PDA

View Full Version : CVT maintenance

mcwilly
01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Just wondering how often you guys change out the 'basics' of the CVT....torque spring, belt and rollers. Trying to get an idea of what to expect for the life span of each.
Also, when you change out the rollers, do you also clean the channels that they roll in?

etondaddy
01-07-2009, 10:41 AM
When we raced CVT's the clutchs came apart every week..... cleaned and checked the rollers, cleaned and checked front clutch. Changed big spring every six races, changed little springs and belt once a year.

As you can see by the second pic it was always clean inside......once you get it right your good.....no heat no problem

Mike Kozura

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/IM003974.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/IM003973.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/IM003975.jpg

marsrace2
01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Etondaddy, whats with the orange tie strap on the belt, looks like there might be a trick here I need to know.

mcwilly
01-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by marsrace2
Etondaddy, whats with the orange tie strap on the belt, looks like there might be a trick here I need to know.

Ha, you beat me to it.

01-07-2009, 11:15 AM
I would bet it to be to keep the belt in the pulley as you can take the whole clutch apart and keep the belt in the pulley. If you take the belt out of the pulley it takes two people to put it back in as you have to pull and twist and put belt back down in to the pulley to replace the belt back on the front variator. and its a task if you have 2000 springs lol. If im wrong please help everyone out on this Mike this is just my thought and experience in the clutchs easier to put the zip tie on while you pull the belt into the rear pulley to keep it there.:macho :macho :D

marsrace2
01-07-2009, 11:20 AM
That is pretty much what I figured but just wanted to hear it from someone else.

etondaddy
01-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by tgcheeseman
I would bet it to be to keep the belt in the pulley as you can take the whole clutch apart and keep the belt in the pulley. If you take the belt out of the pulley it takes two people to put it back in as you have to pull and twist and put belt back down in to the pulley to replace the belt back on the front variator. and its a task if you have 2000 springs lol. If im wrong please help everyone out on this Mike this is just my thought and experience in the clutchs easier to put the zip tie on while you pull the belt into the rear pulley to keep it there.:macho :macho :D
That is a bingo my friend...........

And the belt makes a nice handle to carry it into the shop.....lol

Or swing it from your wrist as your walking like Kyle did..........boy that used to make me mad :mad: ...... I'd tell him if that s.o.b. flys off and you mess up them Malossi clutch shoes............I'm going to kick your little a**......lol

Just push the belt into the pulley and put a cable tie on it......

Mike Kozura

etondaddy
01-07-2009, 12:34 PM
That very well maintained jog motor's going to be for sale here real soon....complete. Just put a fuel line on it and kick.

When I get time I want to clean the carb, look at the clutches, and check the trany gears and then put it up for sale. It always ran strong.

Mike Kozura

T@AFP
01-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Mike you crack me up!
That is some funny s**t.

etondaddy
01-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by T@AFP
Mike you crack me up!
That is some funny s**t.
I try........

Check your pm's.