PDA

View Full Version : No oil on Dipstick???

hdlstns
01-09-2009, 04:53 PM
I have changed my oil and filter (yes i put it in the right way) in my '02 400EX. I add 2 qts to the tank. I start the motor and let it idle like you are supposed to. Shut it off and then let it sit for a min, and check the dipstick....nothin. ? The bike isn't running hot, so I know it is lubricating, but what could be going on here? Anyone else have these problems, or hear of them, before? Any solutions or suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Chris

97WarriorRider
01-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah mine does the same thing..has since i bought..hasnt blown yet..I just add a little more..and then the next time I check it the dipstick is covered in oil

powermadd400ex
01-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by hdlstns
I have changed my oil and filter (yes i put it in the right way) in my '02 400EX. I add 2 qts to the tank. I start the motor and let it idle like you are supposed to. Shut it off and then let it sit for a min, and check the dipstick....nothin. ? The bike isn't running hot, so I know it is lubricating, but what could be going on here? Anyone else have these problems, or hear of them, before? Any solutions or suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Chris

i wouldnt think it would be burning oil with it just sitting.
how long are letting it sit? its sposed to sit 6-7 minutes due to the 400ex being a dry sump engine.
whatever you do, dont overfill it.
overfilling is worse than underfilling.
good luck,
Chris

01-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
i wouldnt think it would be burning oil with it just sitting.
how long are letting it sit? its sposed to sit 6-7 minutes due to the 400ex being a dry sump engine.
whatever you do, dont overfill it.
overfilling is worse than underfilling.
good luck,
Chris

no its not, overfill and the worst is oil pushed through the crankcase breather which goes into a little resevoir and if that fills it goes into the air intake tube or gaskets or seals blowing. No oil = engine failure

powermadd400ex
01-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
no its not, overfill and the worst is oil pushed through the crankcase breather which goes into a little resevoir and if that fills it goes into the air intake tube or gaskets or seals blowing. No oil = engine failure

BS do some research before you run your mouth.
google "results of overfilling oil"

01-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
BS do some research before you run your mouth.
google "results of overfilling oil"

how about this you shut your mouth. i doubt someone would overfill so much that the oil airates or w/e and its a dry sump so the oil isnt all sitting in there.

97WarriorRider
01-09-2009, 07:05 PM
lol..all this sight is is one big arguement

HondaRaceReady
01-09-2009, 07:17 PM
If you fill the oil to the max, then you will blow the motor. If you add just a little too much its harmless.

Adrian
01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I could see how overfilling the oil on say a conventional oiling system as being harmful..ie. power robbing due to the fact that the crank would be submerged in the oil... but perhaps a lil extra in a dry sump system is practically harmless I would think.

powermadd400ex
01-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Adrian
I could see how overfilling the oil on say a conventional oiling system as being harmful..ie. power robbing due to the fact that the crank would be submerged in the oil... but perhaps a lil extra in a dry sump system is practically harmless I would think.
a little bit over the upper isnt bad, but as little as 1/2 quart can mess up your engine.
the excess oil is frothed by the crank and cause air bubbles.
These air bubbles will reduce the amount of oil getting to friction parts and cause them to overheat and fail.

CJM
01-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Seriously, add maybe 1/8 of a qt extra at most.

hdlstns
01-09-2009, 09:21 PM
I mainly was afraid of overfilling...
The specs say 1.95 us qts, so that is what I thought I put in... Svc manual says let idle for 5 mins, for temps under 50deg F an additional 5 mins (total of 10 mins). Stop the Engine. After a few mins of letting it sit, unscrew the dipstick and wipe it clean, then check the level by replacing the dipstick in the filler hole without screwing it in.

Turns out I had just barely not enough oil to show on the dipstick... at the angle it [dipstick] enters the tank, there isn't very much oil added from "low" to "high".

If you haven't already figured it out, this is my first dry sump motor.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions!

Chris

01-09-2009, 09:28 PM
i thought it was like 2.2 with a il filter change and 1.95 without changing it

powermadd400ex
01-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by hdlstns
I mainly was afraid of overfilling...
The specs say 1.95 us qts, so that is what I thought I put in... Svc manual says let idle for 5 mins, for temps under 50deg F an additional 5 mins (total of 10 mins). Stop the Engine. After a few mins of letting it sit, unscrew the dipstick and wipe it clean, then check the level by replacing the dipstick in the filler hole without screwing it in.

Turns out I had just barely not enough oil to show on the dipstick... at the angle it [dipstick] enters the tank, there isn't very much oil added from "low" to "high".

If you haven't already figured it out, this is my first dry sump motor.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions!

