PDA

View Full Version : Raptor project i need alittle help!

quadgod440ex
01-06-2009, 08:56 PM
hey everyone , i got alittle raptor project going on right now and i was wondering if it was possible to get a cheaper little better stance out of it . Like possibly running the yzf450 shocks and if the arms work running them also ? But i was wondering what some people do with the rear shocks and swingarms on them is there any swaps that people perform? deffinatly new to the yamaha game and im tryin to figure out some little here and there bolts on i could do to get alittle better quality out of these tanks. Let me know whatcha guys got up your sleeves. Thanks alot!!

noreversesucks
01-07-2009, 02:26 AM
What sort of stance ya lookin for? Is it a 660 or 700?

quadgod440ex
01-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Well the project is a cbr600rr motor in the raptor setup. Now being so high stock its probley just gonna be alittle top heavy and a wheelie monster. Me and my buddy who are doing this have built plenty of banshee , quadracers , warriors , and even the BombBUSA ( bombardiar with busa motor).. The we got the frame geomatry down pat. just trying to get it alittle lower and possibly about and inch wider without have to buy completely aftermarket arms. Im not worried about buying an axle. I mean i know the basics of building a quad. I race pro am gncc's. Im just trying to figure out if parts are inner changable from the more "Race" quads to this type of situation. The raptor shocks dont have resevoirs and not much adjustment on them . So i was wondering if it might make it alittle more standable to ride if i ran the 450 stuff.... Pretty much just want alittle more adjustability and width to the bike without spending alot of money on the aftermarket stuff. This isnt a race bike. Pretty much just a pit quad with alot of power and ready for some dunes. Whenever the hell new jersey gets some or i get off my a** and take a road trip hahaha. This is for the 660 chassis.

noreversesucks
01-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Sounds like a cool project! Where's the pics??!! Hahaha

The YFZ shocks are a good upgrade and not hard to fit at all.
You'll need to grind a little on the upper shock mount on the frame and on the lower mount you either have to grind some on the bottom of the shock eye or the a-arm itself.
Some guys hav just cut out the part of the a-arm right under the shock eye to give the needed clarence.

I think they will lower the front some but I can't say how much. I've got 'em on one of my ikes but I have +2 a-arms as well so I couldn't give ya the specific amount.

Since you're already fabbing stuff up, it wouldn't be to big of deal to relocate the lower shock mounts to lower the front to where ever ya want it. We're gonna try that on a friend bik this weekend I think. (Just for drag racing of course...before somebody starts flamin me for it...)

Just found a cheap/easy way to lower the rear too. Use the lower shock linkage off a 700 Raptor. It's 5/8" longer than a 660 link and will lower the rear about 1 to 1-1/2".
If ya really wanna get low ya can flip the other part of the linkage around. (Ya gotta watch the clarence for the bottom part of the shock).
Flipping that link wil lower it another 2 to 2-1/2 inches.
Ya can do either one or both and ya can surely find the height you're lookin for!

Depending on how wide ya wanna go, there's a few different ways to do that too.

Cheapest is a stock Banshee axle for the rear. It fits right in but it does have a different offset than the Raptor. One side will be a little wider than the other.
I can't remember the exact measurement but I'm thinkin it about 5/8" wider on the right side. Not noticable unless you're really lookin hard.
I can get ya the exact measurement if ya need it.

Next is use Honda 300ex/400ex hubs. That'll gain ya about 2-1/4 inches total I think.
One thing I discovered is if ya have a nice new Yamaha axle and nice new Honda hubs, they wont fit together... Some with a little wear and they fit great! Hahaha
Ya gotta do a little grinding on the honda hubs to get room for the axle nut though. The honda hubs are "thicker" in the spline area thsn the Yamaha ones.

Then there's the G-force hubs from Rocky Mountain ATV or an aftermarket axle.
From what I've seen, the Durablue is a little wider than a Lonestar.

Ok, I'm sure you're tired of reading my bs by now...

Hope it'll help ya out.

quadgod440ex
01-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Wow i really appreciate all the info you just gave me. I new all about the linkage from the 700 and actually flipping the other wisebone looking link over also. The one thing i was really happy that you told me was about the honda hubs. I have a few sets of 400ex hubs laying around and i was really curious about if there was a way to make the raptor a honda bolt pattern. I have a very nice set of beadlocks i wanted to run on one of my other hondas but that ended up just getting a set of hipers. So i have a nice set of itp beadlocks i am doing nothing with and it would be much better to just use them rather sell and buy another set.
So your saying for i can run the hondas rears hubs on what ? The banshee axle or the stock raptor axle? i pretty much wanna keep the same geometry in the front on the A-arms i dont wanna be moving factory mounting points. The 450 shocks seem like the way to go and right after i posted that thread last night i learned about the rear setup from the 700 so that pretty much has me hooked there. Now just to get the front end alittle lower. Im honestly probably gonna eventually buy a cheap set of standard travel plus 2 Arms off ebay. Like i said this is not a big time race bike or hitting any crazy jumps. Just for fun put riding and some fast pace drag racing . So i dont wanna get ragged on for using standard travel stuff and crap like that.
I will deffinatly be supplying pics of the build dont you guys worry. Right now its not worth posting anything all it is , is a 08 600rr motor and a 04 raptor rolling chassis just sitting in the shop waiting to get cut up haha . Like i said i just wanted to make sure i can get what im looking for out of this before i go chopping. Im not a yamaha fan in anyway , thats why im installing a honda motor haha. I hope to get pics soon . Thanks again for the help!!

noreversesucks
01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Ya can use the honda hubs on either one of the axles, (Raptor or Banshee), depending on the wear of course... LOL
I used 'em on a shee axle one it really close to the width of the Durablue with stock Yamaha hubs.

I hear ya about Yamaha.
I'm a Honda guy at heart, but they just won't build anything worthwhile nowdays unless you're racing. The 450r is fine but I like the big bore bikes and that abomination 700 Honda came out with makes me ill.
All they had to do was engineer a reverse into an XR650 and slap it in a 250r chassis and I'd be partin out both my Raptors today!

quadgod440ex
01-07-2009, 10:18 AM
i agree about the 700 thing . Thats horrible. Yea i do alot of racing so my 450r gets transformed asap anyway. but honda is deffinatly falling back in the race ready "Off the floor" prospective in the atv's. The new 09 yfz450s are very nice quads.