PDA

View Full Version : First ATV!!! 08 525s any tips on changing oil and some mods?

bpjr07
01-06-2009, 04:46 PM
so i finally got an atv me and my brother went and bought a new 08 Polaris outlaw 525s. white with red

im going to do the 3 hour oil change right now....few questions..
do i have to change the filters or do i wait and change em at the 20hr mark?
going to buy the polaris oil change kit.

also I'm very new to ATVs any tips or links to basic maintenance would be great!

wats a good atv magazine to superscribe to?

what are some mods i should do?

Thanks for the help

:p

525Outlaw#55
01-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Changin the oil after 3 hours is a new one on me. My mechanic told me to ride it awhile then change the oil and the filters. As far as mod's, exhaust and jet kit and you'll be more than happy. Dirt wheels is my favorite mag. Hope this helps

ROB450mxr
01-06-2009, 08:01 PM
I have an 08 outlaw 450 and i'm very happy with it. I was told the same thing from the dealer bout the 3 hour oil change and yes I would recommend changing the filters because there was some shavings in them when I changed them for the first time. Each oil change after that I've changed them every other time ( There not cheap ). Good luck w the new ride...

Bobsxlch
01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
I own a 07 525 irs and the dealer also told me the same thing. I even took the time out to read the service manual and it recomended to replace the two oil filters and clean the two oil screens. One is located under the engine and the other is on the left side of the engine just forward of the shifter. If I remember correctly it has a 13mm hex head bolt. My 07 calls for PS-4 0w-50 oil, reading other peoples postings on 08 models they say there puting in 0w-40. If you like the Outlaw like I do, I would DEFFINETLY change the oil after 3 hrs of use. It's the engines life blood the has alot of metal particals in it from the initial break-in. I changed the air filter to a K&N, removed the spark arrestor from the stock trash can and rejeted the carb. It did a good job of waken the engine up and gave a deeper exhaust note. Good Luck........:D

bpjr07
01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Went to the dealer were I bought the quad took the manual.. They tried selling me different oil since they don't have any that is required. Were can I get the oil and
filters aside of a dealer?

Also what is the Polaris oil change kit that I seen online? What is included? Is it worth it?

Also is it ok to store it standing up?

OutlawBill
01-07-2009, 12:21 AM
did the first oil change at 3 hrs have the dealer due if possible the lower screen is a pain and very easy too strip out and have them put in the hex head bolt. I now use K&N oil filters and Shell Rotella 15W40 oil $12 a gal at Wallmat. I replace the filters every 3rd oil change.

Chris525
01-07-2009, 04:19 AM
Rotella syn. 5w-40 here and I change the filters and clean the screens every other
If you shut the gas off I would think it would be ok to store it standing up, but I've never done it

TINKRD
01-07-2009, 06:53 AM
as far as mods a jet kit will easily wake the bike up.

my first two mods were: K&N filter and jet kit.

night and day difference. not only WOT but throughout the throttle range.

sheriff525
01-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Quad magazine has been my choice. I am also using the same oil as bill Rotella 15W40. It is a diesel oil but works with the wet clutches on the KTM motors. I am very happy with it and especially how much cheaper it is. There are aftermarket brand oil filters. I have been changing them every oil change. Maybe I don't need to with what everyone else is saying.

Evasiveone
01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
This is the bolt OutlawBill is referring to. Brap Hex Bolt for RFS engine (http://brapoffroad.com/bolts.htm) The "RFS" is simply what KTM refers to their Racing Four Stroke. I would also let the dealer do the first 3 hour oil change. A large number of people have had problems getting the stock allen head short screw bolt out and many that did not have problems the first time ended up having problems later. So get that bolt and have the dealer put it in instead of the stock one at the first change. After that oil change every 15 hours with Rotella T synthetic 5w-40. After the first initial 3 oil changes I also went to changing the filters every other time. For the filters I use KTM filters (http://www.cyclezonektm.com/eshopprod_cat_1633-12420-12458_product_150313_keyword_ktm+AND+oil+AND+filte rs.HI_FLO_OIL_FILTER_SET_FOR_KTM_.htm)

Definately rejet it with a JD Jet kit, Hands down the best jet kit for the KTM engine.

bpjr07
01-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all the info guys... Were going to do the first oil change tho because dealer only has 20-40.