Chris

dont feel bad, the same thing happend to me :D

hdlstns
01-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i thought it was like 2.2 with a il filter change and 1.95 without changing it

1.9 after draining
1.95 after draining and changing filter
2.2 after disassembly

buck440
01-10-2009, 12:59 PM
some of you people on here are so stupid like the one who said if you fill it to the max the motor will blow he is just simply retarded cause i always do that when im going on long rides and guess what buddy no blown motor so eat it!!! :grr:

powermadd400ex
01-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by buck440
some of you people on here are so stupid like the one who said if you fill it to the max the motor will blow he is just simply retarded cause i always do that when im going on long rides and guess what buddy no blown motor so eat it!!! :grr:

:p
your funny

sc400ex_rider
01-11-2009, 02:20 AM
ok, everybody read your owners manual or use the search. this has been covered many times. unfortunetly most of the smarter people have moved to 450's. so if you want good info you better go back 4-5 years. now to properly change your oil remove BOTH drain bolts (yes there are 2 dont chime in that im an idiot or whatever). the engine one and the oil tank one. replace the bolts and add 1 qt of oil. start the engine and let it run for 30 seconds at idle to pump down the oil tank. then add another qt and let it idle for 5 minutes to bring the oil to operating temp. then check your dipstick. cold the oil will not or barley touch the dipstick. many people have made the mistake to add when cold or try to put 2 qt straight in only to have it come bubbling back out when started. there hast to be room for expansion and room to let the air bubbles out of the lines.

quadbod
01-11-2009, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
ok, everybody read your owners manual or use the search. this has been covered many times. unfortunetly most of the smarter people have moved to 450's. so if you want good info you better go back 4-5 years. now to properly change your oil remove BOTH drain bolts (yes there are 2 dont chime in that im an idiot or whatever). the engine one and the oil tank one. replace the bolts and add 1 qt of oil. start the engine and let it run for 30 seconds at idle to pump down the oil tank. then add another qt and let it idle for 5 minutes to bring the oil to operating temp. then check your dipstick. cold the oil will not or barley touch the dipstick. many people have made the mistake to add when cold or try to put 2 qt straight in only to have it come bubbling back out when started. there hast to be room for expansion and room to let the air bubbles out of the lines.

Good advice.

Oil's volume increases drastically when hot.

rcatvrider
01-11-2009, 09:11 AM
On my 400ex and my buddy's z400's, the oil readings are always inconsistent. Sometimes it's halfway up the dipstick, sometimes just on the tip, sometimes all the way up, so i just quit worrying about it and made sure I added a full 2 quarts every time I change the oil.

dave4881
01-11-2009, 07:07 PM
unfortunetly most of the smarter people have moved to 450's

Which group are you in? (Check your sig) LOL!

powermadd400ex
01-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by dave4881

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll461/scottski45/ownedshower7eh.jpg

Just kidding buddy :D :p

brian76708
01-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 97WarriorRider
lol..all this sight is is one big arguement

NO ITS NOT aahhahahahaha

sc400ex_rider
01-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by dave4881

well i checked my sig and with all those 450 parts i guess im almost there. looking at 450's right now!!!!:Dhttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4010789.jpg
p.s. also dave i dont think your post even made any sense. i said most not all.and yes i still have a 4 hundie with lots of 450 parts. ahhh another punk kid with 17 post saying some smartarss remark.:rolleyes: and why someone would even have a pic of 2 men in the shower is just wrong on so many levels!! maybe this :o or this :eek: ............now thats PWNED

wykyd450R
01-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by buck440

So you fill the engine completely up before long rides? If you need to do that to have enough oil to last the day, I think you have more problems than being stupid thinking its ok to do so. Most people fill the fuel, and check the oil......By the sounds of it, you need to fill the oil and check your gas.:p

dariusld
01-12-2009, 11:14 AM
This is a cool thread, keep going. Start talking about each others momma's;)
I think sc400ex_rider is getting burnt out on tolerating our stupidity.

dave4881
01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
well i checked my sig and with all those 450 parts i guess im almost there. looking at 450's right now!!!!:Dhttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4010789.jpg
p.s. also dave i dont think your post even made any sense. i said most not all.and yes i still have a 4 hundie with lots of 450 parts. ahhh another punk kid with 17 post saying some smartarss remark.:rolleyes: and why someone would even have a pic of 2 men in the shower is just wrong on so many levels!! maybe this :o or this :eek: ............now thats PWNED

You posted that "most smart people have moved on to the 450", yet you still have a 400 as evidenced by your sig. It was my way of saying you're not in the 'smart' group. (JK)

The two men in the shower was posted by someone else, not me.

Yet, I'm just a smartass kid, 60 years old! LOL...

All in fun...

kilgoja
01-12-2009, 08:00 PM
i put 2 qts in when i change the oil and filter then run it for 5 or so then let it sit for 2 or 3 then check it and i have to add a lil more...so 2.2 is more accurate to get it to the full line...it takes slightly over 2qts if u drain it all out right...but 2qts would be fine...that's not too low...but 2.5 qts. would be too much..lol...

elasesino
01-12-2009, 10:53 PM
OK, I'm going to hijack this thread. Did anyone notice that sweet Hutch BMX bike in SC_400ex's pic? That is the COVETED BMX racing bike from back in the day. And it looks all original in that pic. Those cranks in good condition are worth a mint.

