PDA

View Full Version : Kfx 400 (2004)

howemark34
01-08-2009, 06:07 PM
I own a 2004 KFX 400. Over the Christmas Holiday I took it out to Ocotillo Wells and the first day it ran perfect. The following morning I started it, and the clutch wouldn't engage. I had it serviced at some yahoos shop prior to leaving on my trip so I decided to check his work. I drained the oil, and to my suprise over 4 quarts drained out. When I got back home I added the required amount, started it up and am still having issues with the engaging. Could one day of riding (easy riding maybe 1hr) ruined the clutch?

Thanks,

bellzbub
01-08-2009, 07:09 PM
it certainly did not help. what kind of oil did he use? if it was auto oil with friction modifiers it sure could have done some damage to the clutch. on that note if it did any damage i think it would be slipping.

have you checked your clutch cable adjustment and such? that would be the first place i would look.

cataway
01-08-2009, 07:18 PM
what did you have them do ? i take it it was more than just add more oil.

howemark34
01-09-2009, 05:47 AM
They used Maxima non-synthetic 4 stroke oil. The only other thing they did was oil filter. Perhaps after 5 years it was just time for the damn thing to go??? Also, I adjusted the cable while at the desert, to no avail. It is as adjusted as can be. Any thoughts on what type of clutch to replace it with?

jonboy
01-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Actuate the clutch and watch the arm on the LH case near the starter. Make sure it is making its full stroke if not it may be binding or the arm may be loose. It doesnt make sense for it to just go out all at once it would at least slip and let the bike rev then engage first. Also your basket could be grooved out and stopping the plates from engaging.

howemark34
01-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the information! The arm appears to be fine when I actuate the clutch lever. As of this morning the engine does rev, then the clutch engages. When I shift into 2nd gear, it takes a moment, then engages. Same thing happens in 3rd.

Another little tid bit that I just realized, is when I set the parking brake the bike rolls as if the rear brake isn't engaged. Looks like it's time to replace the brakes as well...

I have a mobile mechanic coming out to look at it this weekend. If in fact it is determined that the clutch is gone, what replacement do you recommend?