I'm going to get one of the short strainer bolts expensive but sounds worth it.

OutlawBill
01-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Be very careful on removing the short screen bolt it is a very tight fit. An air impact wrench works great on the first removal it is either a 6 or 8mm alien head.

patrickj75
01-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I have a KTM but same thing motorwise. I use Motorex 10w40 and Ready Racing reusable filters. I've had good luck with this combo so far. I have also used Rotella in my 450R I had and that seemed good as well.

ROB450mxr
01-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Be careful with the screen by the shifter because I believe it is tapered so pay attention to which way it comes out when u remove it... Theres gotta be some reason its like that. Good Luck

bpjr07
01-07-2009, 05:00 PM
all done I went with Polaris oil that is recomended and don't have too much troble on the short strainer we used a jack handle for extra leverage we took longer finding the size of the long strainer bolt. LOL

And got ltm filters also. But I will read up more on was is a good. Cheap alternative oil for the future and also get the new short strainer bolt for the next oil change..
How do u guys clean the strainers!??

sheriff525
01-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Air Compressor with a blower tip. I then rap a clean rag around the outside which also helps me hold the strainer. I then use the air to blow it out from the inside out. Then once it is clean I take another rag and wipe it down so i can handle it easier. I accidentally dropped the strainer once and it landed and rolled into a pile of dirt which made it hard to clean that is why I use a rag when i am cleaning it.

bpjr07
01-07-2009, 09:49 PM
cool thanks thats the way i cleaned it also my brother said he poured oil till the window showed about 3/4 of oil...

he added about 1.4 quarts sounds right?

and do you really have to fill up the new oil filters with oil before putting them in my bro made a mess doing it he said that's the way to do it.?

i told him you just put some on the rim of the filter opening for lubrication.

thanks for all the help sorry about all the questions just new to this and really don't wanna fudge anything up.

525Outlaw#55
01-08-2009, 05:38 AM
I don't believe you have to fill up the new filters with oil, I just put a little around the filter opening. As far as how much to put in, I always fill it up til the site glass shows 1/4-1/2 and no more than that

sleddog66
01-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Ya, don't overfill the oil or you will lose power, and more importantly, create excessive crankcase pressure. Oil should only be 1/4 full cold. As long as there is a little in the window. It will go to 3/4 or even full when hot.

Evasiveone
01-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Just pour the filter about 1/4 full and it will seep into the paper element without making a mess. I have been told there are 2 reasons for pre-soaking the filter.
1. The first is that there have been cases of the dry filter collapsing from the pressure increase and no fluid moving through at first startup. Kinda like when you suck on a straw with your finger over the end how it will collapse the straw.
2.The second was the time it takes to saturate the filter and get oil to the moving parts at the very first startup.

If you do not want to pre soak the filter you can pull the spark plug wire off and use the starter to crank the engine to get the oil primed into the filters.

bpjr07
01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Evasiveone
This is the bolt OutlawBill is referring to. Brap Hex Bolt for RFS engine (http://brapoffroad.com/bolts.htm) The "RFS" is simply what KTM refers to their Racing Four Stroke. I would also let the dealer do the first 3 hour oil change. A large number of people have had problems getting the stock allen head short screw bolt out and many that did not have problems the first time ended up having problems later. So get that bolt and have the dealer put it in instead of the stock one at the first change. After that oil change every 15 hours with Rotella T synthetic 5w-40. After the first initial 3 oil changes I also went to changing the filters every other time. For the filters I use KTM filters (http://www.cyclezonektm.com/eshopprod_cat_1633-12420-12458_product_150313_keyword_ktm+AND+oil+AND+filte rs.HI_FLO_OIL_FILTER_SET_FOR_KTM_.htm)

Definately rejet it with a JD Jet kit, Hands down the best jet kit for the KTM engine.

Thanks for the info! just bought the stronger oil drain plug and the short strainer bolt replacement and will be replacing them at the 20 hour mark.

even tho i was easy to take the bolt out the first time i still think its better to be safe..also saw a bunch of crud on the oil drain plug so i think it would be nice to get a stronger one.