Nice toys SC!

kilgoja
01-13-2009, 03:25 PM
awww man it's awesome!!!...Cru Jones would love to ride that thing and do a back flip ...lol...Ever seen the movie RAD?

elasesino
01-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I think I watched the movie RAD 3 times in one night. I lived and breathed BMX when I was a kid. Those old bikes bring back so many memories. A few years ago, I started buying parts on ebay to rebuild a replica of my old supergoose that I had when I was a kid.

Childhood was so innnocent those days. Atari, BMX, building airplane models, r/c cars were my life.

As I get older, I'm finding that I'm buying all the things I wish I had, or did have as a kid. (such as a Honda 4 wheeler).

outlaw319
01-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by elasesino
I think I watched the movie RAD 3 times in one night. I lived and breathed BMX when I was a kid. Those old bikes bring back so many memories. A few years ago, I started buying parts on ebay to rebuild a replica of my old supergoose that I had when I was a kid.

Childhood was so innnocent those days. Atari, BMX, building airplane models, r/c cars were my life.

As I get older, I'm finding that I'm buying all the things I wish I had, or did have as a kid. (such as a Honda 4 wheeler).
I know what ya mean there, when I was a kid it was all about bmx,skateboarding,model cars,fishing and my fourwheeler! Now i'm older it's multiple quads,fishing boat,campers,streetbikes,hotrods,4x4 trucks,and etc.

On the overfill note you can do damage on a wet sump system if you go overboard! Such as:higher pressures blowing out seals, cracking rings, causing "washed out" cylinder walls, bent connecting rods( i have witnessed this 1 b4) and hydralocking of the motor. I got a sweet deal on a quad 1 time because the guy hydralocked the motor by over filling it with oil, he filled it while having the bike jacked up on the side to easily access the fill tube. Because of that he added around 4-5 quarts before it showed up on the dipstick, so by the time he had it ready to start it cranked for a sec and locked up tight, because it was so full of oil it wouldn't allow the piston come all the way down thus acting like a hydraulic cylinder instead of motor. I bought the quad from him CHEAP!!! as soon as i took it home I drained some of the oil and started it right up! I eventualy told the guy what he did, not to make him feel like a dumbazz, but just to keep him from doing it to himself again.

sc400ex_rider
01-14-2009, 08:16 AM
OK guys seeing how there are people on here that appreciate nice bmx stuff. this is the one with the megabuck aerospeed cranks. thank you for your compliments.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/small.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/front.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4010517.jpg

elasesino
01-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Good god, those are beautiful bikes. I just got a little wet. Are you on the vintage bmx forums?

sc400ex_rider
01-14-2009, 02:33 PM
ya i go there sometimes, mostly vintagebmx.com and oldschoolbmx.com. i dont collect much anymore i got all i want and all i need. plus alot of people are getting into it and the prices have gone crazy. back in 03 you could get stuff dirt cheap. no kid wanted any chrome "wal mart" bikes. now all the supercross racers that started with bmx are trying to rebuild thier old race bikes. so now it back to the old ex were the money is much better spent. this is one example
better yet 3. its gotten just plain stupid.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120358552648&ih=002&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120358546440&ih=002&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120358538101&ih=002&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=

kilgoja
01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
wow...those bikes cost as much as an atv...i would just buy a new one...lol

outlaw319
01-14-2009, 04:18 PM
WOW!!!!:eek2: :eek2: over $500 for a pair of hutch hand grips! Makes me wish I still had some of my old stuff...i had a big mix of stuff from all kinds as Hutch,Redline,Skyway,Ross,Cali freestyle and others..and just think I pretty much gave it all away:(

elasesino
01-14-2009, 04:21 PM
The BMX generation are all working adults now, and can afford the things we wanted back then. I"m finding this with almost everything. Classic Tamiya R/C cars are going for $500 on ebay, just for the kit if it's authentic.

kilgoja
01-14-2009, 05:36 PM
awww man i used to have a tamiya hornet rc car...it was awesome...that thing is long gone....lmao...that's my problem i used everything until it broke or was not able to be fixed...so none of my old stuff is worth a penny..lol..i think my old bike is at my parent's house all rusted up...a haro fst...lol

colesdaddy02
01-14-2009, 08:24 PM
wheres your lay back seatpost and cw handlebars? what about those big black hand grips that looked like stress relievers.yall know what im talking about.

wykyd450R
01-15-2009, 05:59 AM
I know what ya talkin about..lol...They had the piece that stuck up on the outter end, to keep your hands from sliding off I guess. I too was an old school bmx'r back in the 80's. :D

elasesino
01-15-2009, 08:37 AM
i know what you're talking about too. How about the Oakley Wings with Donuts...