PDA

View Full Version : valves with shims suck!!!

chadbarger18
01-07-2009, 06:14 PM
ok the other day me and my dad go to put my curtis sparks mx cam in so everthing is good but its pushing the intake valves open when it is on couldnt get any feeler gauge in there at all but the exhaust is fine so dad takes the shims out and measures it with just the buckets on and the gap was .014 so he figures it would need a .008 shim to be in spec witch is .006 so i go to the local shop and tell em the story and he said that wouldnt work measuring that way and if the gap was .014 with just the buckets i might need new valves cuz mine might have pulled up in the head
so can any1 help me with this problem the bike started fine and ran fine b4 we started this what should i do ?

thanks chad

Colby@C&DRacing
01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
You are going to have to get a shim in there and get a measurement to get a gap and take that measurement to figure the difference in shim sizes. You can't figure a shim thickness by setting the bucket on top of the valve spring. If you end up with anything less than a 1.40mm you will probably need a valve job. I know the shim kits are kind of pricey but well worth the investment. Maybe you have a buddy that has a kit and that will help.

chadbarger18
01-08-2009, 05:59 PM
well what does a valve job cosist of just new valves ?

NacsMXer
01-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by chadbarger18
well what does a valve job cosist of just new valves ?

The head needs to be machined to match the new valves, plus seals etc. Colby could tell you everything that is involved.