PDA

View Full Version : 2002 sportsman 700 sputtering at high RPM's, only under load, no tin nutral

petergoyer
01-06-2009, 07:20 AM
i got a sweetheart of a deal on an 02 for like 500 bucks, the previous owner was a "do it yerselfer" and drained th oil and coolant for his 500k service, problem is he forgot to add coolant, long story short i bought the bike and had the motor rebuilt, allong with many new parts as it had been sitting for a while, ie, intake manifold, bearing, boots ect,
the bike ran fine for about 2 months then i took it out the other day and it seemed to not be the powerhouse it used to be, and at about 3/4 throttle it sputters and there is no throttle responce, it almost actl like it is choking,
the guys riding behind me said they some some black smoke, when i run it in my garage im getting some black sut on the floor,
it runs great at low RPM then when yo push it, it starts acting up

im at a loss, it ran fine then abng runs not so fine..............

any ideas ????
thanks
Pete

HCRacing
01-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by petergoyer
i got a sweetheart of a deal on an 02 for like 500 bucks, the previous owner was a "do it yerselfer" and drained th oil and coolant for his 500k service, problem is he forgot to add coolant, long story short i bought the bike and had the motor rebuilt, allong with many new parts as it had been sitting for a while, ie, intake manifold, bearing, boots ect,
the bike ran fine for about 2 months then i took it out the other day and it seemed to not be the powerhouse it used to be, and at about 3/4 throttle it sputters and there is no throttle responce, it almost actl like it is choking,
the guys riding behind me said they some some black smoke, when i run it in my garage im getting some black sut on the floor,
it runs great at low RPM then when yo push it, it starts acting up

im at a loss, it ran fine then abng runs not so fine..............

any ideas ????
thanks
Pete

Well sounds to me that maybe the choke cable isn't right or the carb is getting plugged up . check and make sure the choke is all the way off on the carb. some where your getting to much fuel to the carb.
Fuzzy

petergoyer
01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
ya now that i think about it , the last time a rode it, we were in mud and water, then we had a a cold snap, ill bet anything i got water in the chok eline and it froze!!!

thanks ill let ya know if that works or not!!!

HCRacing
01-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Somewhere your getting to much gas all of a sudden. Let me know..