PDA

View Full Version : Should I

lil_watz_ex
01-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Let me first apologize if this topic has been beat to death but I want an opinion from this forum. I offered a man who has a 250r with this in his desciption:
I took this quad down to bare frame and rebuilt it. It has new-axle bearings and seals, swingarm pivot bearings bushings and dustcaps, Front wheelbearings and seals, steering stem bearings and seals, Grips, Prolink swingarm decals.

Everything was glass beaded and painted-Frame, swingarm,hubs, spindles,motor mounts, A-arms, tierods, Pegs

ENGINE-bored 60 over, shaved head, shaved cylinder, some port and polishing, wiseco pison and rings, LRD 2-piece pipe and DG silencer.

The plastics are in good shape but do have a couple small cracks and the seat has a small hole in it. $1800

My ex has a stock motor, 450r shocks, +3 a arms, and plenty more extras that are for looks.

Is this a good deal or should I stick with my bike?
I want something faster but I don't want a 450 and I have heard nothing but good about these quads.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mcboomport
01-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm confused. Did you offer him 1,800 and your bike? Do you have a 400ex? Do you race it? woods, moto, dunes? What year is your ex? what year is the 250r?

lil_watz_ex
01-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Sorry about the confusion, I offered him a trade straight up for my quad. (2000 400ex). I ride primarily woods but spend a lot of time on a mx track. Would like to race some. Hope that helped some more. I guess Im just wondering if a clean strong running R would be a good trade for me to give up my ex for.

pdxbigfoot
01-08-2009, 07:26 PM
I would trade in a second!!

Kirt13
01-08-2009, 07:30 PM
That's a great deal........ TRADE!! :)
Kirt

wilkin250r
01-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Let me first say that almost ANYBODY would take a 250r over a 400EX if they were both in the same condition. That would be a great trade.

But the real key is the same condition. You gotta remember that these machines are separated by 20 years. I'd never trade a perfect 400EX for a crappy, run-down and beat up 250r.

I'm not saying you should stay away, and I'm not saying you should jump on it. I'm just telling you the issues. Be aware, and make a careful inspection of that 250r.

Me, personally, my choice would be dependent on the condition of the 250r. It wouldn't even have to be perfect, just decent, and fire up in the first few kicks. But then again, I'm only willing to take that gamble because I'm not afraid of extensive motor work, I can do it myself.

mcboomport
01-09-2009, 10:35 AM
i'm with wilkin on this. If the 250r has been "refurbished" or in the same condition as your ex, I would trade it in a second, but if its kinda beat, and someone just added some paint to it, not a chance.

It sounds like from his description that he did a some of the right stuff that usually needs replaced, but trust me, there are still plenty of parts that usually need rebuilt on these that get kinda spendy.
I would check the heck out of that thing.

On the other hand, I dont think I would ever trade a single one of my r's for a 400ex, so I would question why he would want a 400ex rather than a 250r that he just fully rebuilt.

I'm not trying to scare you out of it, cause I would probably do it, but just inspect it carefully.