PDA

View Full Version : painting plastics ?

Bud88
11-13-2001, 08:59 PM
im trying to fix up my bike so i can sell it and buy a 400ex
have any of you guys painted plastics ? and how did you do it ?
im afraid if i do it its going to flake off could you guys give me tips on how to do it i saw that 400ex in the rides section that had blue plastics did you paint those or what ?

"BLAHH"300!!
11-13-2001, 10:09 PM
i wouldn't- how badd does it look :rolleyes:
couldn't be that bad huh?- i knew a guy that had an ole'
110 trik he painted the fender's to make it- " camo floodge"
didn't last long- started chipin off from being so unstable and hitting brush and such- you could go match the paint to the regular color and do it - but if yor trying to cover scratches and stuff- they will still show- that blue 400 ( i think it was in the rides section) is maire plastic, it's cheep- you could buy that-
it's kinna' dull- but hey- - i say get you some good stuff to make it shine and go over the entire bike- take off some easy parts and get behind em' make it look like you do it all the time- looks taken care of- then let him deal with it later- nuff said- i wouldn't paint it- you could paint some hard parts- hubbs- and little bolt on parts-

Bud88
11-14-2001, 12:55 PM
well the thing is man its yahama blue and the fenders arent cracked or anything but there scratched up and have the white creses all over them i repainting it blue so iy will blend in more and my dad paint cars so its going to be sanded down lightly and sprayed in primmer and everything so i thault it would be fine but wasnt to sure

Magicfan25
11-14-2001, 03:48 PM
Even if its primered and all that heres the difference...on cars the panels dont do much flexing. the plastic on your quad is going to flex a whole lot more, that flexing will eventually make it crack and peel

trueblue450
11-14-2001, 04:05 PM
Yeah and the second you get riding in woods it will chip off and show the old through and look worse than what it does now. Before you sell your bike just give it a good coat of Armoral and it will look shiney NEW...

fourtrax400ex
11-14-2001, 04:49 PM
dont do this guy, my friend have try it on his 250r, primer, paint, paint and a clear, but after 2 or 3 ride the paint peel and go away, like 300exman says, just put some armor all on plastic its works wells

CranMan
11-14-2001, 04:58 PM
They do make spray paint thats for painting plastic. My sons blaster has been spray painted, and it's not too bad. Go to some good hardware stores and look for plastic paint.

booneTRX
11-14-2001, 07:29 PM
If your dad paints cars, he knows about flex additive. That is added in small amounts to paint and clear coat. Add a little extra to each and it should be fine for quite awhile. I would not prime plastic to paint it. Use several coats of the paint to blend out the scratches and old color.

I have not done this on a quad yet, so dont take it as a given. It still may not work. Get an old MX fender or ATC front and practice and bend it around to see if it stresses the paint.

01ytrx400ex
11-15-2001, 07:01 AM
Use a heat gun to remove the white creases. But be careful too much heat will melt it.

Bud88
11-15-2001, 03:58 PM
what if i already sanded them with a light grid sandpaper now what can i do ? should i just give it a shot and see how it turns out ? and is there anyway that the paint will stick better to the plastic without chipping so bad when they flex ?

dune250r
11-16-2001, 05:34 PM
My fenders were scratched to hell. I thought they would never look good again. Then a friend of mine that MX races said that he uses Mop And Glow floor wax on his plastic to make it look shiney. This is the stuff that people use on lenolium floors. I didnt think it would work but to my suprise it did. I do have to re-apply after about 5 rides.

"BLAHH"300!!
11-17-2001, 06:26 AM
get a streight edge razor- on those scratches- and if you play around with it you can get the sratch out- don't dig in - just
angle . and pull like this- <----- \ or /----> go over it a few times and it'll work- i had tones of scratches after my wreck
- bar plastic rear fender's did this and got most all of em out-
and yeah they were deep scraches too-

"BLAHH"300!!
11-22-2001, 12:20 PM
THOSE BIKES NEVER TOUCH the trils by anymeans-
they probably arive in a cover'd wagon-
not flamin man- just sayin- this is differant-

Taco
11-23-2001, 01:21 PM
No the point is they never see trail abuse or a friggin tree limb for that matter. Why do you hate on everyone that doesnt know Cody Jordan?

stevengates45
11-23-2001, 02:50 PM
I'm sick of arguing with you people, i'm just deleting my posts & leavin this thread.

Taco
11-23-2001, 02:53 PM
Because its not practical for a trail quad thats why. How many quads do you think on this board are for dragging only which is what you posted? Thats why we posted those comments. Not everyone drag races and thats it.
(edit) oops didnt know he deleted his threads when i posted this.

11-23-2001, 05:04 PM
My friend panted his 91 warrios plastics black.
They were blue, and very scratched.
They came out pretty good, he used normal spray paint.

Bud88
11-27-2001, 11:50 AM
well i bought flexable primer and talked to several people about it and they say with that primer and regular enamel paint it should do just fine im going to do this custom blue with a yamaha decal set it should look really good when im done

beerock
11-27-2001, 01:13 PM
any paint you put on the bike is going to chip after a while PERIOD

maybe some big sheetsof colored stickers would work better?

honda4life
11-28-2001, 12:17 PM
It depends on what type of plastic it is also. I had the black panels on my 400 sanded and painted w/flex additive, and then cleared by a buddy in a paint shop. They looked great, but I was curious to how the paint would stay on, so on the edge I ran my fingernail up against it and it peeled right up. I could take and peel it all off like a big piece of dead skin. The plastic was a little oily underneath.

Bud88
11-28-2001, 12:44 PM
well its just a way to make the bike look nice without spending a lot of money for new plastics im just gojng to sell it as soon as im done with it