PDA

View Full Version : Another computer question, linking more than one computer to one printer

derekhonda
01-06-2009, 07:04 AM
I got online and was looking for some kind of a usb adapter or joiner/coupler but couldnt really find anything. What would be the technical name I need something that catches 2 or 3 usbs and joins them into one slot cause thats all the printer has. Any ideas where to get one?

adawg89
01-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
I got online and was looking for some kind of a usb adapter or joiner/coupler but couldnt really find anything. What would be the technical name I need something that catches 2 or 3 usbs and joins them into one slot cause thats all the printer has. Any ideas where to get one?

Do you mean the computer only has one usb? I never heard of printer using 2-3 usb or are you trying to get the printer on the network so everyone on your network (like from the laptop or different pc) can print without having it actually hooked up to there pc?

Ok I read the thread title again. Ok you need to get your printer on the network so multiple users can print.
ok I assume it already on a computer hooked up and installed already?
Ok go to start>control panel>printer and other hardware>printer and faxes then when you get there right click on the printer icon that you have installed and click "sharing...." then you will be prompt with a window and there will be a box on giving the printer a name put then name to what ever you want then hit ok everything else should be right.

Then go on the other computers and go to start>control panel>printer and other hardware>printer and faxes then once in there in a empty area right click and click on "add printer" then a window will be prompt up and click next and on the second screen click "network printer, or printer attached to another computer" then click next and click the "browse for the printer" then it should show any available printers on the network could be under MSHOME or WORKGROUP if you are having trouble having the other computer "seeing" the printer then let me know. Also let me know if you have any computer on windows vista. Vista is PITA when having it work with Windows XP. if your other computers see the printer do a print test on the computer.

PM me if you are having trouble.

derekhonda
01-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks for that response, but no I will be able to make the computers all recognize the printer etc. The printer only has one usb input, meaning only one computer can hook into it. I need a splitter so that I can hook multiple computers into it.

See if this works

Comp 1 comp 2 comp 3
| | |
| ------------ |
-------------X---------------------------------------
|
|
Printer

I need the X

derekhonda
01-06-2009, 07:44 AM
damn internet.

Anyways i just need the connector

derekhonda
01-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Do it the hard way

adawg89
01-06-2009, 07:56 AM
I know what you mean that x is the LAN (local area network) if your multiple computers are hooked into a router with ethernet cable than use the instructions I gave you. You don't need to be anything special to have multiple computers print to one printer if you have the computer already hooked up to a router.

Edit: WOW really I'm sorry but the instruction I gave you is what you do to have multiple computers hooke into a router. Man I'm sorry if I go off the deep end just I forgot this isn't a computer forum. I'm use to people understanding on what I am talking about.

EDIT EDIT: here is a video if you cannot understand my typing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJsevOqv3fQ

<DRS>GPF
01-06-2009, 11:38 AM
you could also use a print server: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=387&name=Network-Print-Servers

just make sure the print server you pick is compatible with your printer.

adawg89
01-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
you could also use a print server: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=387&name=Network-Print-Servers

just make sure the print server you pick is compatible with your printer.

He can use the pc already connected the printer as a print server also.

coryatver
01-06-2009, 12:09 PM
You can buy a usb switch that you plug both computers into and then plug the switch into the printer. Then you can just switch between the computers. Networking them like above would probably be easier if you know how to do it.

adawg89
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
You can buy a usb switch that you plug both computers into and then plug the switch into the printer. Then you can just switch between the computers. Networking them like above would probably be easier if you know how to do it.

and don't need to spend money on it either. I did this and all of my computers print to that printer. I don't think he understand what I put (my bad grammer) but I did put the link of a video for him.

<DRS>GPF
01-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by adawg89
He can use the pc already connected the printer as a print server also.

agreed, he could.. but it would mean that PC must always be on for anybody to print.(which i found to be a pain in the arse)

adawg89
01-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
agreed, he could.. but it would mean that PC must always be on for anybody to print.(which i found to be a pain in the arse)

True unless that pc has a ethernet connection on it where her can hook into the router but I doubt it really.

derekhonda
01-06-2009, 06:47 PM
They are all hooked into a router, but it is just a basic 2wire 4 port, im not sure if there is any outputs coming back out to run to a printer...is that what you are getting at?

adawg89
01-06-2009, 08:00 PM
They are all hooked into a router, but it is just a basic 2wire 4 port, im not sure if there is any outputs coming back out to run to a printer...is that what you are getting at?

No some printers like the kind companies has a ethernet port for network printer but that is for companies. Like the usb printer is fine for home use if the computer that is hooked into the printer is on the 2wire router you will be able to have all computers be able to print on the LAN network just watch the video I linked you to help you.

Ralph
01-07-2009, 09:52 AM
All you gotta do is install the printer on one computer that is connected to your home network.

Then go to control panel, printer, etc and find your printer. Right click on it and look for something about sharing. Click ok.

Then go to one of the computers on your network and go to printers, and then add printer. Select network printer and it will scan your network for that printer. Once it finds it hit next/ok.

Setup should be pretty easy.

adawg89
01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
All you gotta do is install the printer on one computer that is connected to your home network.

Then go to control panel, printer, etc and find your printer. Right click on it and look for something about sharing. Click ok.

Then go to one of the computers on your network and go to printers, and then add printer. Select network printer and it will scan your network for that printer. Once it finds it hit next/ok.

Setup should be pretty easy.

I told him that on the 2nd post.

derekhonda
01-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Well thank both of you, I am not quite to that step yet still doing a complete office transformation...very time consuming. That is the way that the main computer always has to be on though...correct?

adawg89
01-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Well thank both of you, I am not quite to that step yet still doing a complete office transformation...very time consuming. That is the way that the main computer always has to be on though...correct?

You can when you mean office do you mean home office? But if you don't want the main pc to be on all the time you can use a print server but if you want to save money then just use main pc either way its your suggestion I use to have a print server from linksys 5 years ago since we had multiple pc's

derekhonda
01-10-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm all set up finally! Thanks a bunch guys.