was stuck open the entire trip. not cool. i went right back to a stock 450 line after that with no complaints. i'll tell you now though, if you use the hose clamp method, try putting electrical tape or something around the hose where the clamps are going. that rubber is so soft, and the clamps will eventually rip it.

katch26
01-12-2009, 12:14 PM
lol yeah I can see that happening. It does make quite a mess.

sc400ex_rider
01-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by yellow416ex
on mine i used the stock fuel line on the petcock, on the carb i have about an inch of 1/2" line. I put the stock size line in the bigger one with a hose clamp and a little silicone hasnt leaked on me yet

Thank man that is something to try
LOL that is CLASSIC that is exactly what you need to do. the most ghetto rigged way to do it. when i was 14 i bought a yz 175 for $35 not running, he said it was running not to long ago also i seen him ride it. the clutch cover was busted into about 10 pieces and epoxied back together. it leaked oil but worked. the motor wasnt seized so i bought it. so i take it home and me and my friend are pushing each other up and down the street poppin the clutch trying to get it to start, choke on choke off. so after about 10 minutes we get tired so i pull the pull the plug to see if it was fouled. hmm the plug is bone dry. i check the tank its half full, check the petcock it says on, pull the fuel line off the carb no fuel, hun? that idiot did the exact same thing, he had one fuel line going into another fuel line with a hose clamp. the clamp completely closed off the fuel line going to the carb. i took the clamp off got a ball point pen and took the ink tip out cut the pen tube in half jambed one end into one hose and the other to the other hose and bam. started right up. 1 hour later we rode the bike past his house and he was pissed. whats the moral of this story? in a week "snipe" when your quad aint running and your all pissed off cause your quad is a piece of junk and your always fixxin something. you aint got nobody to blame but yourself. and dont bother responding to this cause you'll be added to my ignore list. peace

yellow416ex
01-12-2009, 01:40 PM
I realize its not the most professional way to do it but it works just fine. The outside diameter of the stock fuel line is 1/2" so it fits perfectly inside 1/2" fuel line. The hose clamp isnt very tight at all, just a little extra insurance.

Snipe Im not trying to tell you to ghetto rig your bike, just showing you what worked for me.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q181/wheeliebob/0112091320a1.jpg

Snipe
01-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I know man just ignore ****ing dick holes like sc400ex_rider. There nothing but a waste of societies time.

I acutally tride something similar but I used the joint connecter from oriely its a brass piece that goes inside both ends and allows you to clamp down on them without pinching the line.

I myself couldnt get it to work I think its just back to the drawing board with the stock 450 line as most have said. That is what I was really trying to find out what one to use the 400 or 450.

yellow416ex
01-12-2009, 02:27 PM
I know man just ignore ****ing dick holes like sc400ex_rider. There nothing but a waste of societies time.

I acutally tride something similar but I used the joint connecter from oriely its a brass piece that goes inside both ends and allows you to clamp down on them without pinching the line.

I myself couldnt get it to work I think its just back to the drawing board with the stock 450 line as most have said. That is what I was really trying to find out what one to use the 400 or 450.

Yeah well I hope you find something that works for ya. I wrestled with mine for a while but it was definitely worth the effort:D