PDA

View Full Version : New 250R trying to figure out some stuff...Experienced 250R Owners Need Apply

KP250R
01-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Hey all, My name is Kelly, and I just bought a 1987 Honda 250R.
The purchase of my R is somewhat sad, and happy.
I bought the quad today from the Estate of a really good friend that unfortunately just passed away 12-30-08.

I have personally riden the bike, and seen it many times, but unfortunately I do not know the mod list, and exactly what I have here.

I will post up some pics this weekend after she gets a bath and a thorough examination.

For now tell me what you see and can identify from this pic:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/kpgsx/250R.jpg

Only thing similar I have ever owned was a 86' Suzuki LT250R.
This Honda 250R is far scarier than my old suzuki quad, I know that.

Look forward to lurking the website digging 250R information, and meeting new friends.

Thanks! :devil:

pdxbigfoot
01-09-2009, 12:12 AM
First off sorry to hear about your loss.
You are in a really good spot here with alot of good guys and alot of knowledge.
Can you post better close up pics??
Heres what i see and im sure others will add to it.
The frame looks to be a 86 just because of the front motor mount.
Dg nerfs
Clarke or IMS 4 gallon tank
PRM front desert bumper and 6 pack rack
Maier plastics
Graves seat cover
Aluminum radiator shrouds of some sort
Aftermarket wheels of some sort as well
Almost looks like a Pro-x cylinder pokin its head out from behind the pipe.
FMF silencer with a spark arrestor (i think)
Some sort of aftermarket pipe,im not sure so i wont take a jab at it as ive been wrong before.
Some sort of aftermarket rear swingarm skid plate
Maxxis Razr's
Front master cylinder guard

Thats all i can see from here. Better pics will help us all to spec it out.
Jason

250Renvy
01-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Welcome, if you've had a 2-stroke before you'll enjoy the 250R. Make sure if you have questions you do searches, most stuff has been posted. Most times there's fairly knowledgeable people here.

I couldn't help but notice you have rocks in your front yard. I saw that on one of those home reno shows. I guess that's fairly common in the desert - but it just seems sooo weird.

trx250rider
01-09-2009, 08:39 AM
wow...that is strange.at least you dont have to worry about cutting the grass

KP250R
01-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I washed her down and got a good look at everything this afternoon...haven't snapped any photos yet, but I will by Sunday Afternoon.

I noticed the Jug has CT machined into it. The Front Shocks say "works" on them. All the shocks have dust covers. The plastic is like brand new. The tires are good.

I want to go ride it, and remember my friend, and the times we had riding this and another quad together a few afternoons last summer.

Since he passed and I did not anticpate ownership of "his" quad, I didn't really pay all that close attention to the mods he said it had done to it.

I want to run adequate fuel at the proper ratio, but I don't know where to start on a bike of this caliber. I remember him saying it was nearly Full Race spec engine...13:1 cr, ported everything, yada yada. Just with that information,.......can anyone tell me what octane, oil additive, and ratio I should run?

I am at 4400ft elevation.

To be honest, remembering riding this beast last summer, this thing is just unbelievably fast. I do not want to do any damage to the Engine by running the wrong octane and not mixing the fuel at the right ratio.

*edit: The Rock Yard was my friends front yard. They call it
Zero-Scaping here..and alot of people do it to conserve and to deny obligation to water/mow domestic grass.

jhtrx250r
01-10-2009, 01:46 PM
From what I see , everything jason said was right, It looks like a 1986 frame from the front motor mounts and the gold hubs and swinger back that up, looks pretty clean!
As far as pre-mix i would try to find out what was ran in it in the past (if you can).
Best to go with what the motor is used to.
I would check the compression for fuel type or just run straight race gas, most of CT's work requires race gas and poor fuel is a good way burn a motor down.
and any gas with ethinol kills any 2 stroke
ask your local shop as well, I use 110 race with honda HP2 oil, used HP-2 in all my 2 strokes since 1995 it has never let me down
(evan the kawis and zukis) it is 100% syn oil and easy to find.

Buttermilk
01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
1987 250R's had a similar frame to the 1986 model, but the bumper mount in the front was slightly different in the way that they mounted. The '86's and '87's both ran the gold hub's and swinger. The front motor mounts were also slightly different between the two years. You can also run the VIN number as well to confirm the model. Plus, the frame had a factory sticker on the front down tube that identified the year as well, if it hasn't been removed...

As far as oil/gas, if the compression is up pretty high, you'll need some high octane fuel. I'd run a good two stroke oil such as Castor 927, Klotz or similar (I personally run Mobil 1 Racing 2T in my 250R as well as my Banshees with excellent results) at a ratio of 32:1 (I have 15.2:1 compression on my 250R and run 110 octane - compression on the guage is 209 psi).

Regards,

Rog

KP250R
01-11-2009, 08:14 PM
So here it is, safe and sound at home.

I took it for a short ride today, maybe 5 miles.
Man this thing is a monster. If I were a guessing man, I would say it would pass 70mph pretty easily. The trails I went riding today are pretty rough and have alot of turns so I could never really get passed 5th gear.

So far, I am loving this quad!

Here are some more pictures:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/kpgsx/DSC08507.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/kpgsx/DSC08508.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/kpgsx/DSC08510.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/kpgsx/DSC08509.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/kpgsx/DSC08512.jpg

danhung11
01-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by KP250R
So here it is, safe and sound at home.

I took it for a short ride today, maybe 5 miles.
Man this thing is a monster. If I were a guessing man, I would say it would pass 70mph pretty easily. The trails I went riding today are pretty rough and have alot of turns so I could never really get passed 5th gear.

So far, I am loving this quad!

Rought trails and 5th gear don't mix! ;)

That top end is nice, do you know the specs on it?

Either or... Welcome to the R world! It put ths little kid in you back again! :D

KP250R
01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Depending on the weather ( I am in New Mexico and we have not seen ANY snow ) next weekend I may bolt on the paddles and blades and tear up some dunes!

Video will follow as time progress'.

Stay Tuned.

on the issue of the fuel,
I got 5gal. of VP110 and mixed it 40:1,

it ran great.

mikesutphin
01-11-2009, 09:44 PM
the 250r is an awesome quad i have an 88 model. where do you live , im in carlsbad,NM ?

KP250R
01-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Clovis,NM "Armpit of New Mexico", is cool though, I am 8 miles from Texas and will soon return to the homeland.

Hit me up and we should meet up and ride sometime!

Kp

mikesutphin
01-12-2009, 08:59 PM
yeah that would be cool. we ride in kermit TX mostly. its takes me an 1 1/2 hours to get there. theres alot of sand there

KP250R
01-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Right on, I know where Kermit is.

It would take me about 4.5 or 5 to get there!

I am about 2hrs from Carlsbad....Been there a few times too!

There are trails, and dunes within 30-45 minutes of here.

But we really should get together sometime, it would be fun to meet up with you and RACE! :devil:

:blah: