PDA

View Full Version : leaky valves , need some info !!!

HOT-ROD
12-18-2002, 07:55 PM
i just had new valves put in about 8 months ago . now i got the head off again and noticed the exaust valves have a slight leak when i did the fluid test . is that normal or should i have new seals in them ?

BadA$$440
12-18-2002, 08:04 PM
pour gas into the ports while holding it sideways, if it leaks out the valves then you need to lap them. Go buy a spring compressor, lapping tool, and lapping compound. Take the springs off, put a LITTLE lapping compound on the valve seat and start lapping. I had the same problem when i had my head off, all i did was lap each valve for about 5 min and and didnt leak at all after that. Hope i helpd

Woodsrider
12-18-2002, 08:07 PM
Where is your fluid draining? If it is in the exhaust port, no. If it is under the head,(assuming you have it sitting upside down on the table), yes.
I just rebuilt a motor for an integra, and installed a used head that leaked water thru the exaust valves into the exhaust ports. I lapped the valves by hand and installed the head. worked like a charm.

HOT-ROD
12-18-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Bad*****440
pour gas into the ports while holding it sideways, if it leaks out the valves then you need to lap them. Go buy a spring compressor, lapping tool, and lapping compound. Take the springs off, put a LITTLE lapping compound on the valve seat and start lapping. I had the same problem when i had my head off, all i did was lap each valve for about 5 min and and didnt leak at all after that. Hope i helpd who sells the spring compressor and how much is it ?

BadA$$440
12-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Go to a local Car shop, Hardware shop, they should have one, f not, ask where u can get one. I got mine at a local hardware shop, not sure how much, prolly 20 bucks. Get a manual, it explains step by step how to lap valves

HOT-ROD
12-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Bad*****440
Go to a local Car shop, Hardware shop, they should have one, f not, ask where u can get one. I got mine at a local hardware shop, not sure how much, prolly 20 bucks. Get a manual, it explains step by step how to lap valves which manual ? the 400ex manual ?

BadA$$440
12-18-2002, 08:15 PM
ya, a 400ex manual. They are about 40 bucks but well worth it. It shows everything about it.