PDA

View Full Version : Front End Alignment

dave4881
01-05-2009, 11:31 PM
I just picked up an 05 400EX and the front wheels look like they have too much toe-in.
The tierods look straight and no damage.
Anyone know the correct way to check for proper alignment on these?

Another issue I found on the quad is someone must have reversed one of the rear rims. The right rim & tire sits farther out than the front rim & tire, but on the left side, the rear tire/wheel sits inside the front tire/wheel. The rims look like the stock aluminum ones. What is the correct setup?

BossHogg420
01-05-2009, 11:59 PM
adjust the toe by adjust the tie rods on the a arms can't help u with the 2nd question

crazyatvn
01-07-2009, 08:11 PM
BossHogg clean out your pm box can't send you PM

BossHogg420
01-07-2009, 10:40 PM
sorry its clean now

dunatic
01-07-2009, 11:05 PM
it maybe an optical illusion. What you might have going on is the thrust angle is way off and it looks like one rear tire is sucked in further.

First, look to see if both rear wheels have the valve stem on the outside. If they don't, then flip the one that isn't around.

Then, sit on the bike and put the handlebars straight as they feel to you (not how the tires look). Now take a pair of tie downs, connect them to the ends of the bars and to your grab bar so the handlebars cant/wont move.

Now take a measuring tape and measure the distance from center of the tire on both the front back of the front tires. Loosen your tie rods and make them even for now.

Now take a broom handle and lay it flat across the outside of your rear tire extending forward to the outside of the front tire. is the entire front tire the same distance from the stick ? do this to both sides and check.

Now next make them so they are even from the stick by adjusting the tie rods. before you tighten the jam nuts, check your toe one more time, correct it if it needs to be. check the stick measurement again....just keep correcting them til everything is perfect.

Does this make sense ?

If you take the time to do it right, the bike will ride like it has power steering.

I have fixed more F-d up alignments in my days then Id care to mention. Peps think they can just slap on some a-arms, set the toe and ride it. Well I guess you can, but it will never be right.

dave4881
01-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the detailed info. That is what I was looking for.

The left rear tire/wheel was on backwards with the valve stem inside. I turned it around and now it looks better. Duh! (Previous owner obviously didn't notice it).

I took simple toe-in measurements and found I have about a 1/2" of toe-in. I think it's a little too much toe-in. Technically it's in spec, but I like things a little better than just "OK".
According to the service manual I just received, it recommends from 2/5th to 3/5ths of an inch (11-15mm).

I'll try using your method for the alignment. I'll probably have to read it a couple of times to fully understand it, though. :(

Thanks again!

I'm thinking of getting new tires & rims (ITP). Will the new ones have the same off-set as the stock rims?

dunatic
01-07-2009, 11:46 PM
the reason for toe in is for racing. Your outside tire does all the work. If its toed in a lil it turns in quicker.

If your not gonna race it, but rather trail ride and have fun, set it up as near straight as you can. Less resistance, less drag, easier it is to roll straight ahead and less power required to do so.

Good Luck

dave4881
01-08-2009, 12:05 AM
I agree. That's what I'll do.

I only race against myself! That way, I never lose!

Thanks for your help! It is very much appreciated.

dunatic
01-08-2009, 12:23 AM
np

BossHogg420
01-08-2009, 12:50 AM
how should u set up ur toe if u race xc?

dunatic
01-08-2009, 12:59 AM
If I was gonna setup a front end for XC racing, 1/8-3/16" toe in is all Id do.

Track racing is a whole different story.

dave4881
01-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by dunatic
it maybe an optical illusion. What you might have going on is the thrust angle is way off and it looks like one rear tire is sucked in further.

First, look to see if both rear wheels have the valve stem on the outside. If they don't, then flip the one that isn't around.

Then, sit on the bike and put the handlebars straight as they feel to you (not how the tires look). Now take a pair of tie downs, connect them to the ends of the bars and to your grab bar so the handlebars cant/wont move.

Now take a measuring tape and measure the distance from center of the tire on both the front back of the front tires. Loosen your tie rods and make them even for now.

Now take a broom handle and lay it flat across the outside of your rear tire extending forward to the outside of the front tire. is the entire front tire the same distance from the stick ? do this to both sides and check.

Now next make them so they are even from the stick by adjusting the tie rods. before you tighten the jam nuts, check your toe one more time, correct it if it needs to be. check the stick measurement again....just keep correcting them til everything is perfect.

Does this make sense ?

If you take the time to do it right, the bike will ride like it has power steering.

I have fixed more F-d up alignments in my days then Id care to mention. Peps think they can just slap on some a-arms, set the toe and ride it. Well I guess you can, but it will never be right.

Wow, I aligned the front end on my 400EX like you suggested and now it's great. No more fighting the terrain and rolls easily and smoothly.

Thanks again! This should be a Sticky!!

dunatic
01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Ill probably put together a step by step with pics here in the next month....then maybe we can get it to a sticky