PDA

View Full Version : filling 1 lb propane cylinders

quad2xtreme
01-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I just got the required adapter from Harbor Freight. If I have a 20 lb tank, how many bottles can I fill before I can't fill any more? How much propane will be left in the 20 lb tank when I can't get any more propane out of the tank? I assume there is a point where the 1 lb bottle and the 20 lb tank just equalize out.

I guess you need to find a place that refills your tank versus just swapping to a new tank. If you swapped tanks then I assume you would be giving back the unused propane that is still in the tank.

Pappy
01-09-2009, 06:14 PM
LOL..Jon, you aint gonna start blowin chit up are ya:scary: :chinese: :D

gsxrkneedragger
01-09-2009, 07:09 PM
i don't know much about filling the 1 # tanks from a 20# but i've seen the kits your talking about. i'd imagine that you should be able to use all of it, just because they are pressurized, maybe not use every last bit but close to it.

i do know that where i'm from, even if the tanks still has propane in it, i will get charged a full tank. i think its $17. it will be that no matter what. i'd check your local filling place though. just my .02

quad2xtreme
01-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by gsxrkneedragger
i don't know much about filling the 1 # tanks from a 20# but i've seen the kits your talking about. i'd imagine that you should be able to use all of it, just because they are pressurized, maybe not use every last bit but close to it.

i do know that where i'm from, even if the tanks still has propane in it, i will get charged a full tank. i think its $17. it will be that no matter what. i'd check your local filling place though. just my .02

When I lived in Pasadena, we had a place that sold by exactly how much they put in. Home Depot down here charges $20 no matter how much is in your old tank when return it.

The little 16.4 oz bottle are $3 each and I run 4 of them at a time to heat the trailer. I am between switching it over to the 20 lb bottles or refilling these little bottles that are pretty convenient.

quad2xtreme
01-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
LOL..Jon, you aint gonna start blowin chit up are ya:scary: :chinese: :D

Anything is possible. You should have heard my propane company when I called them asking questions about the 500 gallon tank I have in the ground. :D I am pretty sure they thought I wass gonna try tapping into that. Somehow, I don't think the homeowners insurance would cover that. :p

Pappy
01-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Anything is possible. You should have heard my propane company when I called them asking questions about the 500 gallon tank I have in the ground. :D I am pretty sure they thought I wass gonna try tapping into that. Somehow, I don't think the homeowners insurance would cover that. :p

LOL...I have one for you.

When we moved in here, there was a large tank behind the house. It wasnt connected so i called the company on the tank and told them to come get it. They called back a few days later and said it wasnt their tank it was mine.

3 years later they sent a letter that they had serviced the tank, and sent me a bill for propane usage! I again called and told them it was disconnected and refered them to my earlier call.

Silence for another year and again, a letter stating the same as the first. So this time I call and tell them the same story and finally they come get it after I threatened to blow it up in the woods!

Just last week I get another letter asking me to please pay for the tank or they will have to come get it and see me in court!!!!!

I am going to burn all around where the tank used to be, send them a picture of it and ask who is going to pay for the exploded tank :devil:

And they wonder why the forgieners are kicking our asses!!!!