View Full Version : Help on a-arm and shock install

Misfit400ex
01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Well so far i have the right side tie rod off, and the shock off, but the hub will just NOT come off the stock a-arms. any tips for getting it out? This "little" project is taking A LOT longer then i anticipated, it took me nearly an hour to get to this point, with busted tools, a tired back, and a few cigarettes. :mad: :mad: any tips to make this go easier? Oh and what I'm installing is some +2 bugard custom blaze orange PC'ed a-arms, with valved remote rezzy Worcs triple rate spring shocks. springs also pc'ed blaze orange.

hondaking52
01-08-2009, 05:01 PM
ya there a B**** to get off, took me awile to, then i found a little trick, i'll try to explain it, you have to get a bolt and nut tht will fit between the 2 balljoint studs, then snug them up and turn them apart to push them apart, i hope this helps, here a link to ishocks site, they give you a tool with there kit, so just look at the pic of it for reference

http://www.hydrodynamicsusa.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=29_36&products_id=74&osCsid=2b8068675591c106afc090894f5a454a

hondaking52
01-08-2009, 05:09 PM
o, and i think ur suppost to put a socket over the stud then put the bolt down the backside of the socket, then turn the nut down,hope this helps ya out man.....

dariusld
01-08-2009, 05:25 PM
related thread (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=371395&highlight=pickle)

buck440
01-08-2009, 06:39 PM
i did the same thing today but replacing bent aarms and what i did was dit my quad up straight like a wheelie but on the grab bar but yurn off the gas first and no oil will go in your carb like i thought, now you can stand instead of crouching or laying down. now take somthing round and hard and a hammer and put the hard object on the ball joint on the a arm and pound the duck out of it and what i also did was bang on the spindel a little, 'whick helped' , and there you go,or just buy the tool for getting it off;)

Misfit400ex
01-10-2009, 09:28 AM
OK so here is a progress report, both sides stock a-arms AND shocks are now off, and the right side tie rod is off, but the left side tie rod attached to the steering fork, is stuck so hard it makes me think God himself tightened it. also, the nuts that go on the tie rod, wont exactly thread on the new ones, what can i do, or should i just try and pickle fork the old tie rod ball joints out, and get new ones? I'm fed up with this old **** not wanting to come off so i can put on my shiny new stuff. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: HELP

Misfit400ex
01-10-2009, 11:38 AM
can anyone help me?