PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard/Boat people

Quad18star
01-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Looking for some advice from guys or gals that know about Wakeboard boats. I have a lead on a 2001 Master Craft X5 Wakeboard Edition boat. The boat has 460 hrs on it and seems pretty clean . The owner claims " Excellent Condition"

Is there anything to look out for with these boats? I couldn't find any "known problems" with them on the net , but maybe one of you guys knows something I don't.

I can't water test it since we're in the dead of winter, and the owner wants to get rid of it by mid March. What would you pay for it?

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/l/kj/09/1/4/015/r4/794651i_20.jpeg

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/l/kj/09/1/4/016/r4/63779a1_20.jpeg

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/l/kj/09/1/4/018/r5/5393ck9_20.jpeg

gcart2
01-08-2009, 04:14 AM
those are amazing boats. what motor is in it?

LuckyOxygen
01-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Not tryin to sound like a jerk, but just about anyone that takes care of their boats dont leave them in the water. It does appear to be a nice boat though... To help answer your question now...my friend has an '01 X2 that he bought with 130 hrs two summers ago, and it was close to 30,0000 (limited color). So I would say mid to low 20s. Oh yea, make sure the ballast tanks work, that will really piss you off..

ridered11
01-08-2009, 10:21 AM
look for things you would for a regular engine, i believe that year is efi so you should be good. check the prop as well as the hull for deep scratches gouges bends and it should give you a pretty good idea of what kind of driver drove it and how well it was taken care of

scuzz
01-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Check for cracks in the hull around the eyelets and cleats. Also check the exhaust hoses that are rubber for cracks. Look for leaks around the "stuffing box" (where the propeller shaft goes through the hull) the more hours on a shaft, the more this is apt to leak.

Check the plugs, check the compression, check the oil in the engine and gear box.

Check for play in the steering.

Check the electrical connections to make sure that they aren't corroded at the fuse box. Also, while you're there make sure that the correct amperage is used in each specified spot. This could be an indication of an electrical problem if they are using fuses that don't belong.

Make sure that the flare's and other life safety equipment are there and not expired. (these things add up quick and you can be fined pretty hard should you be boarded and inspected)

Speaking of, make sure the bilge blower is in top working order.

What's the KBB on it? What are they going for in your area? (ballpark)

Quad18star
01-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info.

This type of boat in my area would probably run about $26 000 ... the owner is asking $17 500 or best offer.

The boat did sit in a marina throughout the summers and there is signs of "pimpling" on the bottom of the boat. She said they had a estimate repair of $2400 to get it fixed. I ahven't seen the boat in person , only pictures , so I'm going by what the owner is telling me . There's also a 3 inch rip in the back seat. They're sellign because they don't use it anymore and need the money... so they say.

scuzz
01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Sounds like a deal then (IMO)

4punksdad
01-10-2009, 09:22 AM
i have owned a few sea-doo's and they are very capable boats. I paid 17k for the last one new. 220hp

trx400EXtreme
01-10-2009, 10:02 AM
mastercrafts are high dollar boats. anytime you can find a used one in good condition for the right price, you cant pass it up.

440ex kid
01-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Not tryin to sound like a jerk, but just about anyone that takes care of their boats dont leave them in the water.

I agree 100 percent. leaving a boat in the water is what causes the "pimpling" in the hull. the water actually destroys the gelcoat over time. google osmotic blistering and you will see many cases of this happening. it is very expensive to fix. usually around $1000 for a square foot. Mastercraft boats in my opinion are very well built and the best ski and wakeboard boats made, but regular maintenance is still needed. Im not sayin thats a bad deal, but you should know what your getting yourself into.

hypersnyper6947
01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
You never know what your getting into until you can actually take it out on the water. There is what i would call the drive shaft but its the shaft that goes from the motor to the prop, that could be bent and you wouldnt even know until you take it out. It does seem like a good deal though IMO. Also the balast thing can be a pain if they dont fill and empty properly and that is where you get your wake from.

440ex kid
01-10-2009, 03:20 PM
You may run into a problem when you get it on the water, but if you see that the hull is stained and the gelcoat has bubbles in it then you should be aware right off the bat. Im not sayin this isnt a bad deal, but it may need some work. I personally wakeboard of a near identical boat (different year, slight different model) and it is a damn good boat. Quadstar, judging by your posts, your educated enough to know if it will bite you in the ***. just like buying a quad, look for obvious defects. google boat maintenance and it will give you common things to look out for.

derekhonda
01-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Don't know a lot about boats but many marinas around here have a hoist and a big indoor pool for jetskis, they strap them down so they don't move but you could check and make sure it starts up has power doesn't sink...etc. Maybe you could find somewhere up there that would do that since it is still winter to give it a bit of testdrive.