PDA

View Full Version : Cam Mod

zzsa02
01-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I see lots of forums talking about doing the cam mod. My question is what are the pros and cons of doing it. I race xc 05 449 13.5 to 1 JE. I'm getting ready to put it back to gether I'm just looking at options Thanks alot any help would be awsome.

yamahaman623
01-09-2009, 03:22 PM
what the cam mod does is it moves that power up in the rpms further. its done to my yfz and i like it alot.

JoePA
01-09-2009, 05:44 PM
If you race XC it might be something that MAY hinder you but I would think that the benefits outweigh any slight loss of bottomend. It's one of those mods that you SHOULD do and if you don't like it you can change it back in less than hour...heck you can do it in just a few minutes!

It's one fo the best mods, IMO, that you can do to the YFZ. It cost you nothing and the differance is amazing...provided the carb is jetted properly. Good luck

Joe

Ride1Rob
01-09-2009, 06:03 PM
A nice portjob and cams is amazing. Alot of it depends on where you like your power. I'm a bottom end guy so I really didn't like it. It is free though ;) . And it's not a mod that you can do in a few minutes.

JoePA
01-09-2009, 07:35 PM
And it's not a mod that you can do in a few minutes. [/B]

Not to be one to disagree but after doing several...for me anyway.....start to finish plastics and all.....15 min. I did say under an hour tho!

Ride1Rob
01-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by JoePA
Not to be one to disagree but after doing several...for me anyway.....start to finish plastics and all.....15 min. I did say under an hour tho!

A few means 4. At least that's what they taught me in school. 15 sounds more realistic. But that's someone that knows what they're doing. Depending on his knowledge of the motor and mechanical skills it could take him over an hour.

JoePA
01-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I have to do one next week...I'll see if I can do it in 4....but i'll have to be SMOKIN with some power tools and speed handles!!

gnccracer450
01-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Not being a smartass... but a few is actually 3... unless u are talking about people and then it can be as many as 6... so i would slap my teachers...lol just playn:cool: im just bored and lookin around

JoePA
01-19-2009, 06:16 AM
It's all relative, sorry we hijacked your post!! If I said I was going to put somethign in the microwave for a FEW minutes then sure that would be 2-4 minutes. If I said I was going to run to the quad shop and pick up a few things I'll be back in a few. That is definatly going to be 10-20 minutes!!!!

See where I'm going witht his!!:D

Anyway as far as doing the cam mod.....it is well worth the 10 min to 3 days, how ever long it takes you to do it. Provided you jet your carb properly I don't think you woul go back to stock timing.

I'm bored too....I'm off to powdercoat my stuff...it's like watching paint dry...literaly!

Joe

jersey devil
01-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Got to admit watching paint dry is cool as hell.Especially when it is for yourself because already in your mind can picture how bad everything is going to look when done.